Ruger 17HM2 are in at Whittaker Guns - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I got my bench built. I need to haul it over to the acreage. I may take Friday off and do it. I'll post some group pics if I do.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:48 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razerface View Post
Mine will not extract the old hornady ammo at all, but has no problem with the new stuff. I tried the magazine from my ruger 77 and it will not work at all. Can not even feed one round. I never knew there were different ruger mags until i bought that gun.
Older?
Got a born on date for it? I have a bunch from the late 15 run up through this year and have had no issue with out of a 452
Old 10-24-2019, 02:38 AM
razerface
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armtx View Post
Older?
Got a born on date for it? I have a bunch from the late 15 run up through this year and have had no issue with out of a 452
I don’t know the date on it, but is the older red packaging. My other bolt guns will run it but not this one. I have to stick a rod down the barrel every time to get the case out.

Last edited by razerface; 10-24-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 04:04 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It will help to cover the top. I have a metal cover I take on and off the bench I used the most. Another option would be to get a stall matt from a farm supply like tractor supply and cover the top surface with rubber. It could save your bench from rot and you from slivers.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Arkie_3_fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was hoping to post some accuracy reports from mine, but split cases from multiple boxes of Hornady ammo bought new in 2017 decided to read its head.
Iíve been squirrel hunting with an HM2 practically since they came out, shooting everything from Eley, Remington, CCI to both new and old Hornady with zero issues until now.
4 of the last 12 shots Iíve fired have been split cases and the accuracy has definitely suffered as a result.
Has anyone else had any issues with 2017 Hornady ammo?
Old 10-25-2019, 08:31 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
If you're getting that many split cases odds are its the rifles chamber not the ammo, had the same issue with my first RAR .17hmr, sent it back, the replacement was just fine.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my replacement gun in today. It still takes an inordinate amount of effort to close the bolt. On my American Target and Predator 22 Magnum I can easily close the bolt with my forefinger while the rest of my hand grips the wrist of the stock. I cannot close the bolt that way on this one. I have probably worked the bolt on the other two and estimated 300 times. There is no wearing of the blue where the bolt closes back down into the groove on the receiver. After working the bolt on this one about 50 times, I have worn it down to a shiny bare metal spot.

I will shoot it this weekend. I did cycle some live rounds with no issue. The bore looks smooth to the naked eye. I mounted up a spare Sightron S1 I had laying around. If it shoots and functions properly, I may treat it to better glass.

I don't care how it shoots, this is my last Ruger.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Took the boys shooting today. Outside range is under construction and we were limited to 40-45 yards

Wind was coming from my 4ío clock shifting from 0~5mph

Seems it likes my hornady NTX ammo but not the cci ammo even though they are made by the same company.

Had 1 splits case but didnít happen again. Will clean the brass and take pictures later to make sure I didnít miss any more.

When the case split it got stuck in the chamber and caused a flier on my best group.

You can see other group above with my kidd LW barreled 10/22.

Really need to get to the indoor range with a leadsled but this gives you an idea. I donít think itís as accurate as my whistle pig barreled 455 but time will tell. This only has roughly 50 rounds through it.

Side note: 15 round mag didnít work well with the mach2 ammo but any 10 round mag I had today (tested 3 brand new magazines) worked perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2019, 08:34 AM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Not sure of those circle size frank but looks good. Mine had the same one split case and likes Hornady little better. My groups at 50 keep having flyers and puts me around 1" which doesnt thrill me at all. This is from a lot that I got the minute I saw some after the .22 shortage so don't know if newer is better. I did just pick up some 15.5 grain to try but haven't had time yet. My hmr does 1 1/14" at 90 yrds and I was hoping to at least match that but Im a solid 2" right now with definite flyers. I have a 30/30 lever action with a much smaller scope that matches that or better, maybe I should take that squirrel hunting.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:41 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Think I will pass on this model gun.
Don’t like what I am seeing here group wise or even overall quality wise.

Cheers.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:00 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Think I will pass on this model gun.
Don’t like what I am seeing here group wise or even overall quality wise.

Cheers.
Its not just the group size that bothers me but definite flyers, bad shots that shouldn't because I know usually by the scope movement if I had a bad or good hold with my other guns. A sudden down and left doesnt happen with any other gun I have and sometimes its other places. 150 rnds in, going to try the 15.5 grain and then try pressure points on the barrel. At the moment Il be taking the 10/22 out.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the post of the groups. I suspect that it will improve as the barrel gets more break in. I think it might improve with a bit of tweaking of the action screws to see if that will help tune it a bit. Keep us posted please? I have to get off my butt and order a scope for mine. Can't decide of getting another Athlon this time with mildot or another Nikon BDC. Looking at the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 mildot.

This gun will be my under 200 yards ground squirrel gun and my Ruger Precision rimfire 17hmr will be for farther shot.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:09 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 40 yard groups I saw here I think. I have another rifle that will do that at 75 plus yards. My setup does cost more.
Got a lead sled. Will fire my setup soon in it. I never have before. At 50, 75 and 100 yards. Have 2000 new rounds just delivered to see if this batch will shoot. Cci 17 grainers.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:49 PM
stevenrace

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to stevenrace
this is a 10 shot group at 25 yards with me using a tree as a prop the same as I would in the squirrel woods.
this is a three shot group same hold position on the tree and same yardage.

Donít think it is that bad on accuracy especially for squirrel hunting. I think the groups will tighten up some with some more rounds down range. Now itís time to go see what it will do in the woods.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:59 PM
57springer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenrace View Post
this is a 10 shot group at 25 yards with me using a tree as a prop the same as I would in the squirrel woods.
this is a three shot group same hold position on the tree and same yardage.

Donít think it is that bad on accuracy especially for squirrel hunting. I think the groups will tighten up some with some more rounds down range. Now itís time to go see what it will do in the woods.

Not to shabby !!