Any other .32ACP pistol fans here - interesting option found here . . . - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM
fflincher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
Classic Firearms in North Carolina is offering some Italian police trade-in Beretta Cheetah 81s in .32ACP for a darn good price (I think) - $210 plus s &h. See link. I thought I'd pass this on to anyone who might be seeking such a thing.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/bere...ood-very-good/
Got my hand picked 81 yesterday. 92%. Pretty gun. Three different brands of ammo all showed inconsistent groups! Half way between magazines the point of aim would move 5-6 inches!

Really disappointed!

Any ideas for fixing this? Thinking to check barrel lock up. Any source for .380 barrel? Had one old 10 round .380 magazine that holds and feeds 6 rounds of .32.

Century old Savage 1907 shoots rings around it.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflincher View Post
Got my hand picked 81 yesterday. 92%. Pretty gun. Three different brands of ammo all showed inconsistent groups! Half way between magazines the point of aim would move 5-6 inches!

Really disappointed!

Any ideas for fixing this? Thinking to check barrel lock up. Any source for .380 barrel? Had one old 10 round .380 magazine that holds and feeds 6 rounds of .32.

Century old Savage 1907 shoots rings around it.
Point of Aim moved, or Point of Impact?.... If POA moves, then you either moved your hand (somewhat just kidding), or the barrel did something impossible in that gun.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:53 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Point of Aim moved, or Point of Impact?.... If POA moves, then you either moved your hand (somewhat just kidding), or the barrel did something impossible in that gun.
Maybe his name has something to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 07:40 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Make sure the bore is clean in your surplus gun.
I bought a Star BM from AIM and paid extra for the hand select option.
Well, the gun looks like new, but it wouldn't pattern worth a hoot.
I used Wipe Out bore cleaner twice, first time a bunch of blue goo (copper fouling) came out. Second time brown came out which indicates powder fouling. After that it patterned quite nicely.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Maybe his name has something to do with it.
Could be - but I'm assuming that's in jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
Make sure the bore is clean in your surplus gun.
I bought a Star BM from AIM and paid extra for the hand select option.
Well, the gun looks like new, but it wouldn't pattern worth a hoot.
I used Wipe Out bore cleaner twice, first time a bunch of blue goo (copper fouling) came out. Second time brown came out which indicates powder fouling. After that it patterned quite nicely.
This, too. My old Sauer & Sohn had a barrel that looked like a dirt track, although rifling was visible. Cleaned a bunch, checked with the range owners, then shot it - a lot. It is a glorious little gun to use now, and the bore looks better every time it gets shot and cleaned. It will never be shiny again, but it's now asphalt, at least.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:40 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A true story...

A true story from a man who sold me a military .22 target rifle. He was in the CMP store with many of the same rifles for sale, some were very well used and others like new. He was told, or just figured out, the men who drew rifles for the matches got to know which ones shot best, and those were the ones which looked well used. The ones that looked like new did not shoot as well. May be something to it. The rifle I got from him shot very very well. I doubt this applies to the handguns issued to the police, but a story worth sharing.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:46 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
A true story from a man who sold me a military .22 target rifle. He was in the CMP store with many of the same rifles for sale, some were very well used and others like new. He was told, or just figured out, the men who drew rifles for the matches got to know which ones shot best, and those were the ones which looked well used. The ones that looked like new did not shoot as well. May be something to it. The rifle I got from him shot very very well. I doubt this applies to the handguns issued to the police, but a story worth sharing.
Thanks for that! You never know, but my findings w/some hand guns and shotguns as well has been there is 'clean' and then there is CLEAN and there can be a big dif. between the two and just because it looks shiny when held up to the light does not always mean its actually clean.

With RF's, a 'well seasoned' bore could be much like a similar cast iron skillet where its performance may be counted on. I dunno that for a fact, but it comes to mind.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back to 32 acp. The little job caliber intrigues me, but then I always like shiny objects so this little buger came home with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67E0CCCD-8EEB-449A-9147-4710A7E982AA.jpg (501.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-02-2019, 01:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For those who have bought the Beretta 81, but would like another magazine or two, Beretta USA now has them back in stock.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More 32's: Dreyse 1907

I couldn't resist telling you about one of my older 32 pistols, the Dreyse Model 1907. It was designed by Louis Schmeisser of Schmeisser machinegun fame.

It's a striker-fired unlocked breech design strongly influenced by the 1900 Browning. The pistol had an interesting feature for the time: When the gun was ready to fire, the firing pin projected slightly through the back of the breech block, serving as an early handgun-cocking indicator. For cleaning, the slide pivoted forward from the frame, on a pin in front of the trigger guard. The weapon is 6 1/4 long, 4 5/16 high, and7/8 at the grip panels.

This particular weapon is a World War II capture pistol. The pistol has two magazines and the original flapped leather holster, along with the original stamped bringback paperwork. My father brought it back from Germany at the end of WWII and it is priceless to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1386.jpg (141.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1387.jpg (122.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1393.jpg (119.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1395.jpg (153.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1398.jpg (150.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 10-02-2019, 05:13 PM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle0199 View Post
I couldn't resist telling you about one of my older 32 pistols, the Dreyse Model 1907..
Interesting pistol. I've seen them but never fired one. Have you shot it and if so, whot was the performance like & at whot yardage?

