Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:22 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

OK, I'm 70, will have just finished two months of proton radiation for prostate cancer. The shot and pills I took to kill my testosterone have sapped some of my energy. So my hiking schedule will have to be adjusted accordingly. I spend four hours walking around Houston yesterday in 94f temps and I was really worn out by the end. Dehydrated even though I took sugar free Gatoraid in my backpack to drink on a regular basis.

And if I see some cold weather and snow.....that will be GREAT. It has been such a long hot summer down south I've forgotten what cool weather is. No break in sight here either. I will adapt to the weather. If roads get closed, I'll do something else. Probably about five days there starting the 17th of November. I am only landing in Reno because of the airport there. The time share is on the south side of Tahoe and the drive isn't too bad from there to Yosemite from what I read.. I don't know what is around Lake Tahoe, but I know what is in the National Park and that is where I plan on getting up early each day and heading. Will rent 4wd if necessary. I've been reading about the Park and what to see. Seems pretty easy if the weather cooperates. I've been in N California and Seattle same time of the year and the weather never slowed me down. Never been to Tahoe or the Park, so I'm sure they are at a higher elevation and of course close to the mountains. I can take it, if they will let me in. I'm certain I will be good for 4 or 5 mile hikes. Those long ones with an altitude gain of 4,000'.....probably have to skip them. Last spring...no problem...that was before the shot.

I'm trying to get recommendations, do you have to purchase tickets before hand? etc. I know some of the hikes require permits to complete....probably skip that hike up the rails. Might be able to do it, might not. I will return to the time share every evening. Get up the next morning and head back. I'm thinking four days of Yosimiti.

I have no idea what is worth seeing around Lake Tahoe. I've seen enough cities and don't care anything for shopping. I won't be skiing. I can break a leg some other way.

So, I won't be driving to the Park from Reno just to south L Tahoe to the time share. I will drive from there to the Park and back. It doesn't look far...hour, hour and a half. One of the reasons I like hitting attractions like this is I don't want to be there when it is 90f and I hate crowds. I wouldn't care if I didn't see another person. I want to see the scenic views, take photos, hike a bit if necessary....love that. I'd like to see El Capitan up close and and actually free style it....6' up will be enough. But, I don't know if they allow you to walk up to it, climb on any of it. When I read about the Park, weather permitting, it seems like a lot of it is handicapped accessible to overlooks, etc. so I should have no problem. Snow on the ground...don't care...as long as they will let me in. Might be a blizzard, might be 80f. Who knows.

You guys are getting me some of the information I'm looking for. But that is where I will be staying so I will be driving from S Lake Tahoe and I'm hoping to lay out a plan of attack on the site. I want to see and experience all of it that I can. Probably won't make it back again this lifetime. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 09-30-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
SmartWool sox and long underwear (mid 250 weight) - ya need help with choosing the right ones Message me.. I am a dealer.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/2...c-c7b704fac98f

And.. pack heat.. your CC weapon at minimum.... https://www.rgj.com/story/life/outdo...hoe/830691002/
----------
And do it MUCH BETTER than these Peeps:

How many people have died climbing El Capitan?
Five people have died in climbing accidents on El Capitan since 2013. In all, Farabee said, 31 of the 120 climbers who have died in the park since 1905 have died on the famous granite monolith.Jun 10, 2018
If you hook me up on this, can I purchase from you? I'm familiar with SmartWool, give socks for Christmas every year. Good stuff. I'm flying...so I'd have to figure out how to get firearms there. California and all. I know it is legal to carry in National Parks now. But how to get my firearms there and carry them. I have a couple with me here and carry them concealed...but I drove over and TX has reciprocity with AL. I'd have to check CA. The most powerful I have are .45 and 9mm. 16 rounds of 9mm in a P99c. My daily carry is a 9mm Shield with extended mags....9 rounds. Plenty of mags for both.

I'll PM you for recommendations on winter wear. I'f I can order some from you.....great. 1917
Old 09-30-2019, 11:42 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Yupp.. PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 11:44 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toml View Post
Rocktober is the preferred month for tackling El Capitan.

