Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Floyman1011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 540x

Im pretty new to RFC, but I would appreciate any info to the following question. I recently traded a CZ 457 MTR for a rem 540x. The 540x outshoots the Cz hands down. Here is my question. I zeroed the scope at 50 feet ( thats what we shoot at our local sportsman club) at 50 yrds its 3 1/2" left. Can anyone tell me what would cause this to happen. I have changed scope mounts and that didn't help.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reason is the angle relationship of your sights over distance. Your so close at 50 feet that you aren't seeing the horizontal dispersion and sight deviation in your sights. Your rifle accuracy has no problem hiding your horizontal/vertical dispersion that close in. Anyone can shoot "tight groups" at 50 feet with an optic. It's not an accurate representation of zero.

At 50ft every click on your optic is a very very small adjustment...whereas at 50yds a click might equal an 1/8" shift for example. At 50 feet its less than half that. So you think your zeroed but your really not.

Sight in at 50yds......then dial back down to your 50 foot elevation setting. That will take out your horizontal error for both distances given you have no wind to speak of.

Last edited by DaleSalmon; 10-03-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 AM
tomon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Thumbs up Second that suggestion!

If it CAN"T get there, then it may be a Ring problem.
I just had to fix that problem on my Remington 513T. I use Burris Signature Rings with the interchangeable Inserts. They rotate 360 Degrees so can take out any imperfections and rifle/scope alignment. .010 Inserts spun 90* enabled it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 07:26 PM
d2wing
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is normally caused by a canted scope. The plane of the vertical crosshair must intersect the bore in the center. Also the rifle must be shot with that line vertical. Also check to see that the barrel and receiver are square with each other and the rings are not offset.