Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Misfires with 22 Mag ammo

Iíve been reading a lot about people having misfires issues with Hornady 30gr VMax ammo...
I was having a lot of misfires with my browning tbolt 22wmr with Hornady 30gr Viacom ammo and I thought maybe it was gun... so I tried cci max ammo same thing... then I switched to cci 40gr hp and the prob went away... well I bought another tbolt 22wmr and same prob 30gr ammo was giving me misfires... long story short I stopped shooting the 30gr ammo and jumped up to the 40gr and above ammo and my misfires went away... So what Iím wondering is... Do you think the heavier bullets are creating more kinetic energy causing the firing pin to hit harder on case if that makes sense???

I just recently switched to the 45gr CD load and the 50gr Fed HP load with zero misfires... just a thought
Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Bottom Gun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't see how bullet weight could influence the striking force of the firing pin.

I would suspect there is a difference in rim thickness or brass hardness.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Don't blame Hornady. It's made by CCI and ftf's are not a surprise.
Manually installed primers can leave gaps in the primer coating in the rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been shooting .22 magnum since the '60s and can't recall ever having a dud round.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It sounds like you probably need a stronger striker spring. It could be other things, like headpsace or bad/damaged striker(firing pin). I would start looking at the spring. Look at the indents on the ammo. In this case switching ammo is not the solution. The rest of the world is loving the Vmax.

As for never having a dud, that is one thing. But; I have had two 22mag guns that needed work. An H&R needed a new (aka stronger)hammer spring and an old Marlin I traded in to a shop to fix and resell. Same issue, after 40 years not hitting them hard enough. I will speculate the mags have a little heavier brass. Just pure guess work on that.

An after though, one of my buddies inherited an H&R revolver in 22LR that also need a hammer spring. And the OP gun is very modern. It should be fixable. Dont give up and forget the ammo swapping and look deeper.

Last edited by fourbore; 09-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:44 PM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Gun View Post
I've been shooting .22 magnum since the '60s and can't recall ever having a dud round.
This!
Old 09-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Howler
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Same here!
Probably the headspace of the cartridge vs rifle.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a shell not extract but never not go bang
Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Possible causes for fail to fire?
Receiver and bolt need thorough cleaning, all the way down to the firing pin.
Pay attention to the interior of the bolt...GSR can deposit there and impede the strike.
Weak spring is possible.
Brass hardness can vary as can brass dimensions.
Primer not in that portion of the rim or primer missing.
Search of rimfirecentral shows a few complaints of poor quality 22wmr.
The manufacturers don't deny that it happens.
They want to see the ammo and have issued refunds.

Last edited by jaia; 09-10-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:04 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Been shooting 30gr ammo since the 60ís
Old 09-11-2019, 07:51 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Hmmmmmmm....possibilities?

Selective amnesia?

Not enough shots fired?

Still using ammunition from y'er stash and not current production?

Wize-adze? Me? Could be.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is no rime or reason. You can shoot rimfires for years and never have a failure to fire. Then suddenly, you get a bunch all at once. Then it goes back to normal. I just cuss and then refire the bad round. It usually fires with a second strike. I recently just had my first EVER first strike failure with ELEY Target.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongochicago View Post
There is no rime or reason. You can shoot rimfires for years and never have a failure to fire. Then suddenly, you get a bunch all at once. Then it goes back to normal. I just cuss and then refire the bad round. It usually fires with a second strike. I recently just had my first EVER first strike failure with ELEY Target.
That about how it went down for me... bought my first Browning T-Bolt in 22 WMR couple 10 years ago or so really canít remember but when I bought this gun it was shooting Hornady 30gr VMax no problems... Then one day I was shooting it and I started getting misfires... cost me a couple squirrels and I was starting to get frustrated... cleaned it tried everything still gett8ng misfires with the 30gr ammo..
Switched to CCI 30gr vmax ammo same problem... trued Remington 33gr accutips and the prob was almost non existent then Iíd get one... but nothing like the 30gr stuff... switched to the CCI 40gr ammo and the prob would only pop up maybe once in 50 shots... switched to the federal 50gr prob gone!!! Now Iím shooting the Hornady 45gr Critical Defense ammo and it so far been going bang every shot and groups great so I wonít be shooting anyth8ng under 40gr in my T-Bolt anymore... tha5s just me and my experience... Iím sure itís something with the gun but as good as the 45gr shoot I donít care that thing will put 5 under a dime at 50 yards
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Howler
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post

Selective amnesia?

Not enough shots fired?

Still using ammunition from y'er stash and not current production?

Wize-adze? Me? Could be.
Not being a fan of the poly tip I can honestly say that no I have not shot a ton of the ammo. I have however measured enough mag cartridge headspace to fill up the back of my pickup.. In 2000 I shot enough "different" mag ammo in a marlin 25mn to trash the barrel in less than a yr. Favorite ammo was win 34gr hp.. This ammo (at the time) would consistently drive thumb tacks straight thru the backing of the target @ a realistic range of 50yrs. If ya find what your rifle likes first, you can shoot alot of different ammo in no time. Anyway,Im not sure why anyone would want to shoot a polytip at squirrels if you intend to eat it! If safety is a issue, I would probably opt for a air gun.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Selective amnesia?

Not enough shots fired? https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sJ...t0hpw6b3KQ=s18

Still using ammunition from y'er stash and not current production? https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Hp...CmJA9PNjtw=s15

Apparently if a person isn't shooting half a case of ammo at each outing and constantly whining and sniveling about ammo quality, that person's posts here have no credibility.

Last edited by Bottom Gun; 09-13-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Clarified post for those lacking reading comprehension