The hike on the back side of Half Dome is strenuous but made easier using steel cables as handrails and widely-spaced wooden treads. These are dropped at the end of summer (not sure of the date). Itís a long day trip, better if you overnight. We were guided by Yosemite Conservancy. Highly recommended.
I've read about some of those 7 or more hour hikes. They may be beyond my ability at this time. I'd estimate 6 to 8 miles would be my limit if there is an elevation gain. I climb in the hills in Birmingham and sometimes go 10 or 12 miles....but that was before all this cancer treatment. I feel fine but can tell I do not have the endurance I had 6 or 8 months ago. Of course 4 hours hiking around here yesterday in 94f temps and high humidity is probably tough on anyone.. Can't make it there in October....and I'm not climbing rocks with ropes, etc. Been there, done that. Too old now. Seems like the half dome is a long hike with quite a bit of elevation change. I will start out on the flats and see how I do. Hike through all the Sequoias, etc.

Where do you sleep if staying overnight on that hike? Yosemite Conservancy, will check in with them to find their recommendations. Thanks. 1917
Old 09-30-2019, 11:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Flying with Firearms : https://www.bsr-inc.com/traveling-wi...arry-firearms/
Old 09-30-2019, 11:51 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
You're going to the high Sierras in December?!?
If you're used to snow, and lots of it, fine. If not, you'd better rethink this. Tioga pass is often closed by early December - although you might get lucky. Even if there's no snow yet, it will be bitter cold, probably with a nice wind to help it along, esp. in the high country. I'm not sure the park issues wilderness permits under those circumstances - better check that out before you go.

If you do go, check out the ghost town of Bodie on the eastern side of the Sierras - which may very well be snowed in too by that time, in any event it will be COLD.
I'll only go where it is safe and open. I've been in the Rockies of Colorado, I've been in plenty of snow....but, a man needs to know his limits. I am thinking my time there for full days will be November 18, 19, 20 and perhaps 21st. That should cover it. I know I won't be able to see everything. Six months in the vicinity would suit me better but such is life. I'll look up these places...heard of Tioga pass but don't know anything about it. Thanks for the ideas. 1917
Old 09-30-2019, 12:02 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Sequoia National Park & Kings canyon, see the largest tree in the world. Perhaps a loop into Death Valley and sin city. For me it was an expectation game. I expected more of Yosemity and was delighted to be surprised with the other locations.

The roads are closed because the typical coastal wall flowers cannot handle the snow. You need to pack chains and rent a 4wd. Snow shoes. I snuck past one road block and was fined for my trouble. Came around another way. The snow is impressive, like driving in a tunnel! Not so much in Yosemite as the other two places. Real high country. It is all good and on such a grand scale. What we call mountains back east are mere foot hills.
Ha,ha...sounds like something I would do. Back side of the sign didn't say anything. Snow shoes...now that would be something new for me. 4wd and chains, familiar with them but I'm not looking to spend all day plowing through snow. Been in the snow in Vermont and New Hampshire in January....Snow, not too much of a problem if it isn't too deep. Ice, that's another story. The biggest problem is other drivers that don't really know how to drive on wet pavement, much less snow. I'm not planning on driving or hiking into trouble. Probably will be able to rent some type of 4wd. I'd take a Subaru Forester. I suppose they have them and I love Subarus.

Death Valley, what is there to see there? Sin city, no thanks....avoiding Cities as much as possible. One exception, have a good friend in Napa Valley, Lewis Perdue, have invite for Thanksgiving if I make it there in time...If not we will hit a restaurant overlooking the valley. Kings Canyon...is that near or part of the Park....sounds like a place I definitely want to see. 1917
Old 09-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tioga Pass is already closed and Sonora pass will be if it's not already, so take 80 or 50 to 49 and join 140 or 120(if it is open to the Valley) There's lots to see on 49and some very good wineries ( if that floats your boat) That would be more scenic (and slower) than taking 99 to Merced to join 140

The weather in the Sierra is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom!
Make sure your rental comes with cables or chains! The rangers often ask to see them when entering the park during Winter(the South gate to Yosemite, 41, is about 50 miles from my front door.)

My son and his climbing pal plan to trad climb El Capitan in mid October.

(El Cap is that big rock on the left)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:44 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One more thought---I avoid camping in Yosemite Valley in the Winter---it gets nasty cold in a dome tent due to the lower elevation humidity(don't ask how I know this) so I'll suggest either the Lodge or Camp Curry unless you want the luxury and expense of the Ahwanee. Curry is closer to the Happy Isles trail head anyway, but the Lodge has a Starbucks.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About Lake Tahoe---N Shore or S Shore or driving around the Lake?
It shouldn't be crowded in November before the start of the holiday season.
Both Heavenly Valley (S Shore) and Squaw Valley (N Shore) have cable car rides to the top and I'd recommend one or the other. Heavenly also has a beast of a zip line at the top that sounds like it might be worthy your attention Reservations are recommended.
Meanwhile, back at the lake---
Lake Mackinaws are usually biting then, trolling from a charter boat should be productive.
There is a stern wheeler that provides a pretty scenic tour of the lake.

