Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:31 AM
4m4s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those that shoot a model 63

Do you clean the bolt often? having to remove the forearm tenon every time seems like a bit of a pain but I imagine it's necessary sometimes. If not how else would you clean it? Any input appreciated. Thanks, Dennis
Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 AM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have had mine for 4 years and i have maybe removed my bolt 3 times to give the gun a thorough clean up. yeah not a big fan of keep removing the tenon. I don't think Winchester recommends complete break down of the action, but i do it because i shoot mine a lot and i think sometimes it's just good to get in there and give it a good cleaning. Just be careful that you put the tenon back in facing the same way you took it out, because the forearm cap screws won't line back up if you turn it around.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:29 PM
jerryray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I acquired a shooter a year ago and put probably 500 rounds through it. So far I just hosed down the action area with a spray solvent and run a boresnake through the barrel. No malfunctions so far. I think maybe I will plan to do mine once a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 PM
TheMoff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The trouble is, it’s such a great rifle to shoot I put a couple thousand rounds through it a year. The gunk builds up but doesn’t seem to affect it much. Anyway, since I once had to fettle a new firing pin for it, I’ve become quite adept at disassembly and reassembly, so I think nothing of stripping it now to give it a decent scrub once a year.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:54 AM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Had mine out yesterday. Shot 200 rounds. had two failure to ejects. 1st one after the 1st shot. But i was shooting cci standard vel. i will probably just clean the action but not break the gun down completely. usually standard vel. never jams so i'm maybe getting close to a complete tear down.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:27 AM
4m4s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine will not feed standard velocity at all. mini-mags run 100% though. It looks like breaking it down once a year is the consensus and I think I'll just clean all of my 22's once a year. I appreciate the input guys. Thanks, Dennis
Old 10-03-2019, 10:03 AM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dennis, these fine rifles were designed to be fired with high velocity ammo. There are many that will function fine with standard velocity and may even have come from the factory with that ability. But there are also a bunch that will only ever function 100% with high velocity ammo. Finally, there are quite a few that after they are "broken in" will function near 100% with standard velocity.
So, you might try HV, such as minimags for a good while, then see if it functions all right with SV.
My Model 63 shoots CCI SV very accurately, but only functions about 80% with it.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:44 AM
4m4s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It does say super speed and super x right on the barrel so I figured it was designed for high velocity. Just thought I would try the sv since I've pretty much standardized sv in all my .22's. the 63 and my marlin 75 are the only ones I have that require hv. Not a big deal.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:31 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4m4s View Post
It does say super speed and super x right on the barrel so I figured it was designed for high velocity. Just thought I would try the sv since I've pretty much standardized sv in all my .22's. the 63 and my marlin 75 are the only ones I have that require hv. Not a big deal.
I guess i'm lucky cause mine does feed SV almost without any problems. Like i said only had 2 failures the other day when i had it out. I actually was hitting the Gong out to 250 yds with SV ammo. Had to remove my hearing protection and wait for the sound. I do have a Nikon pro staff scope on mine so that helps.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Jakebilt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had mine apart several times but I think lots of spray solvent and compressed air ia adequate for many thousand rounds. I haven't cleaned now for 800 rds. with no malfunctions using nothing but cci sv. If your rifle won't run with them put just a hint of lube on them. I dump 4 boxes at a time into a container and then with a little johnsons paste wax on my hands just mix them around. It dries non slippery but the heat from firing makes them slick. Without lube I will have a malf every 100-200 rds. Love them 63's. Cheers, Jake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190806_091207_1573139603094.jpg (370.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:19 AM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakebilt View Post
I have had mine apart several times but I think lots of spray solvent and compressed air ia adequate for many thousand rounds. I haven't cleaned now for 800 rds. with no malfunctions using nothing but cci sv. If your rifle won't run with them put just a hint of lube on them. I dump 4 boxes at a time into a container and then with a little johnsons paste wax on my hands just mix them around. It dries non slippery but the heat from firing makes them slick. Without lube I will have a malf every 100-200 rds. Love them 63's. Cheers, Jake
Jake that's a unusual butt pad on your 63.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Jakebilt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot in the off hand rifle match in this forum. Sticks to my shoulder a lot better than the steel one. I really need to finish it a little better but this is my shooter. I have another for a safe queen. This one had all the mods when i got it except for the pad and it is just the way I like it.
Cheers, Jake
Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 AM
muzza

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I find aerosol electrical contact cleaner and compressed air does a good job of cleaning many actions and parts.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:08 AM
Big Cholla
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have shot the same M 63 for 76 years without ever taking the tendon off the action. I first shot this rifle at the age of 4 with the help of my father. I shot it extensively during high school and college. I used solvent and a narrowed toothbrush for cleaning the action. Later I added the use of compressed air. Today, I would use a solvent that works on lead deposits, compressed air, Q tips and the narrowed toothbrush. This rifle has over an estimated 50k rounds thru it. It does now work well with standard velocity loads. It is still very accurate for a rifle with only iron sights.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:12 AM
4m4s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm pretty anal about cleaning but I think I'll go with cleaning once a year with the .22's. I'll tackle it in June when I put the rifles away for the summer. I appreciate the help. Thanks, Dennis