Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 PM
shelby1941
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
wolff spring kit in sgl six

I have a Ruger Wrangler in transit and am vaguely interested in a Wolff spring kit. Can give me some info on what spring weight to consider and what sort of results should I expect or at least hope for. PLEASE someone with some experience with this kit help me out with primarily what spring weight to use and maintain reliability with. Any help will be appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANC Shelby Chastain
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Ruk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have a Wrangler but I don't know if I'd mess with the factory springs that will probably give you 100% reliability. My thought would be, what are you hoping to achieve?

If we were talking about a serious target pistol, I might explore aftermarket springs, but I think the Wrangler is more the casual plinker with the fixed sights and short barrel so I don't know if the springs will make any improvement in practical accuracy.

My 2 cents... Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shelby1941, I know this isn't helping you with the information that you have asked for, but Ruk's post really struck a chord with me. I have a new Single-six and I have been mulling over the exact same questions that you have asked, and I am leaning towards this answer.

My Single-six is going to be used for plinking and casual shooting. It doesn't have a really great trigger pull, but it isn't terrible either, and it is 100% reliable. Right now I am leaning towards leaving it stock and enjoying it just as it is. I will be watching the thread though to see the responses that you get.

Last edited by wproct; 09-12-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
First thing you should do is give it, and you, some break-in together as is.
While doing that check out online the 'poor-boy' spring job (folks been doing this for decades and it is completely/easily reversible) It amounts to unhooking one leg of the trigger spring under a grip panel. The Only disassembly is removing the grip panel. I have done this with complete satisfaction on 3 of my Ruger sgl. actions, one of which is a Super Sgl Six. I dont consider a 'kit' any more.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:39 AM
Whalerman
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Springs!

I have several single actions including a Wrangler and Single Sixes.
All single actions have a long lock time (hammer fall).
When one changes the hammer spring to a lighter spring the gun gets easier to cock
but lock time increases as well as the risk of light firing pin strikes.
One must have excellent follow through on each shot to be accurate.
Other members have suggested adequate break in time before making changes and I agree.
Wolff offers two trigger springs, 30oz and 40oz. It's been my experience that the stock hammer spring and the Wolff 30oz trigger give the best lock time, reliability and a lighter trigger pull. Lighter trigger pulls mean extra care in handling!
The Wrangler trigger spring is shaped differently than the Single six but the geometry appears the same.
Bottom line: I'd try the Wolff 30oz trigger spring after break in.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:30 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would suggest that you do not mess with the hammer spring. 22's need that heavier spring for reliability like already said. I have a Single Six Hunter, put a lighter trigger spring in it after reading up on this exact question. The trigger spring worked wonders. I love it with that trigger spring.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:10 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I very much agree with the last two posts. I live within about a 25 minute drive to Brownell's and this afternoon I drove over and bought a Brownell's spring kit for the Ruger single action revolvers. It included 3 different weight hammer springs and a 30 oz. trigger spring. I just installed the 30 oz. trigger spring and left the stock hammer spring in my Single-six revolver and I couldn't believe the difference. It took all of the perceived creep out of the trigger pull and it now just breaks like glass. They list the 30 oz. trigger spring by itself but they were out of stock on it so I just bought the kit. Best money I ever spent on a single action trigger job!
Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 AM
mxl
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
First thing you should do is give it, and you, some break-in together as is.
While doing that check out online the 'poor-boy' spring job (folks been doing this for decades and it is completely/easily reversible) It amounts to unhooking one leg of the trigger spring under a grip panel. The Only disassembly is removing the grip panel. I have done this with complete satisfaction on 3 of my Ruger sgl. actions, one of which is a Super Sgl Six. I dont consider a 'kit' any more.
What he says. It works. no cost, reversible in a minute.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:25 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The "poor boy" method that has been mentioned above actually works quite well, I have done that also. One thing that I will mention, I was amazed at the difference in quality and precision between the 30 oz. spring that I bought at Brownell's versus the stock spring. The wrapped steel coils on the replacement spring just perfectly fit the pin that goes through the spring, whereas the stock spring coils were significantly larger and with only one leg secured on the grip frame pin the spring set kind of cockeyed in the grip frame. Like I said, the "poor-boy" technique does the job quite well, I just felt my money for the replacement spring was well spent. I will admit that I am kind of picky.