Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:58 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will be buying a 69A tomorrow,

It is minty and a little bit unusual I think. The front sight is rather tall, has a brass blade iirc, no provision on the barrel for a rear sight. The stock is notched on the left for a peep sight but none is there, though the receiver is drilled and tapped for one. There is a scope mounted on it using four holes in the left side of the receiver, which is not grooved for scope mounting. The scope is Sears marked and is a 3/4" steel item. Looks like it might be a Weaver. The bolt handle is not swept back, the stock is not grooved. Condition is minty overall. The original magazine is perfect, no corrosion on the baseplate at all. I almost bought it today but bought four other rifles, a minty Savage 1899 takedown made in 1923, a Stevens Visible Loader, a Marlin Model 20 in very good condition, and a Winchester Model 60 with a Lyman 55R peep sight in addition to the leaf sight.

The Marlin is a jewel, so compact compared to a Winchester 1890. It is in quite good condition other than wrench marks on the barrel flats by the receiver, very unfortunate.

An expensive day but some nice finds. Got some vintage ammo too, a box of Winchester .22 Auto in the two piece box, the cases are copper colored, whether plated or solid I don't know. The shop just took in part of a large collection, there were twelve Savage 1899s and 99s, a Winchester 1873, an 1894, several other highly collectable pieces.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:02 PM
57springer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like a good day !!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:06 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
Sounds like a good day !!
It was AWESOME! My CC is still bleeding though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 03:37 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
It is minty and a little bit unusual I think. The front sight is rather tall, has a brass blade iirc, no provision on the barrel for a rear sight. The stock is notched on the left for a peep sight but none is there, though the receiver is drilled and tapped for one. There is a scope mounted on it using four holes in the left side of the receiver, which is not grooved for scope mounting. The scope is Sears marked and is a 3/4" steel item. Looks like it might be a Weaver. The bolt handle is not swept back, the stock is not grooved. Condition is minty overall. The original magazine is perfect, no corrosion on the baseplate at all. I almost bought it today but bought four other rifles, a minty Savage 1899 takedown made in 1923, a Stevens Visible Loader, a Marlin Model 20 in very good condition, and a Winchester Model 60 with a Lyman 55R peep sight in addition to the leaf sight.

The Marlin is a jewel, so compact compared to a Winchester 1890. It is in quite good condition other than wrench marks on the barrel flats by the receiver, very unfortunate.

An expensive day but some nice finds. Got some vintage ammo too, a box of Winchester .22 Auto in the two piece box, the cases are copper colored, whether plated or solid I don't know. The shop just took in part of a large collection, there were twelve Savage 1899s and 99s, a Winchester 1873, an 1894, several other highly collectable pieces.
Do you have a M1903 to go with the ammo? I have a very nice M1903 and an old picture box of minty Winchester ammo for it cost me $150. Big Larry
Old 09-27-2019, 07:29 AM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
Do you have a M1903 to go with the ammo? I have a very nice M1903 and an old picture box of minty Winchester ammo for it cost me $150. Big Larry
Yes, I have a 1903, not very original, it is complete but an owner did a checkering job on it, not a very good job of it.

I got the Model 69A and it is quite different from my early Model 69 non-A. The barrel is heavier. At the muzzle it is 0.6365" as opposed to 0.572 for the 69. The stock is much beefier, 1.64" just ahead of the trigger guard as opposed to 1.37 for the 69. The receiver is 1.0155" in diameter on the 69A as opposed to 0.9565 for the A. There is a safety on the A, none on the earlier rifle. There are 1 1/4" sling mounts on the A. The bolt on the A appears to be a non-rebounding item with no knob. The barrel on the A is clearly marked Model 69A, it is in prison original condition. The trigger is not grooved, nor is the receiver grooved for scope mounting. As noted in my first post the barrel gas no dovetail for a leaf sight, nor is the receiver drilled for a top mounted sight, there are just the two drilled and tapped holes at the left rear for mounting a peep sight, I don't think I see any evidence that there was ever one mounted. The left side of the receiver is drilled with four holes for the scope mount, which has only "N 3" stamped on it for identification. As noted there is a steel bodied Sears 4X scope mounted, no further ID on that other than Pat'd USA. I have some old Weaver Texas 3/4" scopes, one may find a home on this rifle.

I will be off to the gun shop this morning to buy another Winchester, a pristine Model 1910 in .401 caliber, it is too nice to pass up. The collection the shop got in is very good. Even if I am headed to the poorhouse...
Old 09-27-2019, 08:26 AM
3Dub
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
I got the Model 69A and it is quite different from my early Model 69 non-A. The barrel is heavier. At the muzzle it is 0.6365" as opposed to 0.572 for the 69. The stock is much beefier, 1.64" just ahead of the trigger guard as opposed to 1.37 for the 69. The receiver is 1.0155" in diameter on the 69A as opposed to 0.9565 for the A. There is a safety on the A, none on the earlier rifle. There are 1 1/4" sling mounts on the A. The bolt on the A appears to be a non-rebounding item with no knob. The barrel on the A is clearly marked Model 69A, it is in prison original condition. The trigger is not grooved, nor is the receiver grooved for scope mounting. As noted in my first post the barrel gas no dovetail for a leaf sight, nor is the receiver drilled for a top mounted sight, there are just the two drilled and tapped holes at the left rear for mounting a peep sight, I don't think I see any evidence that there was ever one mounted. ....
This thread is a good writeup on the different flavors of the 69A:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=364897

What does the rollmark for the chambering say:
22 L RIFLE
22 SHORT, LONG AND LONG RIFLE (spread over 2 lines)
22 S, L or LR (all on one line)
Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
This thread is a good writeup on the different flavors of the 69A:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=364897

What does the rollmark for the chambering say:
22 L RIFLE
22 SHORT, LONG AND LONG RIFLE (spread over 2 lines)
22 S, L or LR (all on one line)
Thanks, I'll check that out.

