Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:39 AM
DES/TSD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

James is indeed a Master of his Craft. Rich has shown he has knowledge and vision. Well done both of them.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:30 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sublime

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy
Old 09-08-2019, 04:35 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
The photography is as great as the rifle. Really enjoy your post and the rifle you have had made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 08:46 PM
rizzle
Fire Fighter GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That is an absolute beautiful piece of art! Very jealous!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 PM
WATCHADDIC
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
thanks again all
Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 PM
WATCHADDIC

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES/TSD View Post
James is indeed a Master of his Craft. Rich has shown he has knowledge and vision. Well done both of them.
Thank you Dennis, it means alot coming from you, another Master of his craft.

Lets not forget Jesse's artwork, it flows with the rifle. It definatly doesn't overpower it. I believe it completes it.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:41 PM
desertmoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Incredible. I enjoyed every picture.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 PM
DES/TSD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're correct! Never forget the Engraver! His work is indeed well done.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCHADDIC View Post

It was sad to see how far this rifle had fallen after it left TBR's possession.
I am at once disgusted and elated. Disgusted that a near-pristine Dakota 22 that I bought for about $1900 and later sold for about $4000 () was exposed to such abusive treatment. Why would someone pay that much for a rifle and then abuse it? Elated, however, that the same rifle finally found a most appreciative home and has been given truly royal treatment. Could be one of the nicest .22 rifles ever made.

It's also deja vu all over again on some of the gunsmithing involved on a Dakota .22 action. As you may recall, I also was forced to make a similar adapter to accommodate a better trigger, in my case, a Kenyon M70 trigger...I guess great minds think alike:

Any problems getting the new trigger sear to clear the sear engagement with the firing pin when reciprocating the bolt? I recall very little room for error on mine. I also had a very hard time getting the trigger positioned correctly to get the safety to properly retract the firing pin.

One last question: Did you alter the bolt stop arrangement? The original Dakota release, accessed from the magazine well, would not work with the Kenyon trigger adapter. I ended up using an Anschutz bolt stop and release on mine:

Simply gorgeous rifle!!

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 09-09-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:41 PM
WATCHADDIC

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I am at once disgusted and elated. Disgusted that a near-pristine Dakota 22 that I bought for about $1900 and later sold for about $4000 () was exposed to such abusive treatment. Why would someone pay that much for a rifle and then abuse it? Elated, however, that the same rifle finally found a most appreciative home and has been given truly royal treatment. Could be one of the nicest .22 rifles ever made.

It's also deja vu all over again on some of the gunsmithing involved on a Dakota .22 action. As you may recall, I also was forced to make a similar adapter to accommodate a better trigger, in my case, a Kenyon M70 trigger...I guess great minds think alike:

Any problems getting the new trigger sear to clear the sear engagement with the firing pin when reciprocating the bolt? I recall very little room for error on mine. I also had a very hard time getting the trigger positioned correctly to get the safety to properly retract the firing pin.

One last question: Did you alter the bolt stop arrangement? The original Dakota release, accessed from the magazine well, would not work with the Kenyon trigger adapter. I ended up using an Anschutz bolt stop and release on mine:

Simply gorgeous rifle!!

TBR
Yes, I don't understand either a little oil saves a lot of money. I wish I could have found a Kenyon trigger, we looked but had no luck.

James made some new sear parts and etc for that all to work perfectly.

We left the bolt release in keeping with the theme of what James would have made at Dakota Arms in the early to mid 90's
Old 09-09-2019, 03:57 PM
WATCHADDIC

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Next project James is doing for me is a Remington 37. A member sold me the action, another member sold me the kenyon trigger. It is going to be a big challenge for James but will be fun.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:50 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Wow, making a Model 37 into a best-quality sporter matching that Dakota is going to be a huge challenge. Mine turned out okay but certainly not "Guild" quality; just an octagoned original barrel, home-made scope bases, and a sporter stock. I think the M37 tang can be modified for a sleek wrist design, but that cartoon-ish bolt handle, the split receiver bridge, and creating and mounting nice scope bases are the main obstacles. I retained the original safety, but I'll bet James will have something to say about that .

TBR
Old 09-09-2019, 05:17 PM
WATCHADDIC

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
The 37 is being designed to match his big brother the James Anderson custom 40xb repeater, pictures below

here is the thread

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=582494

The blank for the 37 is the sister blank to the 40xb its going to make a great pair!!!!

Last edited by WATCHADDIC; 09-09-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:22 PM
WATCHADDIC

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I think the M37 tang can be modified for a sleek wrist design, but that cartoon-ish bolt handle, the split receiver bridge, and creating and mounting nice scope bases are the main obstacles. I retained the original safety, but I'll bet James will have something to say about that .

TBR
Doing an extended tang, shotgun style tang safety, redesigning the bolt release to change the factory safety lever/bolt release. New mag well design but using factory mags. The bolt handle is definitely the biggest challenge I'm excited to see the outcome.

The purposes is to see how slim, trim, and light we can make this sporter. With the quick lock time for the action, I have a gut this will be a truly special squirrel rifle.

Last edited by WATCHADDIC; 09-09-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Grayrock

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqbill: Inspirational! If you don't mind a question, how much did this work of art set you back?
That is in the realm of "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it"! Glad I can enjoy it vicariously. Very beautiful. Great job by all involved.