Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 PM
SuddenMinotaurs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a 597... Now What?

Hey all!

I mentioned in my "hello" thread that I'd just bought my very first gun - a Remington 597. A kind person in the thread directed me over here!

My question is - what is the first thing I should do to get this puppy running as smoothly as possible?

I've taken it to the range a couple times since picking it up, and it seems a little fussy with ammunition. If I'm not shooting HV through it, it frequently fails to eject.

In addition, the magazine is marked as a 10-rounder but anything more than 8 rounds seems to be a real squeeze. Is this common with the 597 mags, or have I just gotten a dud? I assume it's one of the Gen II mags, because it's made of metal (not the polymer Gen Is), but I think I read somewhere that Gen IIIs had a stamp on the bottom.

(excuse the donuts - it was "guest day" at my range so I brought snacks to share with the newbies)

Any advice you fine folks could provide would be most appreciated!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CONGRATS!

Loosen the guide rods and SHOOT THE STEW OUT OF IT! (Apologies for my American colloquiums) by shoot the stew I mean shoot it a lot. If you want a Volquartsen hammer makes a world of difference as does the Volquartsen extractor. As far as the magazines go, the new Black ones (Gen 4? or Keep Shooting magazines seems to work best.) As far as reliability try the guide rods and some High Velocity ammo till you get it dialed in

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...61#post6603361

I've got more than a few 597's and love them dearly! Enjoy and Welcome to the 597 club!!

Last edited by Jammer22; 09-18-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More light reading material!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=164010

And

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=292197

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=67286

Our resident 597 expert 'Al' will be along shortly he's a great guy who knows his stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shoot a couple thousand rounds through it, get it broken in.

The powder load in a 22lr cartridge has evolved over the years. So the 'HV' ammo is the norm.

Hollow point ammo has given me the most trouble feeding over the years.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the subs are stove piping it may need a VQ extractor, If, the rifle is clean and the guide rods not farmer tight. See here- https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=490252
Everything you need to know about a 597 is in the stickies above.

ETA- Rem used to exchange your older mags for new mags. The old GanderMT store here actually did the exchange on the spot for me. That said jam 10 rds in the mags and let em sit when not in use to break in the springs.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 09-18-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 PM
LeverGunFan
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello and welcome! There are "stickies" at the top of the 597 forum, they have a lot of information on how to maintain and tune the 597.

The magazines for the 597 have always been a weak point, but the later versions - look for a "10" inside a circle on the side of the magazine - work well for me. I can get 10 rounds in with just a little extra effort. A company called "keepshooting.com" sells aftermarket magazines that also work as well.

While I have occasionally used standard velocity ammunition, I generally use HV and have no problems. I've found that the 597 has to be very clean to reliably shoot the little SV ammunition that I run through my 597.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:45 PM
SuddenMinotaurs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Phew! I've had a busy few weeks! I was best man at not one but TWO weddings! I haven't even had time to even glance at my gun safe, let alone get out to the range! But now I've finally time to devote to following-up on some of your suggestions!

As far as breaking-in the 597 goes - it's a second hand- well, more like twenty-second hand - gun. Pre-owned doesn't do it justice!
It's probably been broken-in more than anything I could do! So I turned to the other popular suggestion - giving it a deep clean!

It being my first gun, I was very nervous about taking it apart, but I figured I'd bite the bullet and so I did that today. It's actually not as complicated as I'd thought it would be. One major pain is that I don't have any hex-keys/allan-keys that fit the guide-rod pins in the rear of the gun. So I used a brush, cloth, and oil to clean in and around them as best I could. Man - this thing was filthy and cruddy - to the extent that I could hear the gritty sound of caked-on muck on the springs and guide rods as I pulled the charging handle back! I gave them a good scrub and I think they're clean, now.

I'll pick up a VQ extractor and some new mags when I get my paycheck this month!

Anyway - I'd like to thank all the kind folks who provided me with suggestions and links to instructions and threads. I've been browsing them a bit, and I'll keep you all posted when I get this (now clean) baby to the range next time!
Old 10-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenMinotaurs View Post
I could hear the gritty sound of caked-on muck on the springs and guide rods as I pulled the charging handle back!
Remove the stock and trigger group. With the gun upside down pull the bolt back slightly and use a fingernail or wotnot to pull each spring back from the bolt to make sure one or both haven't been caught up in the bolt, which will make that gritty sound if one is caught up. Check both ends of the springs for being mangled from being caught up in the bolt, in which case you'll want a pair of new springs.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:05 PM
SuddenMinotaurs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Remove the stock and trigger group. With the gun upside down pull the bolt back slightly and use a fingernail or wotnot to pull each spring back from the bolt to make sure one or both haven't been caught up in the bolt, which will make that gritty sound if one is caught up. Check both ends of the springs for being mangled from being caught up in the bolt, in which case you'll want a pair of new springs.
Cheers Al! I had a look using a metal dental pick and a fingernail, but the springs look fine and seem to have no trouble when I work the bolt. The guide I'd read and a video I'd watched had warned me to check the guide rods for bending and the springs for getting twisted, but they seem to be okay. Also, since the deep-clean, the gritty sound has gone, so I genuinely think its previous owner just hadn't cleaned it in a long time! The trigger group and sear(?) were utterly coated in crud, and the safety took a bit of work to set to safe or fire. All sparkling and working crisply and cleanly now!
Old 10-04-2019, 01:07 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the tools I highly recommend is the Gunsmither spring trap tool.

https://www.gunsmithertools.com/prod...pringtrap-tool

Pays for itself by not having to replace the recoil springs.

Enjoy your 597.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once you've shot it a few times and get sick of the lousy trigger, install a Volquartsen hammer. Best money you can spend on a 597 for improving accuracy!
Old 10-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the gun now tidy Heidi clean hopefully the cleaned up extractor will grab the subs.