Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:12 AM
stringnut
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Truck is a 2016 built may of 2016. Tsb pertaining to similar issues for build dates April 2016 thru March 2017. Will see what happens.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry for your frustration. Years ago , headed out on vacation with wife and the 4 dogs. Got 40 miles from home. Kablooey! Paid extra to have the truck and dogs back home. All on the 4th of July! One time on Xmas eve on the way to in-laws one guy totals my car. But somehow I get the ticket! Cab home , took the second car. Now when I go on a vacation I rent a car, if something happens they bring me a new one!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Truck issues............

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringnut View Post
10 days ago had the wife's f 150 into the dealer for misfire and oil consumption. They changed the plugs and couldn't find any thing else wrong. Saw the plug and the end was severely eroded and it was fouled beyond belief. We take off today pulling the 5600 lbs trailer and made it about 35 miles. Started rattling to beat the band and misfiring. Sounded like extreme spark knock ,not, a wrist pin or rod. Malfunction light of course came on. Managed to limp it home and get it to the dealer. Was convinced it wasn't right the first time. 36 years working in heavy truck dealerships as tech means I know a bit. Only has 52 k on it.

Vacation is shot. Whine whine whine. After all this complaining just looking for sympathy. Anybody got some? Any one else had vehicle issues ruin vacation

Anyway we are canning about 5 gallons of vegetable soup. Will do another batch tomorrow for dad. He is 90 . Got to do something with our time off.
What year/engine combination on your F150? It could be something as basic as the crankshaft position sensor going bad or, more likely a defective valve guide/seal or oil control ring. Cheer up, it could be worse, you could have been hundreds of miles away from home when it acted up! My personal experience with Ford warranty repairs has been excellent. Years ago, I owned a 6.0 diesel Excursion that developed a leak. Under warranty, the dealer pulled the engine, resealed the lower block to the upper block and reinstalled the engine. All it cost me was $50 for a miscellaneous repair found when the engine was out! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 08:12 AM
stringnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
What year/engine combination on your F150? It could be something as basic as the crankshaft position sensor going bad or, more likely a defective valve guide/seal or oil control ring. Cheer up, it could be worse, you could have been hundreds of miles away from home when it acted up! My personal experience with Ford warranty repairs has been excellent. Years ago, I owned a 6.0 diesel Excursion that developed a leak. Under warranty, the dealer pulled the engine, resealed the lower block to the upper block and reinstalled the engine. All it cost me was $50 for a miscellaneous repair found when the engine was out! Good luck!

For sure happy that we were not a long way from home and that it staggered back to the mother ship. Not a crank sensor, but, could be a cam sensor. Variable wvalve timing is fussy . However given the previous ,recent issue with number 2 cylinder , probably in that area. Due to the oil consumption it would seem that a ring problem is possible. The dealer will not listen and I had to type up the work order as the service advisor just couldn't get it right.

Car dealers just seem to care less about their customers. I have been in heavy truck dealers for 37 years. My lads go nuts if they can't find the problem or have a comeback. I am the foreman and sometimes have to calm them down if there is any type of an issue. My guys pride in doing a good job is unbelievable and I am lucky to have them working WITH (not for) me.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM
3JExplorer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Left on vacation right near the end of June this year. Las Vegas, NV to Oceanside, Ca. a bit over 300 mile drive.
Right about 200 miles from home, going down Cajon Pass in Phelan Ca, We lost all gears in my automatic transmission. Nothing. No movement.

It's early evening around 6 pm. It's about 100 degrees out and the Ford Explorer is loaded up with stuff and our 2 90 lb. Labs.

Long story short. We had it towed back to Las Vegas. 3.5 hours and $975 later
Problem ended up being a bad Control Trac Transfer case.

Took about a week to find one. I replaced it in my garage at home....another $300 or so.

Needless to say. We now have AAA that includes a tow up to 200 miles

Last edited by 3JExplorer; 09-09-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another less than happy Ford Exploder owner!!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Makes me wonder about rings too Stringnut. Bought the wife a new 2015 Honda Pilot a few years ago. Last summer with 5200 miles on it all the dash warning lights tripped and it went into limp mode.

Took it to the dealer and turned out the engine assembly person at the factory (in Tennessee I believe) left the oil wiper ring off the middle cylinder of the back bank and had lined up the ring gaps on all 3 cylinders instead of staggering them.

They fixed it under warranty but dang! Oh well, if it's got wheels or....

Frank
Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 AM
stringnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spent the day at Greenfield Village (great place if you like history) then stopped by the dealer. The service advisor stated he had no idea that my wife's truck was there. He also could not find the work order. It shows in the computer ,but, the hard copy is missing.This a different person than wrote it up Saturday. He had also sent his techs home early as they were out of work😤.

My next conversation may not be as civilized. Going to talk to the service manager later this morning. Hopefully I can beat a loaner out of them. What way to spend my vacation.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringnut View Post
Spent the day at Greenfield Village (great place if you like history) then stopped by the dealer. The service advisor stated he had no idea that my wife's truck was there. He also could not find the work order. It shows in the computer ,but, the hard copy is missing.This a different person than wrote it up Saturday. He had also sent his techs home early as they were out of work��.

My next conversation may not be as civilized. Going to talk to the service manager later this morning. Hopefully I can beat a loaner out of them. What way to spend my vacation.
I had my Ford product in 8 times in 2017-18 for various touchscreen controls problems. When I asked for paper work order copies after the 3rd time they said we don't write it up if we didn't fix it. It was their way of avoiding a paper trail for dodging me pursuing with the lemon law; my guess. I offed it when I got a new Ram pickup. I've had 3 Fords in my life and all were unsatisfactory. Diddle Fords.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately in 10 years I don't think the U.S. will have an auto industry. Boggles my mind how the Asians can run circles around us.
......Tom Petty
Old 09-10-2019, 03:29 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dlong I am quite sure we will have an auto industry, but it may be foreign owned manufacturing plants.

John
Old 09-10-2019, 03:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickridger View Post
dlong I am quite sure we will have an auto industry, but it may be foreign owned manufacturing plants.

John
Hope you're right.
......Tom Petty
Old 09-10-2019, 04:16 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aztarget, I don't have a wife. Life is simpler without one.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:58 PM
stringnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got the truck back after 9 days in the shop. Drove a couple of hundred of miles back and forth to work. Today hooked up the travel trailer for a test drive under load. Made it 6 miles . Severe misfire, light and low power. Barely made it home. After shutting it off it was very hard to start. They have had it 14 days out of the last month and it is not even close to right.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well that sucks, so much for turning the other cheek!