Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:52 PM
DR75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
Overall, what is the absolute best SV 22lr ammo I can buy?

Yeah, yeah. Varies from one gun to the next, blah, blah.
But, overall who consistently has better quality, and consistency?
Eley shooters on the World Cup circuit win the most medals by far.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:17 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree with jaia about good ammo being good in any rifle with a good barrel. The main reason people send their rifle to test centers is they can have their rifle tested in locked down system and 10 or 15 different lots. As he pointed out, these folks are looking for the smallest groups they can get. In the long run, it's cheaper to have them do it then to buy 10 or 15 test lots and have to test them off a less than perfect rest and do the testing in different conditions.

Having said that, "my rifle likes one brand/type". That may be, especially in barrels that are thinner than usually used in competition due to barrel harmonics. But I will gaurentee that lot A of Brand/type A will not shoot the same as lot B of Brand/Type A. If that were the case, there would be no need for testing. As an example, I had a lot of SK STD + that was outstanding which shot a .319 five shot group at 100 yards for the online 100 yard best group match and another lot that would barely hold a 2" group at 100 yards.

Here is another example. Each group average is the result of 15 two shot groups and all shooting of the test lots was done at the same time. Three test lots of Lapua Center X. Average groups. .144 .230 and .236. Lot one was different from lots 2 and 3 to the 99% confidence level. Four test lots of Lapua Midas. Average groups .168 .176 .189 .261 Lot four was different from lots 1, 2 and 3 to the 97% confidence level. If you were buying one lot of each, which would you buy on would you just say "Oh send me any lot".
Old 10-05-2019, 09:41 AM
SteelPig
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to SteelPig Send a message via AIM to SteelPig
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
Overall, what is the absolute best SV 22lr ammo I can buy?

Yeah, yeah. Varies from one gun to the next, blah, blah.
But, overall who consistently has better quality, and consistency?

I'm perfectly content paying $15 for a box of 50.
I wont be using this for plinking. It will be for squirrel hunting only. I'll gladly pay the extra $, and have less chance of a flyer, than spend $4 a box on something that is responsible for a miss.
I myself don't understand the want to save $ on ammo, unless you're just popping away at cans. The "pretty good" ammo has no place tor me. I either want pure junk, that cycles, or I want the absolute best there is. Nothing in between.
Especially since one box of 50 will get me through an entire squirrel season.

Fwiw, CCI Sv, and Aquila Pistol shoot allright, but are too inconsistent.
Norma Tac 22 has proved the best, but I haven't ventured into the high end Lapua stuff.
I get that what is good for you may not work for me. But give me a jumping off point, and some suggestions to experiment with.

Oh, Cz455
If price is not a problem and you are willing to buy bulk to have the best for your particular gun.

Time for a vacation or two. Texas and Arizona.

Eley in Texas and Lapua in Arizona.

Each have sites that will find the best shooting lots of current ammo.

Purchase by the case after you find what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May have been mentioned before but what gun do you have?
Old 10-05-2019, 10:02 PM
SteelPig
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to SteelPig Send a message via AIM to SteelPig
Sent 54.18 MS and got a couple of cases of Tenex. But still working off the last of the UM1 and 900b. Still use her for rabbits and squirrels with most any ammo. You may find some brand or specific offerings to be more consistent than others lower standard deviation and extreme spread. More consistent seating and less deformation all of these help with consistancy..
Actual performance in a given gun incorporates harmonics. When loading center fire we can build loads to the gun, with rim fire we have to match loads to the gun.

Last edited by SteelPig; 10-05-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:07 PM
Texdance
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Awhile back the tests at Accurateshooter.com were referenced. They were well conducted, using a $10k Bleiker on a rest and a 25x scope. But after nearly 10 years are those results really a measurement to be used? I think not. Manufacturers may have changed formulas or processes or materials since then.

As has been stated many times, every rifle shoots ammo differently, due to things like trigger pull, lockup time, chambering, bedding, barrel diameter and stiffness, and the all-important Operator.

Careful testing of several lots of ammo, shooting from a rest, using the preferred scope, and with the target at the preferred distance is the only way to be sure. Even so, there will be flyers - the best manufacturing is good, but not perfect. When I was testing ammo I always recorded flyers to see how many shots would fly out of the expected circle. I judged any shot that was >1 standard deviation further out from group center (not center of aim) was a flyer, and recorded as such. Too many flyers could kill an ammo for use in target shooting. Excel has an easy function to determine StdDev and from there it is a small step to identify which groups contain a flyer (with good ammo and 4 or 5-shot groups I can't recall ever getting two flyers in one group.)
Old 10-15-2019, 03:32 PM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post
Lapua Midas or Eley Tenex Ultmate (depending on which lube you like). Both $21-$25/box.
I'm going to echo this one here. Tenex Ultimate is amazing in a couple of my guns. lapua doesn't outshoot it in any, but gets ALMOST identical in a few.
Lapua biathlon is the best cold weather ammo.

/shrug. test,test,test.
YMMV but testing is EASY with 22lr. Even tenex ultimate EPS is only like ~$0.25-0.40/rnd. That's _nothing_ compared to centerfire match ammo.

I have one older 24" Savage/Stevens/Springfield 87a that shoots Aguila HV like a lazer out to ~75-100yds. But the Aguila isn't consistent enough to be awesome. But it's proof that some guns just like some kinds of ammo.
see the testing comments.