Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Mechanicalshystr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
new guy here

hello everyone new here but lurked for a long time, LOVE me some 17hm2 and recently acquired a creampuff marlin 717, bought it on a whim and then read about potential concerns............ what say the board? I cleaned and function tested, smooth as can be ! any suggestions? Thanks James
Old 09-27-2019, 11:05 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Keep your chamber clean and fingers crossed, I've had no problems with Eley, some slight doming of the heads of the brass with Hornady and two Kabooms with early CCI (first run). Fun little rifle if you respect its needs.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:16 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Keep your chamber clean and fingers crossed,
This says it in a nutshell. I never experienced one with my Thompson Center R55, but the constant worry caused me to sell it. I kept a bore snake at my side and used it often during shooting sessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sorry, I failed to welcome you the the forum. We have a great base of members here who have a wealth of knowledge at your disposal. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Mechanicalshystr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thank you all for the responses its not a daily shooter just kind of a novelty ill shoot it with the precautions given thanks again
Old 09-27-2019, 02:29 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Set a limit of 40-50 rounds and then clean the barrel and especially the chamber.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:29 PM
marlinguy76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had one for a short time and only fired about 50 rds through it. Pushing the bolt handle forward before every shot. I was leery of having a Kaboom myself. When I had the opportunity to trade for a 917m2 bolt action, I did. The bad news was the fellow that I traded to had a little Kaboom on the first magazine. He then cleaned it and had another Kaboom, but this time it cracked the stock.
I was leery, I was lucky.
If you're leery of it, make sure the bolt is closed before each shot and you should be fine.
I've heard that even the ruger 10/22's that have been converted to 17 mach2 can have Kabooms.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2019, 10:50 AM
highside

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What is everyone using to clean their chambers for this issue? Cleaner and the tool(s)?

I use jags and patches on all of my small bore rimfires. Should I use a brush and just poke it in and out of the chamber area?
Old 09-28-2019, 12:48 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Chamber brush, followed by Patchwork (there is a .17cal version) has done it for me.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by highside View Post
What is everyone using to clean their chambers for this issue? Cleaner and the tool(s)?

I use jags and patches on all of my small bore rimfires. Should I use a brush and just poke it in and out of the chamber area?
THIS is your friend- link for ideas/ref. only... it is threaded 8/32 for 22 cal. and bigger brushes so it wont work with the smaller 5/40 threads on the 17 brushes/mops https://www.gunsmithertools.com/prod...p-chamber-tool
So...
If ya have a sectional P.O.Crap cleaning rod (such as http://www.copquest.com/kleenbore-mu...ds_65-2401.htm) cut it down and make your own handle... then go buy you a good 1 pc. BORE cleaning rod. With Semi's all I use in the Bore is a BoreSnake from the Chamber end.... never a rod from the muzzle.

Otherwise.. yes your pokie in and outie of the chamber is the way to do it with a Bent Bore Brush = awkward ... needs a extension/handle.

Last edited by Chaser; 09-28-2019 at 03:40 PM.