Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Ranz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Newbie scope questions...

Can you guys recommend a good entry-level (not bottom of the barrel) scope for long-range rimfire? What magnification? At what point do you need a 20 moa rail?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What distance are you considering "long range"?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:50 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You need to define your expectations a little better, such as what is "entry-level" and how far is "long-range". That being said, I'll take a poke at this.

I have a bunch of scopes ranging from a very cheap Simmons to a couple of nice mid-range Leupolds, with some Weaver, Burris, SIG, Vortex and others in-between. All my shooting is recreational or friendly competition, so I don't have any super high-end optics. I prefer (can only afford!) a balance of quality and value.

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP that I picked up on a whim a year or so ago. It's not the best at anything, nor is it my favorite optic. But for about $300, it offers reasonable glass, decent tracking performance and a some features you don't normally expect at that price point such as an illuminated First Focal Plane reticle. It's available in both Mil and MOA, of course. The range of adjustment is wide enough that I didn't need a corrected rail on my CZ512 for 50 or 100 yards. If you're shooting longer range, YMMV.

Just one opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Ranz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will be mainly shooting for 200yrds. As for a meaning of a entry level scope, im looking for something decent as this is a all new thing for me and don't want to put alot of money in at this point unless I'm sure I'm really going to get into it
Old 09-25-2019, 10:53 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
24x minimum with adjustable objective.
20 moa rail or rings or scope retical with vertical reference marks.
I like my side focus 32x Mueller target scope atop a 25 moa rail.
Almost all my rimfire is done at 200 yards.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:57 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
To expand on this...

Consider the type of rifle you have. Is it drilled & tapped to accept rings or does it have a dovetail? If you decide on a 20 MOA rail, how will you mount the rail?

Burris makes a line of rings that use eccentric nylon (plastic) inserts to give you the same effect as a 20 MOA rail... more than that, really. The rings come in different values so you can mix and match to get anywhere between 0 MOA and 40 MOA (in increments of 5 MOA). They come in different varieties. Some mount directly to rimfire dovetails, some are made to screw down, some are made to fit on Weaver/Picatinny rails.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:10 AM
Ranz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is a set magnification or adjustable the way to go?
Old 09-26-2019, 07:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
This!

Adjustable is fine. The Mueller 8x32 Target Or mildot , is a good scope. Around $250 now. Can be had for less if you shop around.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Another vote for the Mueller 8-32.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:11 AM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SWFA SS fixed powder scopes are $300. They have 100+ moa of adjustment. They come in 10X, 12X, 16X and 20X. I have a 20X, great scopes.

Mark
Old 09-26-2019, 10:59 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz1 View Post
Is a set magnification or adjustable the way to go?
This is a question answered by preference and the "course of fire." A course of fire that has targets at ranges that vary from 25 yards to 200 yards will definitely favor a variable-mag scope while a fixed-mag scope is suited to targets in the same range band (in your case, say 100 yard to 200 yards).

I have come to prefer fixed-mag scopes on my target rifles. I prefer them because:
  • They are usually brighter, clearer, shorter, and lighter than variable-mag scopes of the same quality.
  • They are cheaper than variable-mag scopes of the same quality.
  • I find I almost always have a variable-mag scope dialed up to max mag anyway.

Reasons not to want a fixed mag scope are:
  • A variable lets you dial down to hide mirage.
  • A course of fire with targets at very close ranges and long ranges begs for a variable-mag scope.

If you decide on a variable mag scope with drop marks, mildots, mil-hashes, whatevah, bear in mind those are accurate only at one mag level if you choose the more common second focal plane (SFP) scope.

A first focal plane (FFP) is less common and usually costs more if at the same quality level but the reticle changes apparent size as you zoom in and out on mag so the marks are accurate at any mag level. Downside is the reticle looks very thin and tiny at low mag levels, sometimes to the point of being very hard to see. Perhaps not an issue since at low mag levels you are probably shooting at close targets and being able to see/read the numbers and marks may not be necessary.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:49 PM
ShootsItAll

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is your maximum budget?

Double it.

I'm not trying to be a butt... but... A-scope is not a place to be budget conscious. It's a place to break the bank.

Long range rim fire requires A-scope with serious horsepower.

My goal here is to keep you from throwing money away.

e.g. I am looking at the Sightron 45x45. About $950.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It will depend.....
What are you wanting to 'hit' at 200yd?
Ive shot 200 with 22LR with iron sights to fixed and variable scopes from 2.5x to 20X.