Old 10-04-2019, 08:17 AM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
(assuming it is a crack)
The metal is rust color so I assume it saw high moisture enough so that it built up at wood juncture and that's what that looks like to me...a corrosion line which extends horizontally(with the stock) starting at the receiver barrel junction. "I Think" its a long line of corrosion.... Quite possibly "Pitted" deep enough to appear as a crack at the receiver barrel junction....but you can follow its corrosion line a long ways along the receiver rearward toward the guns butt...that direction.

That is Tough Machined Steel.......
Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
My concern would be how that crack got there in the first place.
Like did it happen when the pin was driven in, or, ???
Old 10-04-2019, 12:39 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As long as the barrel is tight and the chamber in the barrel is not cracked or bulged personally I would have no concern. Not only is the pressure low but the case is small. But JMHO

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Nasaboy87

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
The metal is rust color so I assume it saw high moisture enough so that it built up at wood juncture and that's what that looks like to me...a corrosion line which extends horizontally(with the stock) starting at the receiver barrel junction. "I Think" its a long line of corrosion.... Quite possibly "Pitted" deep enough to appear as a crack at the receiver barrel junction....but you can follow its corrosion line a long ways along the receiver rearward toward the guns butt...that direction.

That is Tough Machined Steel.......
I live in southeast MO so humidity in the 80's is a daily occurrence (even in the winter), plus it's at least 70 years old, so this may be what caused the problem. I'm going to try to clean off as much rust as I can when I have a few free hours.

Sent from my G9 using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2019, 09:11 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasaboy87 View Post
I live in southeast MO so humidity in the 80's is a daily occurrence (even in the winter), plus it's at least 70 years old, so this may be what caused the problem. I'm going to try to clean off as much rust as I can when I have a few free hours.

Sent from my G9 using Tapatalk
I think that's a good idea Nasaboy87. I can't help but see a line of "demarcation" or boundary/separation shown in your picture, which I believe was caused from moisture. That line has some length to it. It sure does look nastiest at the receiver/barrel junction. There are salts involved in the bluing process and maybe these get released and intensify corrosion during the corrosion process. No expert, but bluing breakdown isn't a nice thing. Sorry not preaching to you at all, things happen to us at times beyond our control.

There is a product that is supposed to remove rust without damaging any remaining bluing called "Big 45" it looks like a copper dish cleaning pad but it is supposed to be different than those. It's supposed to basically have tiny razor sharp edges that slice rust off leaving the harder bluing unharmed.

Good luck. I certainly hope it is corrosion as that wouldn't be as serious as a crack. Again, could be corrosion because I see that "Line" in the picture that extends thru to the end at barrel/receiver. The barrel/receiver junction is probably where the moisture met more air. Moisture + oxygen = greater degradation.

P.S. Those tiny white areas in the photo could be salts caught in depressions...the worst thing. I could be wrong but when I see white like that it says salt to me. That is unless we know it is otherwise...for instance left over "dry wax".
Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 PM
noisy2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
receiver

nasaboy i have a receiver that looks like that from what little i can tell from pics had it forever send some pics to [email protected] if its a match you can have it