Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Issue with JWH competitor bolt

Saturday I had an issue with my kidd 2 stage which i talked about in another thread. I got that resolved and took the rifle out yesterday with a JWH competitor bolt and my kidd 2 stage.

I had not used this combo before and with the 2 stage extra power spring it hits the firing pin much harder then a traditional trigger set up. It actually damaged the firing pin retention pin to the point where it allowed the firing pin to extend past the bolt face and cause a nasty burr in the chamber during the dry firing I did when I was testing the trigger function.

I dont know if maybe the retention pin was exceptional soft steel or what. It is stainless but I have no idea what grade. It was torn up pretty good when I tapped it out small shavings of steel come out with it and when i measured it the diameter was smaller in the middle where the pin hits it. The burr itself was pretty severe but fortunately not too deep. It was however catching on the rounds going into the chamber and empty brass had to be pryed out with a knife.

I very carefully cleaned up the burr with a very small round diamond stone and then a bit of polish but i have not had a chance to test the rifle again. Hopefully it functions fine and I will not need to do any more with the barrel.

I emailed JWH today with what happened and am waiting on a response but I'm sure they will make it right. I just wanted to bring to anyones attention running this combo to keep an eye out on this and make sure the firing pin protrusion is ok if you do alot of dry firing. With the smaller pin profile it doesn't take too many hits on the breech face to cause the damage. Ive attached images off the burr and the damaged pin for you all to see.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Andrew22; 09-30-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:03 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was that the new version of the bolt, or the old version? Old version had rod and spring inside the bolt like a VQ.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the first generation with the rod going through it. I like it alot honestly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Garugerfan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of the earlier versions too. Been very happy with it so far but Iím not using a Kidd trigger group (using a BX). Only problem I have encountered is with the charging handle falling out once. Tightened up the Allen screw that tensions the ball detent and problem solved.
I hope JWH will make it right for you, they have a good rep for customer service.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had that issue with the handle fall in out, once i tightened up no more problems! I love the style I wish I could still get them. I may buy another with the standard handle set up if they go on sale again.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:23 AM
Sure_Shot

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Volquartsen currently has blemished bolts for $175.00. I have had zero issues with VQ bolt assemblies. Or buy a Kidd... I would bet JWH takes care of you though.

Sure Shot
Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw the VQ bolts go on sale as well. Pretty tempting but hard to justify almost twice the cost of a kidd bolt. I like the design of the VQ alot though. Who knows maybe I will end up getting one.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Sc0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just pulled my firing pin out of my Competitor bolt, it's A REALLY soft pin!!! Already has burrs on it and that's just maybe 20 dry fires... Does a factory Ruger pin fit?

Also just by taking preliminary measurements, the JWH and VQ firing pins are dimensionally close enough to interchange. Might need some tweaking for the retaining pin hole and over extension needs to be checked but, I wouldn't sweat over using one.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I have done is order a heavy duty roll pin (this seems to be what is used in all other bolts) they also handle impact better then solid pins. Based off of my measurements and m3 x 17mm pin should fit however all i could find were 18mm so i will be shortening one to install tomorrow.