100% (1)
What do you all think about this one?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/826544925
Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
With the scope would have been OK. Scope doesn't look great but still couple hundred. It is over with, did you buy it?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:45 AM
PB1234
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, figure scope is worth a couple hundred leaving rifle at the remainder. May have paid a bit more than wanted to, but sort of don't think so since there were others close behind in the bidding showing support for the price. A hundred or two less would have been a really good price, but that was not to be had.

More curious about comments as to the rifle than the economics of the purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 AM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I think you will like the rifle. Mine shoots awesome and I really like it. It's not going to be like a custom bench rifle accuracy but if you are an informal shooter like me that likes accurate guns it will be a good one. Looks like that one has had some work done on it, stock shortened, forearm work and crown touched up and maybe relined? Can you tell?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 AM
PB1234

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Glenn, I too am an informal target shooter who has wanted to play with an accurate Martini for a considerable time. The crown looks touched up from the photos and if the stock has been shortened it will probably fit me better than if not shortened. I doubt if it has been relined, but will know more when it arrives in my hands.

The scope may be taken off and replaced with something more modern and useable now sitting on my shelf. When eventually I dispose of the rifle the scope that came with it will go with it to stay consistent with the period of manufacture. While the scope looks well worn if it still presents a useable scope it might even stay on the rifle.

It is not the exact Martini I would pick if everything were available, but it will serve its purpose nicely as long as it is accurate. Some of the prices I am seeing for a good Martini International are far out of my budget for a Martini and this one should serve me well. Just hoping the trigger is adjusted about as I want it as adjusting the trigger is not something I want to try currently.

Thank you for your advice and comments. Hope it shoots nicely as the Martini action is certainly old fashioned and interesting.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:08 AM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If it was a good competitive shooter that owned it the changes made aren't necessarily bad. If they made the rifle better then it is fine. The reason I say the stock has been shortened is because of the Aluminum but plate, once again something that can be good.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 AM
PB1234

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One never knows when buying a rifle unseen. I noticed the same seller/dealer was also selling other rifles from the same time frame including a Martini customized into 222 Remington which appeared thoughtfully done probably from the same former owner. Things like the trigger shoe and the overall shape of the rifle make me optimistic the work on the crown was also thougthful and hopefully for an experienced target shooter which as you say may be an improvement for an informal target shooter like me. The poor shape of the scope is a bit concerning, but if the rest of the rifle accurate then the scope is not a bit deal for me.

If it shoots at least as well as a CZ it will be fun. If it shoots far better then terrific. If it is a stinker then it just goes into the safe to grow older. My bet is it will be a lot of fun and already worn enough to take out and not be scared of scratching it, etc.

Thanks for the input. A Martini looks like a lot of fun.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:29 PM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the gun by itself was worth what you paid, the stock to me is excellent. If the scope is usable, icing on the cake. Need a range report on this one, have fun. Larry
Old 08-26-2019, 12:47 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope

The scope appears to be a Litschert Spot Shot. They can bring $300-450.00 depending on power & condition. It is not as desirable as a Lyman or Unertl.

Last edited by Kurt701; 08-26-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM
PB1234

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you for the comments. I am just hoping it shoots well. Any advice about the rifle is most welcome. I know very little about BSA Martini rifles.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The scope has external condition issues, hopefully not internal because service on these has become, ummm, beyond me. 10x will not be much at 50yd today, mine has been wearing a 20x internal (Japan Tasco) for 20yrs.
The scope rail does not appear to me to be really long enough for the common spacing on the old scopes. The closer together the external adj. mounts are the 'courser' the adjustments become. It may not matter as the 'clicks' of the rear mount may well be fine enough to compensate and the 'moa' of that rail may actually make the available adjustments more useable.
Did I miss which Mk this one is?
Fwiw, my MkIII was a housefly shooter at 50yd off the bench with mid-grade ammo some years back before I faded. Iirc they were made to compete against the Win 52s, etc. back in the day.
Suppose I ought to pull mine out again.....
Old 08-26-2019, 03:55 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope

The scope is mounted on a modern type rail. if the distance between the center of the mounts is 7.2", the graduations will be fine. The power is pretty standard for the day.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:06 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Probably a good price, and I love BSA Internationals. I think the Internationals must have the best ejector of any rimfire rifle. Are those extra holes in the barrel under the scope bell? Wouldn't matter on a shooter, but extra holes in the barrel would detract from the price most would pay, as would the other modifications; it all comes into play on value.

TBR
Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Those arent 'extra', they are for the proper ext. adj. scope bases and I believe the Int. series came with them. Bases are/were available from Steve Earle and often found on e-bay.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 PM
PB1234

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes the holes are for bases I am guessing much like on my Winchester 52s. Turns out the rifle was owned by a serious benchrest target shooter who got older and unfortunately had a health problem. Not having children his rifles were consigned to an ffl to auction. Speaking to the ffl I am told it is in excellent shape. The ffl is also a gunsmith who built rifles for this fellow now selling them off.

I am very optimistic it will be a shooter. When I shoot benchrest the first round goes exactly where it should and then I get anxious and mess up the following shot. My thinking is the extra time it takes to run a Martini provides time to collect myself and concentrate rather than be excited by my first shot success.

Aside from that is a Martini a cool action or what? I would have paid more for it if it had been necessary. Value is in the hands of the beholder and I too am getting older so it is now or maybe never.