22 L RIFLE.

The underside of the barrel, just in front of the receiver, is stamped 22 L.R. With the barreled action out of the stock it does appear that it once had the 57EW or 80A peep on it, now I know which expensive sight to get. It appears that it has 6 lands and grooves. Drop at heel is 1 3/4". Distance between sling swivels is 24 3/4". It has a blade front sight, can I assume it is a 93A? The distance from the front of the stock to the swivel is about 1 3/4", the stock is more tapered than on of the pics I saw. So I'll err on the side of caution and say it is a 69A Target, not knowing the difference between the stock notch for a 57EW or the 80 A peep sight. It is unfortunate that the receiver has the four holes for the scope mount rings.

I got the Model 1910, a nice rifle in .401 caliber. A H&R nine shot .22 revolver, a Model 999 Sportsman top break double/single action, awaits the first of the month and my welfare check, aka Federal Retirement check.

Upon further review... I would say that the stock is relieved for the Lyman 57EW sight. The holes in the receiver are approximately 1/2" apart, does this seem right? So, if it does take the 57EW then it is a match 69A?

I paid $300, which at first sounds OK but then the 57EW sight is missing and the receiver was drill for the scope. so, at best an average to less than good deal.

Last edited by NHcollector; 09-27-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:23 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out.

22 L RIFLE.

The underside of the barrel, just in front of the receiver, is stamped 22 L.R. With the barreled action out of the stock it does appear that it once had the 57EW or 80A peep on it, now I know which expensive sight to get. It appears that it has 6 lands and grooves. Drop at heel is 1 3/4". Distance between sling swivels is 24 3/4". It has a blade front sight, can I assume it is a 93A? The distance from the front of the stock to the swivel is about 1 3/4", the stock is more tapered than on of the pics I saw. So I'll err on the side of caution and say it is a 69A Target, not knowing the difference between the stock notch for a 57EW or the 80 A peep sight. It is unfortunate that the receiver has the four holes for the scope mount rings.

I got the Model 1910, a nice rifle in .401 caliber. A H&R nine shot .22 revolver, a Model 999 Sportsman top break double/single action, awaits the first of the month and my welfare check, aka Federal Retirement check.

Upon further review... I would say that the stock is relieved for the Lyman 57EW sight. The holes in the receiver are approximately 1/2" apart, does this seem right? So, if it does take the 57EW then it is a match 69A?

I paid $300, which at first sounds OK but then the 57EW sight is missing and the receiver was drill for the scope. so, at best an average to less than good deal.
It's a Match allright. It is too bad someone D&T'd it. They did D&T the prewar Match rifles, but yours is a post war. A nice, unaltered Match rifle may go for $600 to over $800. Especially with its original sling. I see no need to put out over $100 for a correct rear sight as the value of the rifle has diminished somewhat with the extra holes. Scope it and enjoy it. You did well at $300. Big Larry
Old 09-27-2019, 05:12 PM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Larry. Yeah, it's nice as is with the scope it has, but I do like them with the peep sights, I may spring for one. A good shooter grade of an interesting variant of the type.

It was a good, though expensive week at the shop. The 69A, a Marlin No. 20, a Stevens visible Loader, a very high condition Savage 1899, a very minty Winchester Model 1910, a well used but very serviceable Winchester Model 60, and a H&R Model 999 Sportsman revolver after the first of the month. Now I'll eat my porridge and like it!

Last edited by NHcollector2; 10-04-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:20 PM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Now, THAT is a good gun shop week! :-)
Old 09-27-2019, 05:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You will enjoy the 401, they are literally a "blast" to shoot.(although somewhat expensive) Good scores, Enjoy your new toys.....

Erin
Old 09-28-2019, 02:11 AM
noelekal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm afflicted with a love both for the Winchester Model 69s and the Winchester self-loaders so am enthused over your acquisitions. Would love to see that Winchester Model 1910 and read of a shooting report.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Sav99age

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd like to know more about the 1899 Savage.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:36 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a 57EW on one of my 69A's and I really enjoy using it. It is very precise and up to 100 yards I'm almost as accurate with it as my scoped 69A's. Sounds like a nice set up ... price is about right for what you ended up with...

Bob
Old 10-04-2019, 04:04 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav99age View Post
I'd like to know more about the 1899 Savage.
PM me and I'll send some pics. It has a Stith no-drill scope mount and a Bauch and Lomb 2.5-4 scope mounted. I'd like to find the original rear sight to bring it to original specification. A serial number search dates it to 1923, it looks virtually as good as when it was made. When I went back to the shop for the H&R Sportsman (which dates to around 1937) all the rest of the Savage rifles were gone, one guy bought all ten of them and a few other rifles, and quite a few boxes of vintage ammo. I do feel that I got the cream of the Savage rifles though, that 1899 is virtually perfect and has very nice wood. One of the 99s had an octagonal barrel but was "restored", too heavy a hand with the buffer wheel, the barrel flats suffered. That was sad to see.