Idle curiosity & all that.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:53 PM
BlackBat242

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is a Mauser Model 1914. 7.65Br (what we call the .32 Auto is known in Europe as the 7.65mm Browning, just as the .25 Auto is known as the 6.35mm Browning).

By the serial it is late 1921 or early 1922 production, and I have both original serial-matched magazines (the Mauser had the pistol serial number stamped on the magazine).

Like the Dryse, the M1914 (and its smaller elder brother, the M1910 in 6.35Br) the firing pin sticks out of the rear of the slide slightly when cocked.

An interesting foible of these is that there is no slide release lever - the slide locks back when empty, and to release the slide you must either fully insert a magazine (empty or full), OR use a screwdriver or other long narrow object to push on the slide release inside the magazine well (at the top of the well, on the right-hand side when holding the weapon for use).

That said, it shoots very well - and is a fun one to shoot. It even handles high-power loads easily (it IS a Mauser, after all!).

A note on ammo - virtually all US-made ammo fires at 900-905 fps (some self-defense loads can fire at higher velocities). The Sellier & Bellot 7.65Br fires a 73 gr round-nose at 1,043 fps!

If anyone is considering a Beretta Tomcat in .32 Auto, note that Beretta gives limit of 130ft/lbs for allowable ammos - and that firing higher-powered ammo can void your warranty! This is because even after they strengthened the frame, higher-powered ammo can still cause it to crack over time!

Quote:
From Beretta customer support:

Model 3032 Tomcat ammunition
Answer ID 676 | Published 07/16/2007 12:17 PM | Updated 10/14/2016 03:59 PM

What type of ammunition should I use in my Beretta Model 3032 Tomcat?

The Model 3032 Tomcat was designed to chamber and fire ammunition sold under the designation of 32 Automatic or 32 ACP from any manufacturer meeting SAAMI or CIP specifications. The manual states not to use 32 Winchester which is an older designation for a revolver cartridge also known as the 32-20. The use of Winchester branded 32 Automatic or Winchester 32 ACP is acceptable in the Tomcat. Additionally, with the introduction of many new high performance loads for the 32 automatic/32 ACP, we recommend that the designated ammunition should not exceed 130 foot pounds of muzzle energy. The muzzle energy information is usually located on the ammunition box or is available from the ammunition manufacturer. If ammunition exceeding this specification must be used it should be fired on a limited basis only, excessive use may shorten the service life of the pistol's components.
Quote:
The document included with new Tomcat 3032 pistols warns that the owner should never use +P ammo (such as Cor-Bon and others) that exceeds 130 FT/LBs muzzle energy. Some (but not all) of the recommended ammunition for the Beretta Tomcat 3032 that remains at or under the 130 FT/LB limitation would be:

Federal Premium Personal Defense 65gr Hydra-Shok JHP (950 Feet/Sec and 130 FT/LBs)
Winchester Super-X Silver Tip 60gr JHP (970 Feet/Sec and 125 FT/LBs)
Speer Gold Dot JHP (960 Feet/Sec and 123 FT/LBs)
Prvi-Partisn 71gr FMJ (902 Feet/Sec and 129 FT/LBs)
Remington UMC 71gr FMJ (905 Feet/Sec and 129 FT/LBs)
CCI Blazer 71gr FMJ (900 Feet/Sec and 128 FT/LBs)

Note that while purchasing ammunition, it is possible with some of the retail shelf personal defense ammunition to find ammunition that can nearly double that of the allowed 130 FT/LB muzzle energy. Care should be taken to research your ammunition for this pistol prior to purchasing it or firing it with the weapon.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:04 AM
BlackBat242

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The magazines are sometimes listed as 7-round, but I fit 8 in easily, and it functions well (new magazine springs from Wolff).
It measures 6 1/4" long, 4 1/4" high, 7/8" wide slide & frame, 1" wide one-piece grip. The barrel is 3 1/2".

7.65 Br was a very popular caliber in Europe in the first half of the 20th Century - especially with police departments - many M1914s (and later M1934s, an improved M1914) left Mauser with ID stamps for various police organizations all over Europe between WW1 and the early 1950s.

Here are the fun parts:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01773e.jpg (440.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01774e.jpg (436.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by BlackBat242; 10-19-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got some new grips for the $210 Beretta. In total, with transfer fee and new grips, this is now a $300 pistol, and worth every penny.

This is the 4th or 5th set of grips from these folks, and every one has been perfect.

Grips4U.net No commercial connection, just a satisfied customer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _SCB3633_resize.jpg (130.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg _SCB3637_resize.jpg (144.5 KB, 2 views)

Old 10-19-2019, 10:24 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
For those who have bought the Beretta 81, but would like another magazine or two, Beretta USA now has them back in stock.
You can make the Mec Gar 380 Cheetah mags work for about half of that $48 price Beretta is charging.