Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Wood_Chopper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My best performance at 50 feet to 50 yards comes from Eley Match. Ruger 10-22 with GM heavy barrel, stock CZ 452 scout and CZ 452 trainer. I get consistent .5 to .3 inch 5 shot groups with bipod and rear bag. Over 100 yards out to 200 CCI SV. Go figure.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:44 PM
egt45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only have results for 50 yrds. All groups are 10 shot groups. Wolf match target best .270 ave. about .5-.7, SK std + best .321 ave. .5-7, Eley club best .375 ave. about .5 to .7, CCI SV best .576 ave. about 1-1.1, Lapua Center-X best .614. Didn't really check the averages that well. Shooting Savage 22LR B22 heavy barrel, Bushnell 6-24 x 40 scope.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Jodwillow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accurate Shooter .22 ammo

That test was done in 2010. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the same ammo brands (or newer versions of same) in a rematch--can you measure the "consistant performance" factor over a 9 year spread?

My nominee for the best performing SV in the greatest # of my guns, and in the "flatnose" catagory is SK Flatnose Match, a bargain for under $10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 09:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RWS R50, Eley Tenex, Eley Match and Lapua Midas+. Won national titles with all of them with the same rifle.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:12 PM
WLD1956

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you can find Federal Gold Match or Ultra Match by all means buy it. The Best Ely wont out group them in my Kimber 82, Rem 513 or Rem 540X. Consider Geco. You will be amazed with the accuracy from this $4 box ammo. Consistent 1/4" (or better) at 25yds from the same rifles and my 455 Trainer.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
Overall, what is the absolute best SV 22lr ammo I can buy?

Yeah, yeah. Varies from one gun to the next, blah, blah.
But, overall who consistently has better quality, and consistency?
Money is ALWAYS an issue, and you answered your own question However I disagree About CCI and suggest Eley Tenex or Lapua Get your wallet out
Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 PM
1813Anschutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ammo

If you want to be in the winners circle then 1813Benny is spot on!!

From there each rifle has its quirks.....

Randy
Old 10-04-2019, 07:39 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Varies from one gun to the next? I'm going to disagree. Like that's a surprise, right?
I've found that if the ammo has a minimum of defects and consistent muzzle velocities,
it will shoot well from all the rifles tried. I think folks assuming that a rifle has a preferred brand
are attributing the favoritism to the luck of the ammo production line lottery.
Quality of cartridges vary over time at the factory. Differences in components, slippage in tolerances
due to wear on the machinery and changes in powder/primer chemistry all can cause one box of ammo
to produce absolutely amazing results, the next box will throw odd strays. Those changes in quality
are the problem, not that the rifles like a certain brand. Test with a box of well made ammo, you get good results.
Next rifle tried, you get a less than stellar box and you blame the rifle for having a preference.
It does. It doesn't shoot well with lower quality ammunition. That's the reason lot testing is so important.

When money is no concern, take or ship the rifle to the RWS, Lapua or Eley test facilities.
Try a variety of lot numbers, find the best batch, buy a bunch.

Last edited by jaia; 10-04-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Fundy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try RWS Rifle Match Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose. About $13.00/50. They also offer a less expensive practice round for about $7.00.

Works great in my CZ 452.

Last edited by Fundy; 10-04-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post

Varies from one gun to the next? I'm going to disagree. Like that's a surprise, right?
I've found that if the ammo has a minimum of defects and consistent muzzle velocities,
it will shoot well from all the rifles tried
. I think folks assuming that a rifle has a preferred brand
are attributing the favoritism to the luck of the ammo production line lottery.
Quality of cartridges vary over time at the factory. Differences in components, slippage in tolerances
due to wear on the machinery and changes in powder/primer chemistry all can cause one box of ammo
to produce absolutely amazing results, the next box will throw odd strays. Those changes in quality
are the problem, not that the rifles like a certain brand. Test with a box of well made ammo, you get good results.
Next rifle tried, you get a less than stellar box and you blame the rifle for having a preference.
It does. It doesn't shoot well with lower quality ammunition. That's the reason lot testing is so important.

When money is no concern, take or ship the rifle to the RWS, Lapua or Eley test facilities.
Try a variety of lot numbers, find the best batch
, buy a bunch.
I'm confused Your first highlighted statement seems at odds with the last one. You say that accuracy will not be rifle specific, but you counsel the op to test the high cost ammo with his own rifle. I know you have a LOT more experience than I do testing .22 ammo, but all my rifles shoot better with a specific brand and type of ammo. I have not shot the more expensive stuff other than some Eley, but this principle seems to hold true in general.

One other point I'd make from my considerable more experience reloading and testing centerfire ammo: consistent velocity does not always result in the most accurate loads. Recently, I was testing some .308 loads for my heavy barrel Howa target rifle which I narrowed down to 3 loads based on accuracy. The least accurate load of the 3 finalists was by far the most consistent in velocity. I know in the perfect world it should be more accurate, but in the real world other factors come into play.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:26 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm covering my butt, G.
Most folks want to test with their rifles and won't accept the results from anything else.
If money is no concern and y'er chasing that last thousandth of an inch, test with y'er rifle.
That way you can say with confidence "it was what the rifle liked".

I know, I'm still a wize adze.

I've been trying all the brands of rimfire I can put my hands on.
What I've found is that if it shoots well in my rifles, it shoots well in others also.
I don't mind handing off a box to another member at the local range to try.
When it produces decent results at 200 yards, it does extremely well at 50.

Side note G.
Only been reloading for precision a couple of years now.
It was that which forced me to take a careful look at rimfire ammunition quality.
Seeing the results with variations in my hand loads and comparing to rimfire cartridges
and what was happening with the 22lr, 17hmr and 22wmr at 50 yards and beyond.
Didn't realize how even small changes in cartridge assembly can cause such differences in poi.

Last edited by jaia; 10-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Corkymoore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lapua is best . for squirrels CCI standard with the little bulls eye on box does a dime at 50 yards no flyers or miss fires 4.00 a box very consistent
Old 10-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Corkymoore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wolf is a step up from cci standArd
Old 10-04-2019, 12:35 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the op for sure on one thing, if you find that ammo and you use it only for hunting a brick will last for several years. BUT only if your rifle is also hunting specific and you don't shoot it with any other ammo in the off season, have to clean it, maybe change stock, maybe change anything. Think about it, if you only shoot squirrels you may not need to clean it in for a decade. To accomplish this I will need a small safe with a time lock that will only open the day before the season opens.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the explanation Jaia!

As to reloading you will find that the deeper you get into the "dark arts" of it, the more confounding it can be! As you say, everything that you do will affect accuracy not just primer, bullet and powder type. You will end up spending many $$$$ on exotica like case trimmers, run out gauges, annealers etc. before the madness is over I now find the reloading part of shooting almost as compelling as the actual shooting