Extractor problems spoiled a perfect day, need advice please - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Olympicmotors

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Extractor problems spoiled a perfect day, need advice please

Hope everybody is doing well this evening. I finally got to the range with my new 10/22 today.
Extremely happy with how it shoots.

Sent ofg to CPC and let the do a complete tune up before I ever sent a round downrange.
Bushnell 4 x 14 rimfire scope
Volquartsen base
Weaver rings
Harris bi-pod

Finally got it dialed in at 50 yards, and shot several respectable groups.
It did not like the barrel band at all so it is removed.
Firm tension an the action screw,
Very Light pressure on the stock while shooting

Everything was going great until I tried to clear the action with a live round in the chamber,
Extractor would not pick up the round, I had to fire the rifle to clear it.
No malfunctions at all if you fire the rounds, but will almost never pick up the round in the chamber if you manually try to pull the bolt back by hand.

Do I need a new upgraded extractor ?

It almost looks like the extractor cut in the barrel is too shallow, barely any of the case rim is showing for the extractor to grab.

Anyway here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190918_193915.jpg (271.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190918_193934.jpg (267.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20190918_194212.jpg (286.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190908_172542.jpg (312.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190918_194704.jpg (439.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Contact CPC, most likely he'll tell you that the chamber will not shoot stingers, as many others won't ether. Only a sloppy OEM or a chamber specifically cut for them will shoot them.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:54 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It wouldn't hurt to change the extractor. They are under 20 bucks. Sometimes with target barrels the chambers get gummed up and you'll have extraction problems but I don't usually see this with the factory standard barrels. They generally have loose tolerance. Was the barrel set back and rechambered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stingers are not ideal for any semi-auto, and should not be used at all in a tight chambered barrel. BUT... they should have nothing to do at all with extracting unfired rounds. That's the job of the extractor.

First, I'd upgrade the Ruger extractor to a better gripping aftermarket one. I like Power Custom the best, but Volquartsen is a close second.

If changing extractors doesn't fix the problem with extracting rounds from a clean chamber, then the cutout in the barrel may be a bit too shallow. I wouldn't mess with it though unless I had machine shop capabilities. Instead, I'd file the front edge (nearest the round) of the extractor down just a teeny bit to make it swing out less in the barrel extractor slot. Don't shorten the extractor at all, or take any off the outside edge though. That will affect the ejection angle in a heartbeat.

If the problem is with a chamber that's tight and dirty from a long range session, a short term fix is to hold the extractor in with a thumbnail while extracting the live round. It works, but becomes a pain if you plan to do more shooting on that trip. Then, cleaning the chamber with a bent brass brush (.243) brush is the way to go.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:37 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I am confused..
So that rifle has had a CPC tune up?
Why..why/who told you to use Stingers? Bad choice... give those away to some-one you don't like.
CCI Std. Velocity or even CCI Mini-Mags but never Stinkers.
Casing on the Stinkers is longer than a regular Long Rifle cartridge and likely hanging up in the chamber. If shot in a Bentz or Proprietary chamber in high numbers/qty's they can erode that nice chamber.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:21 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
I am confused..
So that rifle has had a CPC tune up?
Why..why/who told you to use Stingers? Bad choice... give those away to some-one you don't like.
CCI Std. Velocity or even CCI Mini-Mags but never Stinkers.
Casing on the Stinkers is longer than a regular Long Rifle cartridge and likely hanging up in the chamber. If shot in a Bentz or Proprietary chamber in high numbers/qty's they can erode that nice chamber.

Chaser is right- Stingers get hung up because of the longer casing. That said, your extractor should be able to pull them. Upgrading to a Kidd or VQ ExactEdge extractor should help with that. If/when you do decide to swap the old one out, do yourself a favor- pull the bolt, & put the whole shebang into a 1 gallon Ziplock bag. Seal the top halfway and slip your hands in through the open half. Using a small pick, depress the extractor plunger towards the rear of the bolt with your pick, and pull out the old extractor. Try to keep the plunger depressed and install the new one. If the pick slips loose, the extractor plunger and spring will likely fly free of the bolt, and would have gone into orbit if you didnít have the works in the Ziploc bag. You can also opt, and I would recommend, that you remove the plunger & spring so that you can give them and the extractor groove and plunger channel a good cleaning and light oil before you re-assemble.

You also might want to look up the many threads on aluminum tape bedding to fix the sloppy fit between your receiver and stock, as well as pressure pad info for help with applying a pressure pad under the barrel.

Plenty of info here on inexpensive ways to tune these little 10-Tweaky-Twos, to quote my good friend Chaser.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

DrGunner
Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Olympicmotors

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To answer most of the questions,.

