Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 PM
SerenityNetworks
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chiappa Double Badger Sights

For awhile I've been wanting an opportunity gun (as in a trunk gun, to carry when scouting, for a day walk in the field, and for backpacking), so I pulled the trigger on the Chiappa Double Badger in .22 WMR / .410. I'd considered similar guns, but the Chiappa is much more packable.

There's much that can be said about the gun, good and bad, but here I want to address the sights.

For the shotgun function they are fine. No issues. Yet for the rifle they are too course for consistently accurate shooting. I'm sure the rifle is more accurate than the sights allow me to shoot. I'd read this in the reviews, but it's worse than I expected. So I'm wondering about options. Would a red dot or holographic sight be something I should consider?

If so, are there any recommendations? Is there something else that I should consider?

Note: I don't want to break the bank on an inexpensive trunk/pack gun.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 PM
M92pv4u
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have the answer but what range will you be mostly be shooting at?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree, the sights are awful. The best solution I found was to swap it off for something else that had better sights . BUT, that's not what you asked. Personally, I would put a small red-dot on it. The rear sight is easily removed, and there are two grooves for mounting the dot. Get the smallest one you can find, too. Had I kept mine, I'd have probably done the same thing. It was decently accurate so I'm sure it would've improved it. Unfortunately, it had other issues which is why it no longer lives here. Good luck!

Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM
SerenityNetworks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
I don't have the answer but what range will you be mostly be shooting at?
Well, that's hard to say. Since it's an "opportunity" gun, I may use the .22 WMR to take a squirrel at the top of a tree or a coyote at 100 yards. I may use the .410 for squirrel, rabbit, dove, or even turkey or hog.

It's unlikely I'd use the .410 for turkey or hog, but most likely what I'll shoot will be moving quickly. For that reason I don't want to greatly compromise fast acquisition when using the shotgun. For the rifle, I really don't yet know what I might be shooting most.

My experience with holographic and red-dot sights are very limited, so I don't know what would be best or even if either would be suitable. I'd be open to just putting a smaller post on the front, but since the front sight is a fixed unit that also holds the barrels I don't thinks that would be easily done.

Note: The dovetail that is available for mounting an optic is pretty close to the eye. I'd need to experiment, but using an extension to get it further away from the eye might be tough due to the break open action. I don't know if close to the eye is good, bad, or indifferent when considering a red-dot or holographic sight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 PM
springer1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure if these would fit your gun - but here are both receiver & barrel sights.....

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

https://warrencustomoutdoor.com/one-hole-sights.html
Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a look at this:

https://seeallopensight.com/collecti...t=428689063942

Might be exactly what you need, and they're not terribly expensive.

Mac
Old 09-17-2019, 03:48 PM
SerenityNetworks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer1 View Post
Not sure if these would fit your gun - but here are both receiver & barrel sights.....
The rear sight is already a peep. It's the large front post that is the issue. I didn't see an option that would work for replacing the front post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmac View Post
Take a look at this: ...seeallopensight...
Mac
I've seen the ad's before. The few videos I've seen don't show it used for precision shooting, but I wasn't paying a lot of attention either. I need to look into it more closely. Thanks.