Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:51 PM
stringnut
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Truck crapped out on vacation.

10 days ago had the wife's f 150 into the dealer for misfire and oil consumption. They changed the plugs and couldn't find any thing else wrong. Saw the plug and the end was severely eroded and it was fouled beyond belief. We take off today pulling the 5600 lbs trailer and made it about 35 miles. Started rattling to beat the band and misfiring. Sounded like extreme spark knock ,not, a wrist pin or rod. Malfunction light of course came on. Managed to limp it home and get it to the dealer. Was convinced it wasn't right the first time. 36 years working in heavy truck dealerships as tech means I know a bit. Only has 52 k on it.

Vacation is shot. Whine whine whine. After all this complaining just looking for sympathy. Anybody got some? Any one else had vehicle issues ruin vacation

Anyway we are canning about 5 gallons of vegetable soup. Will do another batch tomorrow for dad. He is 90 . Got to do something with our time off.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:05 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Oh Yeah, Refrigerator and battery problems have messed up our RV trips.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 01:15 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was once a die hard buy American fan. We've had Fords since the 40s in my family from F100s, F250s, F350s, Galaxies, Torinos, Falcons and Rancheros, LTDs, an early Explorer, 89 Crown Vic and Rangers. Fords newer offerings are not attractive to me. I still have some older ford trucks including an early 2000s ranger, but the new trucks are not working vehicles. They seem to be glorified Cadillacs for city slickers and Mexicans with fancy rims who never pull or haul anything but drugs. Aluminum body for gas milage makes for a very dent prone vehicle. The materials seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper with every iteration. I have a 10 year old Toyota Corolla sedan I bought new. This thing has been the best car I ever had! 160k and going strong. Minimal repairs beyond brakes and shocks so far. Reliable, efficient, well laid out.....just well built (in Canada). My next new truck... will be something other than a ford. Likely a Toyota or Nissan. My buddies newer dodge is already leaking oil and Chevy has a long history of shoddy construction. I don't care how many ways you can arrange the tailgate for old guys to step into the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Fredvon4
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NEW TO US 98 Winnebago 40' monster. First road trip after a LOT of me repairs and upgrades......nit wit crosses three lanes in front of us to get to an exit....I stood on the brakes...literally...pow! blam! pedal to the floor....pump pump pump no go.....park brake is a dinky disk on the drive shaft not worth burning up....drove the 22K lb behemoth until an upgrade to slow and Emergency LANE PARK to wait for a tow.....did I ever mention I love cell phones

found a big truck repair...enterprise rent car to home....pick up the RV 10 days and $6200 later...master cyl, rear axle wheel cyls and shoes, front axle new disks and pads....yes I did tell the shop to make all brakes work......

since we were / are retired we just went to visit family 12 days later....if still working this event would have sucked badly
Old 09-07-2019, 02:03 PM
stringnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Well heck! Sounds like it's time for another set of spark plug coils and don't take no for an answer from the dealer/mechanic.
Doubt it's the plugs again. They have less than 500 miles on them! If it's missing on the same cylinder again it's not the coil pack. I swapped it with another cylinder the day before the plugs were changed as a quick diagnostic step. Misfire didn't move. Also has been using excessive oil. Truck falls right into a service bulletin that states to replace the long block if it has misfire and oil consumption. We were documenting oil consumption on this trip. I told them it wasn't right 10 days ago. That is what really hacks me off.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 92 Ford 150 4X4 with the little straight six and five speed standard transmission is pretty much trouble free. If something goes wrong I just get it fixed and keep on trucking. I'm not into the pricing of pick up trucks, too much. Mine's been paid for for years and any maintenance or fixes has been well below monthly payments. It's ugly and beat up looking but it's mine and I love it.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:25 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka View Post
My 92 Ford 150 4X4 with the little straight six and five speed standard transmission is pretty much trouble free. If something goes wrong I just get it fixed and keep on trucking. I'm not into the pricing of pick up trucks, too much. Mine's been paid for for years and any maintenance or fixes has been well below monthly payments. It's ugly and beat up looking but it's mine and I love it.
Does your wife say the same thing about you?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:37 PM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I for one give you my sympathy . Worked on Fords for 42 years until retirement in 2017 Hope they find something simple IE plug threads stripped out of head right after R/I of old plugs and can insert Helicoil without pulling the head . Actually I have used Time -Serts on at least 100 of the same Helicoil is the wrong term . Had one make racket one time that the left camshaft sprocket retaining nut loosened and had a loud enough knock to trigger the limp mode due to the noise to the block sensor, thought all the lifters on that bank where starving for oil . Actually pulled it out of an E series chassis before finding the nut loose . Ahh the memories . Good luck , Hope the soup goes well !

Last edited by wjritchie; 09-07-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 09-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I feel for you and the wife having your plans ruined, and what you will have to go through to get the truck straightened out.

I have been driving Ford trucks for 40 years and my curiosity has to ask, what motor is in the truck ??
Old 09-07-2019, 05:17 PM
stringnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2.7 ecoboost. It has been a little monster so far. Great acceleration, pulls the trailer (about 5600 lbs) no issue, and get 10.5 to 12 mpg pulling the trailer.

There is a bulletin and the truck falls in the build dates. It states the if it has a misfire code, oil consumption issues and has ever logged a low oil pressure fault to replace the long block. Oil use has to be verified which we were in the process of doing.

Lemon law does not apply as it has not been down long enough. I purchased the ford extended warranty and the engine is still under original warranty. Should not have an issue in that regard.

The inconvenience is the issue. This is especially vexing as I told them it was not right.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:35 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I feel for you.

At least it is under warranty.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:23 PM
stringnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies guys. Vacation will not be a total loss. We left at 6:30 am and had the trailer home and the truck to the dealer by 9:30.

Went to the farmers market and got enough ingredients for canned vegetable soup. Wife is finishing the second 5 GALLON batch now.

Put a new sight on the bow and got it good at 20 and 30.

Ordered 2 jerky cookbooks and that should be fun.

Didn't know it was going to be a working vacation 😁
Old 09-07-2019, 07:28 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I worked in private, fleet, and dealer shops for decades, including Ford. Take it back. If they tell you they found nothing else wrong again, tell them you are contacting the customer service advocate. The contact number should be in the back of the owner's manual, at least it was thirty years ago. That will get things moving in a positive direction. You would not believe the junk I saw coming off the vehicle transporters. Ford would gladly pay the dealer to fix the crap that came off the assembly line, but they would not take it back under any circumstances.
Good luck.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:18 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd suggest you go over to the F150 Forum and look under the section that pertains to your year truck and engine. It is a huge Forum. What I'm reading is some of the engines have problems with the timing sensor/cams, etc. I haven't had the problems. My old 5.4l V8 was slow but dependable. The 2.7l I have now runs like a scalded cat. Off topic but I was looking at a video link there the other night....93 octane tune they called it. These engines... 2.7l and 3.5l will run on regular or premium ( higher octane rating, harder to burn, can handle higher boost and temp without pre ignition). These tuned turbo engines, just a slight reprogramming of the computer will run 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and that is with a 4 wheel drive version. Stock the 2.7 is the fastest. Tuned the 3.5 is slightly faster...like 1/10 second and both are faster than the V8. The lighter 2wd will be even faster. Good luck with it. The Ford stealership here charges $145/hr labor and everything is your fault. Drive it off the lot and the engine blows....your fault. 1917
Old 09-08-2019, 06:23 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What year truck and engine? 1917