1 yes the barrel was set back and re chambered

2 I inhereted a bunch if ammo from my dad and stingers was something I had a lot of. I read CCI was an accurate brand.

Much good info here. Thanks I will give it a good cleaning and probably order an extractor and throw away the stingers.

Any other ammo I should stay away from ? I dont want to damage the chamber.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:46 AM
wonshott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
its possible to have a perfectly good extractor and a weak extractor spring. the result is a failure to extract live rounds. consider getting an extra power extractor spring.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Whom ever told you CCI ammo is not good is wrong.. CCI Std. Velocity is the go to for MANY here on RFC.. shoots clean and consistent and groups well at a moderate price... many use the CCI Blazers for plinking and it's good ammo.. just stay away from Stingers. Now, the Gent that told you CCI is bad probably shoots Remington and Winchester.. and THAT IS the ones to stay away from! It's trash.
Get some CCI Std. Velocity or Blazers.. Or and Federal/American Eagle ammo and give that a go.. see IF that feeds and ejects... if so you have a Bingo.
If you are running a OEM extractor get it replaced with a VQ or KIDD extractor pronto! The OEM stamped out extractor is the 1st thing I pull and throw in the round file. No need for buying aftermarket springs.. waste of money. The next upgrade should be a Re-worked Bolt via CPC or a nicer one from KIDD.. if ya do that forget about putting money into your OEM bolt with a new extractor. Also, the OEM changing handle/rod/spring assemble is junk.. I suggest a KIDD handle/Rod/spring set that you can tune to your ammo/action... changes many into a near perfect runner... Run Hornady One Shot Dry Lube in all metal to metal contacts on a 10/Tweekie2... it is your friend.

Last edited by Chaser; 09-19-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try some CCI Standard Velocity. If you never have another extraction problem, you have no problem to solve.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympicmotors View Post

Sent ofg to CPC and let the do a complete tune up before I ever sent a round
From the OP's first post.

If CPC reworked the bolt then he has replaced the OEM extractor.

All he has to do is quit shooting stingers.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post

I still am wondering IF he sent the Bolt to Randy/CPC...?????? It's clear as MUD in his posts.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post

Quote:
I still am wondering IF he sent the Bolt to Randy/CPC...?????? It's clear as MUD in his posts.
Yup- Stinkers are likely the root of the problemo
Old 09-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
As I said I could not understand exactly what CPC did/has done.. barrel for sure.. I get that... bolt is still hazy..

Here is the CPC Bolt work info..

Send in your bolt for the CPC 10/22 L.R. Bolt Combo Rework...
Bolt is disassembled and ultrasonically cleaned. Headspace is surface ground and squared to a .0425 rim depth, the same as a bolt action rifle too tweak in alittle accuracy... A hole is "E.D.M.'ed", a hardened ground solid dowel pin is pressed in over the top of the front of the firing pin... This new dowel pin keeps the front of firing pin from raising up and causing flyers and gives more consistent firing pin strikes... Firing pin is reworked and surface ground flat... Rear / bottom of bolt body is full radiused for smoother/better bolt function with standard and high velocity ammo's
Bolt rework is $43 plus $7 flat rate Priority Mail.
Send in $50 cash, money order or check. Add $10 for jeweling seen side. (See note 1 below)
Add $10 for CPC EDM tool steel extractor.
--------
If.. IF.. he did the bolt.. the OP may not have spec'd the new extractor.. add $10 part may not have happened...
Old 09-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
As I said I could not understand exactly what CPC did/has done.. barrel for sure.. I get that... bolt is still hazy..

Here is the CPC Bolt work info..

Send in your bolt for the CPC 10/22 L.R. Bolt Combo Rework...
Bolt is disassembled and ultrasonically cleaned. Headspace is surface ground and squared to a .0425 rim depth, the same as a bolt action rifle too tweak in alittle accuracy... A hole is "E.D.M.'ed", a hardened ground solid dowel pin is pressed in over the top of the front of the firing pin... This new dowel pin keeps the front of firing pin from raising up and causing flyers and gives more consistent firing pin strikes... Firing pin is reworked and surface ground flat... Rear / bottom of bolt body is full radiused for smoother/better bolt function with standard and high velocity ammo's
Bolt rework is $43 plus $7 flat rate Priority Mail.
Send in $50 cash, money order or check. Add $10 for jeweling seen side. (See note 1 below)
Add $10 for CPC EDM tool steel extractor.
--------
If.. IF.. he did the bolt.. the OP may not have spec'd the new extractor.. add $10 part may not have happened...
Yep maybe or maybe not.
Closed Thread