Leaving Tahoe from the South shore, you could take 88 through Jackson to 49 (or 99) Generally less traffic than 50 and it takes you by Kirkwood, another great ski area.

Leaving Tahoe on 80(N Shore) there is the little town of Truckee and the Ski Museum at Boreal

You want restaurant recommendations? Where are you flying out of?

Last edited by Hovannes; 09-30-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kings Canyon and Sequoia are like Yosemite but less developed. The road to the bottom of Kings Canyon closes in the Winter and is treacherous in bad weather, but the Grants Grove is something to see snowy or not. It's an easy hike and if the snow is deep snowshoes are available for rent---ask at the ranger station. For the General Sherman Tree, if you have a disability placard you can park at the bottom(Sherman grows at the bottom of a hillside) otherwise you park at the top lot and walk down a staircase as long as Sherman is high in order to reach the bottom(and then, back up to get to your car)
Old 09-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One thing not to miss in Yosemite is Mariposa Grove. If you leave the park via 41, it's on your way out.
The road to Glacier Point may or may not be open in November. If it is you can tie it in with a trip to Mariposa Grove. If not, you could x-c ski there from Badger Pass. Badger will rent you everything you'll need but warm clothes. It's an overnight trip and accommodations are available in the converted snack stand/gift shop if you don't want to snow camp.
The only other way is to hike up from the valley but those trails can close if it gets dangerous (icy)

Last edited by Hovannes; 09-30-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:47 PM
dedsqrl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think a plan 'B' may be in order. South Tahoe to Yosemite Valley either East or West access is 4.5 hr drive. Tioga Pass (East access)is closed in winter, gated with no access. West access is most likely only option. Maybe an overnighter, with motel in Sonora if u don't want to pay for a room in the Valley. (check prices) Alternative hiking from Emerald Bay 20 min from South Shore (or 10, depending on where u are in S.S) 5 mi hike with 1k ish ft elevation gain up Cascade Creek from Cascade Falls trailhead to Snow Lake or Azure Lake.(7500') Or over Kingsbury Grade to 395 in Minden, NV (1/2 hr), then 2 hrs South on 395 to June Lake. (1/2 hr S of Hiway 120 entrance to Yosemite) Another 1/2 hr S to Mammoth Mt/Lakes. Great views of eastern slope (wall) of Sierras on June Lake Loop. Hiway 395 all the way to Lone Pine (Mt Whitney, highest peak in lower 48, 14K' plus) is over 4,000' elevation. Follows base of Sierra south, high desert at its finest. Virginia City, site of 1860's Comstock Lode silver strike, 1 hr E of S.S. Interesting, but VERY touristy. Can hike Emigrant Road From Caples Lake to West Pass (off State Route 88,1 hr SE of S.S) follow the trail they took with wagons during the CA Gold Rush, 40 to 60,00 each year between 1850-52. Lotsa stuff to see/do around Tahoe, and not crowded that time of year (unless Heavenly is open, then its a mess!)
Old 09-30-2019, 01:54 PM
dedsqrl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
If you hook me up on this, can I purchase from you? I'm familiar with SmartWool, give socks for Christmas every year. Good stuff. I'm flying...so I'd have to figure out how to get firearms there. California and all. I know it is legal to carry in National Parks now. But how to get my firearms there and carry them. I have a couple with me here and carry them concealed...but I drove over and TX has reciprocity with AL. I'd have to check CA. The most powerful I have are .45 and 9mm. 16 rounds of 9mm in a P99c. My daily carry is a 9mm Shield with extended mags....9 rounds. Plenty of mags for both.

I'll PM you for recommendations on winter wear. I'f I can order some from you.....great. 1917
CA has no CCW reciprocity with ANY state in the Union. I gave up my permit when i moved to Nevada, and every time I go over there i feel naked!
Old 09-30-2019, 03:27 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I thought free climbing is this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96FUPTQeqYI

No way I am doing that.