Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:41 PM
firedontherim
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to firedontherim
22" Sporter

Hi Folk's, I recently purchased a new (Birch) 22" Deluxe Sporter in blue. Had Brimstone do a tier 3 trigger job, added a bolt buffer. My thoughts this time around was to make a trainer type rifle. I installed one of the old style Ruger tip-off rails & put a Williams peep w/ target knobs on it. Figured that might help keep the height down + it just looks right vs. a weaver style. It shot wayy high. So I put a Tech sight AR style front sight on. Figured I'd have even more adjustment that way. Worked out fine & looks cool. Tried a bunch of different ammo & this gun is just not a shooter. Thought about CPC for the bolt (at least) I appreciate any input-Dave
Old 09-30-2019, 07:18 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How did it shoot before the mods?
I have 3 10/22s bought during the last 7 or 8 years(newest this year) and all are shooters right out of the box. Only mod are trigger and bolt release. 2 carbines and one Deluxe Sporter.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:38 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What kind of ammo ? SV works best. CCI Sv or better. Here a few suggestions. Sand out the barrel channel real good so itís totally free floated , couple of business cards good. Tape bed the receiver, aluminum rape on yeh back and on the sides so it fits tightly in the stock. Only 10 to 15 inch pounds on the action screw. See how it shoots . Pressure pads , bicycle inner tube ,under the barrel at the rear or at the front or both. After that, a new barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 07:51 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Imo, just a bolt job or replacement wont make a no-grouper into a grouper.
That is the job of the barrel and it all starts at the chamber. The oem chamber is a loose 'sporting' chamber and the barrel is.....well....lets just say 'not match quality'.
The whole CPC bolt and chamber (probably the biggest part of realizing the potential) tune-up may help a bunch, as may some experiments with barrel pressure pads and/or action screw torque.
But tell us, what are your expectations that are not being met? How tested for that?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:55 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Imo, just a bolt job or replacement wont make a no-grouper into a grouper.
That is the job of the barrel and it all starts at the chamber. The oem chamber is a loose 'sporting' chamber and the barrel is.....well....lets just say 'not match quality'.
The whole CPC bolt and chamber (probably the biggest part of realizing the potential) tune-up may help a bunch, as may some experiments with barrel pressure pads and/or action screw torque.
But tell us, what are your expectations that are not being met? How tested for that?

This!

I had one 22" sporter that wouldn't hit a barn on the side. I have another, fully CPC, that's lights OUT!

Call CPC and get his opinion on the 22"

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 09-30-2019, 11:12 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
This!

I had one 22" sporter that wouldn't hit a barn on the side. I have another, fully CPC, that's lights OUT!

Call CPC and get his opinion on the 22"
I may have "mis-remembered" this, but didn't Randy post that he thought that the 22" barrels were among the worst that Ruger ever made?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 AM
firedontherim
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to firedontherim
Thank's for all the replies Folk's. I shot it first w/just the peep-18" high. Being cheap I put a Williams fiber-optic front on that was higher than stock-it was from an old set I took off a Ruger 96 lever I used to have a while back. Still shot about 8" high. So, in the beginning I was just trying to get it in the ballpark. Got the tech sight & that's when I realized the groups were so-so. About 1 1/2" at 25 yds. w/ CCI std. (My go to) sometimes it would put 3 into a tight group & the rest here and there. Best group was with Eley Target-about an inch-ish. Then I got the trigger back & that helped a little. Barrel fit in the stock is good. I have one of the stainless WW versions of this rifle I bought back in 2002 or so & it shoots just a hair better than this one (it's scoped) The comment about Randy saying these are the worst (22") barrels in the 10/22 interested me. If anyone has a link I'd be grateful. I'm thinking going with the bolt and chamber job from CPC probably will happen-I like this gun. Thank's again for the replies-Dave
Old 10-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917M2Sfan View Post
I may have "mis-remembered" this, but didn't Randy post that he thought that the 22" barrels were among the worst that Ruger ever made?

I thought that when I read the post. I agree with you though!
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 22 Sporter they do have very bad barrels don't care what anybody says. I just got done Drilling and tapping the stock to put a screw in to put upward pressure on the barrel. I have a piece of metal doing that job now it works fine. High-velocity ammo is the only ammo it shoots well standard not good. I can put one inch ragged hole at 50 yards. Funny the only reason I bought the sporters because I didn't want to buy a bolt-action well the Ruger was on the Shelf I bought a Savage Mark II for under 200 the real shoe anyting I own well almost

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Barrel tension screw worked , it's shot standard velocity which it doesn't do well in a 1 inch group at 55 yards that's good enough for me with Emily cost a dollar 99

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 09:11 AM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I just buy 20", 22", and 24" after-market sporter barrels for 10/22s from GM.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Basrem, we need pics
Old 10-03-2019, 10:44 AM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Just go all in. Pack up the entire barrelled action, including trigger, and send it to CPC for his "full tune up". He is a true magician with these rifles and I cannot imagine you being disappointed with the results. Probably the best money spent on my Ruger Model 1237. And I am sure Randy would be willing to discuss any issues with 22" barrels with you in advance of any work being performed.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:21 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the target model I bought at bass pro about 15 years ago I think... mine shoots pretty good 5 shot under a dime at 50...
Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 AM
austin870
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have one of the Ruger Lipsey's 22" stainless barrel specials with a birch stock like yours. I sent the trigger to Brimstone and put in a buffer like you did. I bedded it and floated the barrel. I was careful to sand and make sure there was no binding or pressure from the stock.

It shot 1/2" at 50yds with Eley Sport or Wolf Match. It also shoots CCI Standard and Blazer just a bit over 1/2". That is with a Leupold 3x9 EFR scope using the stock barrel and action with no mods. I could tighten up the groups a little with a 24X scope but this is a squirrel/rabbit and plinking gun.

I even put the barrel/action in another stock and it still shot the same. Like most things, the people with the bad experiences give the most input. With barrels you pay your money and take your chances. There are disappointments no matter how much you pay or what size/shape you get.

Like "too many 22's" posted go ahead and bed it. Sand out the channel and float the barrel. Get it rock solid in the wood stock with no binding. Then put a good standard style scope and mount on it. Shoot it with a good rest and bag. Try several ammo's. Go with the basics then if it dials in you can make it a trainer and you will know any accuracy issues are not the gun.

I would rather throw a lot of work at it than money until I have to.