Money is no concern! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Overall, what is the absolute best SV 22lr ammo I can buy?
Lapua Midas or Eley Tenex Ultmate (depending on which lube you like). Both $21-$25/box.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:43 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What a cool link to all that testing. Good to see a mix of high to economical ammo!

I have several .22LR rifles that I haven't gotten around to shooting. I'm hoping that most will like CCI Mini-Mag HP and Ely Subsonic HP.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
I tried a brick of SK Pistol Match and Pistol Match special. I was underwhelmed.

I have several cases of Eley Force that out shoots the SK.
I have shot Eley Force. Not even close to SK Pistol Match when it come to accuracy or consistency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All my ammo is for 50yd BR and my shooting in always budget dependent, my tuppence worth says.

Budget Range - Best bang for buck has to go to SK Std +, SK Rifle Match, and SK Pistol Match. Currently trying SK Flat Nose Basic and getting very good results.

Mid Range - RWS R50 and RWS Special Match.

Top End If money no object, Eley and Laupa.

If I was forced to choose just two I would pick SK PM and RWS R50.

Giz
Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
I tried a brick of SK Pistol Match and Pistol Match special. I was underwhelmed.

I have several cases of Eley Force that out shoots the SK.
I have shot Eley Force. Not even close to SK Pistol Match when it come to accuracy or consistency.
I guess that only proves what jaia learned during his 200 yard ammo testing. Rimfire ammo varies greatly from lot to lot.

My lots of SK weren't great. My lots of Eley are great.

There was a time when CCI SV was my go to. It always shot well in my guns. Then I got a case that really sucked and shot 4" 100 yard groups in everything I tried it in.

The moral to the story is that neither the label, nor the price, will guarantee accurate ammo. Test until you get lucky with some ammo, then buy a bunch of that lot.

Last edited by CamP; 10-01-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
True that. Eley Force I had shot good one day. I went back and bought more of same lot. Then shot it again same condition type day and it was inconsistent. I don't get that from SK Pistol Match. I have shot it in several different good barrels. All have shot it well for me. My better barrels are where you really see the accuracy. My Douglas barrel 10/22 really shoots it well. Kidd barrels love it and so do GM. I have had just a few boxes that I noticed didn't shoot like the rest. When SK Pistol Match went to this newer bright green packaging I got some. It's a killer.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
But that's not saying you can't get some not so great SK Pistol Match. All I can go off of is what I myself have received. I have been very pleased even at 100yds it has performed very well.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post
Lapua Midas or Eley Tenex Ultmate (depending on which lube you like). Both $21-$25/box.
As I posted earlier today, a brick of Midas + comes to me for $154 delivered. That prices includes $13 in taxes. This is using the code STV and AJ cash back ($4).

The Center X bricks comes to me at $108, again, including the tax and using code MDX and AJ.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The OP said for tree rats, did I miss where he said he would use rn for em?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I like eley for this type of use. from a cold, clean bore the lube seems to be more consistent POI as warm. I would use tenex for this.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:54 PM
the_rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eley or CCI SV
Old 10-03-2019, 07:20 PM
razorSharp5621

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am an amateur but getting better. I've probably only shot 2-3000 rounds in the last year which is more than some folks but way less than the good shooters. I have tried MANY different kinds of ammo though--at least 30 different types. The Center X does perform more consistently in my 10/22 and CZ-455. I haven't had good luck with SK or Eley but a lot of people recommend them so I may try again. The Federal Premium Gold Medal Ultra Match has also been consistent for me in those rifles. I have noticed that one box will shoot better than the next so I started tracking my lot numbers.

To me, trying different ammo is a lot of fun--sometimes frustrating, but fun. Write all the data on the target (distance, ammo type, weather, location, etc.) and review them every now and then. That will show patterns and help to tell if the barrel is wearing out.

Note, all of my shooting is suppressed now-a-days. I just love the click of a suppressed .22 LR bolt action rifle. Once I drop my deer and turkey with the bow this year I am thinking about crow hunting and hoping I can hit a few of them from long distance before they even know anyone is shooting at them. THAT would be fun--and my neighbor buys me a beer for every crow I bring to his farm so, there's that!
Old 10-03-2019, 07:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Funny that the Op has not returned.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Ronniec
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It really depends on what your rifle is chambered for...
I have a custom bench rest rifle with a Hall action ...the barrel is a custom cut rifled chrome molly Brux it has a 1-16 twist that is a ratchet type of rifling and has been hand polished and slugged...also has a custom tuner
also has a cone breach...chambered for lapua ...
my best targets are with midus plus or Xact
I think the Xact is the most consistent but it is hard to find and it is really expensive.
I shoot with a one piece rest and I like to shoot early in the AM so the wind is really still...I shoot at 50 yds and use American Rimfire Association targets so the rifle has to move after each shot as each target has 25 bulls ..
so far my best target is 2400 16x
it is a real challenge for me ....But lots of fun...I only compete with other members of my club
If I do not move the rifle and shoot for groups ( Like when I am adjusting my tuner)
and there is no wind...many shots go through the same hole with Xact
Finding the right ammo is really hard as a lot of batches of the same brand shoot a little differently...
I think Lapua and Eley have test ranges you can use if you schedule in advance
They also want you to buy a case of the ammo you like.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:46 PM
tdog032370

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Norma Tac 22 in my 455 shoots the best. A dime will usually cover 10 shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk