Kidd 2 stage issues - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:21 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

It's awful when the chamber mouth gets damaged like that. What is the JWH firing pin stop pin made of?

In the OEM bolt, the stop pin is a roll pin, very tough. I once had a Mark III pistol on which the solid steel stop pin broke into three parts, which caused the ruin of the barrel. Ruger replaced that pistol, explaining that improper hardening had made the stop pin brittle.

I have now made it a policy never to dry-fire a rimfire arm without a snap cap or other protection in place.

A good substitute for a snap cap is to cut a piece of refrigerator magnet - those free ones that advertise the local pizza place or pest removal service - into a half-circle the size of the breechface. Mount it so that it doesn't interfere with the extractor slot. It plays the role of the case rim, and is very durable to last for many shots. It will stay in place while you dry practice, and is easy to remove. If it gets pounded thin, just cut another one.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:31 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
All of my fourteen older Ruger bolts have solid bolt stop pins, as does my four year old 22-45. The bolts are all at least ten or more years old.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is pretty cool i did not know they started out working on factory bolts!

As far as the pin the 3 factory bolts i have seen have all had roll pins rather then solid pins. Are they in fact stronger? I could easily get one the right size for the competitor.

The fridge magnet is a good idea since you can avoid having to load one each time. I may need to try that out i have a ton of those magnets for my work. Im currently use drywall anchors that are the size of a .22 round and super cheap as snap caps in all my other guns and they work well but it does get annoying loading them again and again.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk