Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:07 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
A Few Questions: Savage Anschütz 54

Hi Folks!

After many moons of searching, I picked up a Savage-Anschütz 54 Sporter at an auction a few days ago:

First question … Is there an Anschütz model equivalent to this gun? Or were the Savage-Anschütz guns essentially different?

For example, that leads to a question about the fire control group … Is this trigger group the same as one you'd find on an Anschütz 54 sporter?

And all of that leads to the final, general question … I've generally found the Savage-Anschütz guns to be more attractive than the Anschütz guns. That's particularly true of the S-A guns with 64 actions and Weatherby style stocks.

So how did the Savage-Anschütz relationship work? For example, were barreled actions shipped to Savage who stocked them? Did Savage specify different stocks? Or is it all in my imagination?

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by dbuffington; 10-02-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:14 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Oh, I should note ...

As you can tell by the number of cases that landed on or near the rest, the Savage-Anschütz definitely has one thing in common with your typical Anschütz: weak ejection

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 09-28-2019, 01:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Dave,
A Savage Anschutz is any Anschutz that was distributed for a few years by Savage, and sold in the U.S.
An Anschutz Savage is a Savage distributed (sold) by Anschutz in Europe. Manufactured by Savage.
This was a working agreement they had for a few years in the 60's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 01:50 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Your imagination is working overtime. The gun is all Anschutz, only marketed by Savage.
It later evolved into the Anschutz 1422 and the 1710 DKL.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:16 PM
nedlate
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I don't have anything to contribute except that is one nice looking gun!
Ed
Old 09-28-2019, 05:35 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dave, that is a very nice looking example....

As stated already, Anschutz all the way.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:54 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
The S/A 54 Sporter has an Anschutz-designated model number that is not stamped on the barrel. Andyd would be able to tell you more about that matter. Since the barrels on the S/A guns are marked "54 Sporter", a reference to a 54 Sporter should only be for a S/A gun, as oppososed to a later model-marked sporter with the 54 action, such as the 1422, 1700, 1710 or 1712.

The S/A guns came in several configurations over the years. The most common appear to be the long barrel guns; approximately 24". Most of them have a basic front ramp sight, no barrel boss at the rear sight and a couple different trigger guards.

The other basic version is what I call the short barrel guns; approximately 22". Many of those guns had a funky front sight that is a band at the muzzle that many call a ring sight. The guns typically have a barrel boss around the rear sight and they came in a couple of different trigger guards over the years.

My favorites and ones that seem to bring a little premium are the short barrel guns. They are a little handier in the woods. Many people like the thinner barrels of the S/A guns in general. The triggers on the S/A guns are not as easily adjusted as the current model-marked 54's.

Yours appears to be the long barrel with a front ring sight.

Last edited by VertFish; 09-29-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I agree with Vertfish on the model numbers. Anschütz had designated the model numbers for their 54 sporters from the get-go and sold them under those model numbers in Germany. Earlier 1422 models than Dave's are sometimes marked 1420, 1422, or 1423 on the barrel.

In the following photo, the upper rifle is marked 1420, the lower rifle 1422. To make it more consfusing, my 1423 with the serial number falling in between the others, is not marked 1423, while the others are.

Back to Dave's question; I believe, that only the 64 sporters for the export market had SILE stocks not manufactured by Anschutz , while the 1422s were all stocked in Ulm with Anschutz-made stocks. Sporters were not available off the rack as a barreled action in those days.

The trigger is the standard second model trigger and a vast improvement over the first version, that was borrowed from the Mauser design. The only other option at that time was the DST. This later trigger version came with a separate trigger guard and floor plate. Your gun has the more desirable steel trigger guard that was changed to a composite trigger guard at some time. While the roll-over MC stock is pretty much standard for the American market, there were also stocks with German and Bavarian cheek pieces available.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:55 AM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like those early 14xx series rifles, they're so slim & trim, more like the early Brnos and KKJ's, some of my favorite 22's. Thanks for posting them Andyd.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:00 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Hi Folks!

Thanks to all for all the kind words and good info! It’s fun to learn more about our toys …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Your imagination is working overtime. The gun is all Anschutz, only marketed by Savage.
It later evolved into the Anschutz 1422 and the 1710 DKL.
Yes, my imagination does tend to work overtime =), and yes, that makes sense. The gun looks like 54 action Anschütz, as opposed to some of the S-A 64s, which look like Weatherbys. But let’s check a data point:

Does the Anschütz equivalent (1422 et al) have the decorated grip cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
The S/A 54 Sporter has an Anschutz-designated model number that is not stamped on the barrel.
This example does not have a model number stamped on the barrel. It is stamped “Savage * Anschütz Model 54 Sporter” on the top of the barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
The S/A guns came in several configurations over the years. The most common appear to be the long barrel guns; approximately 24". Most of them have a basic front ramp sight, no barrel boss at the rear sight and a couple different trigger guards …. Yours appears to be the long barrel with a front ring sight.
This example has a plastic trigger guard, 24-inch barrel, front ring sight and no barrel boss at the rear sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
Back to Dave's question; I believe, that only the 64 sporters for the export market had SILE stocks not manufactured by Anschutz ….
SILE is (was?) an Italian firm, and that makes perfect sense with the Italianate/Weatherby-esque stocks I’ve seen on S-A 64s.

That also also (kinda) corresponds with information in the Blue Book of Gun Values on the Savage-Anschütz guns:
Some of these models did not have any modifications but others were restocked, supplied with different sights, and had other different features from their original counterparts. In most cases, the original model numbers were used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
The trigger is the standard second model trigger and a vast improvement over the first version, that was borrowed from the Mauser design.
Does this trigger have an Anschütz model designation. I’d like to get adjustment instructions.

And finally, here are the proof marks:

This indicates a 1973 proof. Correct?

Again, thanks to all for all your help!
Dave
Old 09-29-2019, 10:42 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post

Dave
Yes, that barrel was proved in 1973 in Ulm.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post

Does the Anschütz equivalent (1422 et al) have the decorated grip cap?

SILE is (was?) an Italian firm, and that makes perfect sense with the Italianate/Weatherby-esque stocks I’ve seen on S-A 64s.

That also also (kinda) corresponds with information in the Blue Book of Gun Values on the Savage-Anschütz guns:
Some of these models did not have any modifications but others were restocked, supplied with different sights, and had other different features from their original counterparts. In most cases, the original model numbers were used.

Does this trigger have an Anschütz model designation. I’d like to get adjustment instructions.

Again, thanks to all for all your help!
Dave
Anschutz introduced that grip cap later, earlier 1422s had a plastic grip cap.

I found a factory original Anschütz 1415/1416 in Germany, as they were named there from the beginning, with a SILE stock that was marked SILE inside, while all others that I have inspected were not so marked.

1973 is when the gun was proofed in Ulm. I just had a closer look at the trigger guard, it has the front screw through the tg, indicating indeed a plastic tg. Be careful not to break that.

Last edited by Andyd; 09-29-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
While early 54 sporters may be known as the 1422, most of us associate that number with the gun that came later on, prior to the 1700 series.
Yes, those later guns have the grip inlay, as do many of the 1700 series MC stocks.
Currently, only the Luxus grade guns have it.

Nice gun.If you ever have a chance to get a metal trigger guard,(doubtful) do it. The gun deserves it.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:36 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
If you ever have a chance to get a metal trigger guard,(doubtful) do it. The gun deserves it.
Anyone got one?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Nice find Dave.