Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boy Do I Have A Lot to Learn

I pulled out my approximately 25 year old Ruger 10/22 carbine. I never really shot it much, a little with my kids. A few years ago I put my even older old Burris 3x9 on it but haven't shot it until last week.

As I sighted it in I noticed the whole receiver/barrell assembly was loose in the stock.
That is not supposed to be, correct? I suppose I shall need to take it down, clean, reassemble and make sure the takedown screw is tight?

Sighting was done from a bench at 10-25 yards and the rifle seemed to respond well despite the looseness.

A couple days later I got to shoot it a little standing offhand at 25-50-100 yards.
I need a sling. Those crosshairs were really waving around.

Found out I have a five round and a ten round magazine. Didn't know they make five rounders.

Of course I will need a trigger but have other irons (insert pun icon here) in the fire for now.

I know pictures are appreciated, I like them too so I will try to get something up.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Get that old girl in shape, we can help, kibitz, whatever you need. Lots of us are handy at helping you empty your wallet/max out your credit card buying candy for your range toy. Pics are welcome anytime.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks here, and some enablers errr I mean encouragers around here too! LOL

Seriously, this a great place for all things rimfire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 12:46 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, you’re gonna have a lot of fun!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 PM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May be a couple pictures.

Good things:
The Burris, which I have hated since it was on my deer rifle during my teenage years, comes right up at just the right spot for an unoccluded view. On my deer rifle I always had to fight and shift to get rid of the shadows that blocked a clear sight picture.
I was using Federal? 555 Walmart box special (bought the day they quit selling certain ammo, I had no idea at the time). Maybe 50 rounds, no jams or problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (301.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (285.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 12:22 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Very nice.
A few things you can check and do that don't cost lots of $.
First, take the action out of the stock and make sure the barrel vee block screws are snugged up, a thumb and index finger is all you need on the wrench, about 11 in. lb. worth.
The stock to receiver fit can be tightened up using aluminum tape, the kind A/C ducts are sealed with. Some strips on the sides and back of the receiver below the wood line will do nicely.
Trigger can be done by Brimstone, inexpensive and great results, three grades to choose from.
Get or make a tool to keep the chamber clean, Gunsmither sells them if you just want to buy one. One Shot spray cleaner and dry lube works good for cleaning and depositing a dry film lube, so no nasty mud from oil and powder residue mixed together.
It will save a lot of breaking it down for cleaning. I just clean the chamber and bolt face after a shoot and spray some One Shot into the bolt area and work the bolt a few times.
Others will be along shortly to either add to or dispute what I have already posted.

http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/

http://gunsmithertools.com/
Old 09-20-2019, 12:37 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltoo View Post
The Burris, which I have hated since it was on my deer rifle during my teenage years, comes right up at just the right spot for an unoccluded view. On my deer rifle I always had to fight and shift to get rid of the shadows that blocked a clear sight picture.
Stock shape and ring height at work. Glad it's working better for your here.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM
RTDoug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice carbine. Nary a scratch on her for her years.
There is lots of good information here, which I bet you already gather. Your mods can go from mild to wild, just depending on your budget and goals.
These little rifles are a lot of fun. I would suggest the bolt release mod and some trigger work. My experience is that you can't go wrong with a KIDD trigger kit.
Find out what she likes to eat and have a blast.
Regards

Oh yeah, I'm a displaced Hoosier too!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Brimstone trigger jobs are very good. I have had both the cheapest (Tier 3) and the intermediate-priced (Tier 2) jobs done by Brimstone and both are excellent. Of course, the Tier 2 is a bit nicer.

Many 10/22 owners find that the accuracy of their carbines is improved by removing the barrel band which really serves no purpose. You could try shooting with and without the band and see if there is a difference. If you like the looks of the band, but find that it degrades accuracy, take some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel or rod of the same diameter as the barrel and sand the inside portion of the top strap of the band that goes over the barrel, until you can see light between the band and the barrel when the band is tightened on the fore-end of the stock.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:58 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well, if it is loose in the stock the first thing to do is try tightening the screw just ahead of the magazine (that is the take down screw). Snug it up and about 1/4th turn more for starters. No sense in shooting a loose gun.
Until you can learn some bench rest basics you can't really tell if it will shoot better with or without the barrel band, leave it on for now.
A sling isnt going to help in your offhand, more practice will, Lots of practice, shoot all you can (offhand is the hardest game of all).
Imo, your best bang for the buck will be improving the trigger. Lots of choices from some relatively inexpensive parts to sending it somewhere to buying a new assembly. The money escalates as you go up the scale. My JWH Hammer Kit (on the inexpensive side) greatly improved mine, good for a sporter anyway, I wasnt trying to make it a target rifle.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some find a "hasty sling" improves their accuracy shooting rifles offhand. Some don't.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! thanks for all the great advice, and even some homework from 'Ol Shooter.

Is that the same One Shot I would use on my brass when reloading?
Nice tip.

I have been lurking here for at least a decade. I would like to just get the Kidd trigger and be done with it but I can't spend the coin right now.

For right now I will tighten the take down screw and see if that prevents movement, then maybe shoot it, and next I will take it apart and look at the bedding situation.

My goal for this one () is as accurate I can reasonably make it for range practice and destructive critters. I like the idea of carrying it and being able to quickly shoot offhand.

Question: I have never used one to shoot with as an aide, but won't the right kind of sling(s) help stabilize the carbine?

I am not a photographer, but if anyone has tips on taking better pictures I am open. I think the first idea may be to go outside for better lighting.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:13 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Probably the most economical choice for a sling that will work well not only as a carry strap, but for rifle stabilization when shooting in either a "hasty" or loop sling configuration, is the USGI web sling.

Ammogarand sells these with excellent hardware in both cotton and nylon. Many people say the nylon slings slip, but I have not had that experience so long as the hardware is of good quality, particularly the cam-action keeper buckle that allows you to quickly adjust the overall length:

https://www.ammogarand.com/amm1gaodcowe.html

The J spring clip on the butt stock end of the sling allows you to quickly detach the sling for use as a loop sling.

This little tutorial has some excellent instruction on how to use both the model 1907 leather sling and the USGI web sling as a loop sling for rifle stabilization:

https://downeastgarand.org/attachmen...ifle_sling.pdf

But to mount a sling to your rifle you are probably first going to want to install a pair of sling swivel studs. Uncle Mikes and others makes screw in swivel studs that will work with your wood stock:

https://www.amazon.com/YYHJ-Sling-Sw...gateway&sr=8-1

I would probably use the threaded machine screw studs with inset nuts on the fore-end of your stock to mount one stud just behind the barrel band position. You will need to remove the barreled action from the stock to do this. You may need to shorten the machine screw with a file or rotary tool if it is long enough to otherwise hit your barrel. You will probably need to use the longer screw-in stud to mount the second stud on the bottom of your butt stock 2-3" forward of the butt plate. These sling swivel studs will accept pretty much any sling swivels like these:

https://www.ammogarand.com/amloslsw1wif.html

You will want 1 1/4" wide swivels for the USGI sling and many other slings.

To use a sling in the "hasty configuration" you leave the butt stock end of the sling attached. Here is a quick video on how to use a hasty sling for standing rifle shooting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8OeQdwFEY

Last edited by pblanc; 09-20-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
The J spring clip on the butt stock end of the sling allows you to quickly detach the sling for use as a loop sling.
Or you can replace that clip with an Uncle Mike's QD sling loop if you worry that clip will beat the snot out of your stock.