Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:56 AM
noshow
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Bolt Buffer: What are the benefits?

I see that a lot of folks add this feature to their 10-22s, but I have no idea how that improves the rifle. Please explain, thanks!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:01 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The main benefit is that they are quieter. They also act as a cushion vs a hard metal hit.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like them cause they don’t fall out like some of the steel ones do.The hard ones are easier to get in than the soft ones, Also they allegedly prevent the holes from getting out of round from all the battering. Maybe they dampen vibrations that might effect accuracy. Most people like them, some say they are unnecessary. For less than $2 what can it hurt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
It's quieter, and the less shock my optics experience the better.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quieter, plus it feels a bit smoother when you cycle the bolt.

Some people have reported that the holes in the 10/22 receiver that hold the bolt stop pin in place can become ovalized after extensive live fire. I can't comment on the likelihood of this happening or how many rounds it would take.

They are pretty cheap. Just try one and see what you think.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
no need to break the bank

you don't need a fancy name brand buffer...and clearly those 2 piece ones are a pain in the butt.

Just find a 1.25 inch length of .25" nylon rod....the shaft of a nylon bolt will work. These are available at Home Depot for a buck or so for a 2 pack that will make 4 buffers with a saw or Dremel and 3 minutes of time. Cut off the head and threads of bolt, then cut remaining shaft piece to size.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 AM
RTDoug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
you don't need a fancy name brand buffer...and clearly those 2 piece ones are a pain in the butt.

Just find a 1.25 inch length of .25" nylon rod....the shaft of a nylon bolt will work. These are available at Home Depot for a buck or so for a 2 pack that will make 4 buffers with a saw or Dremel and 3 minutes of time. Cut off the head and threads of bolt, then cut remaining shaft piece to size.
...and bevel the end edges abit with sandpaper to ease installation.
Regards
Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Plus one ! They work fine in my DSP. Or at least the first one I made about 3K rounds ago. It's still like the day I made it, and I have five more I may never need.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:14 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure this question can be definitively answered. I asked in another forum for any empirical evidence that replacing the steel pin would improve the rifle, or leaving it in would adversely affect the rifle. Silence.

In my stock 10/22 carbine, there is no way I could isolate the sound of the bolt hitting the buffer pin on recoil from the sound of the gunshot. Since I am wearing ear protection during my range sessions, and most of the time during extended plinking sessions, the possibility becomes zero. I suppose if I was using a suppressor, then perhaps I could hear it. Or perhaps not.

As far as wearing out the pin retaining hole in the receiver, I recall reading posts from several folks who have put thousands, if not tens of thousands, of round through their 10/22 with the factory steel bolt buffer pin without any adverse effect. The pin retaining hole in mine, straight from the factory, was loose enough that I wrapped a piece of tape around the back of the receiver to keep the pin from sliding back & forth and hitting the inside of the stock every time I tilted the rifle.

Perhaps the aftermarket replacement bolt stop pins are mostly marketing....

As always, these are simply my opinions. To each their own.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:23 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cabin22, just for info, I have been able to isolate the difference in sound, and it is quite real. Of course, what makes it so noticeable is the use of a suppressor, which is a whole different $$$ ballgame.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:31 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
Cabin22, just for info, I have been able to isolate the difference in sound, and it is quite real. Of course, what makes it so noticeable is the use of a suppressor, which is a whole different $$$ ballgame.
OK, thanks. I don't have a suppressor, and do not plan on getting one, so the steel pin is fine with me. Since I haven't really looked at suppressors, what does an average one cost, for a 22?
Old 09-16-2019, 11:02 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cost for rim fire suppressorss runs in the $350 to $550 range , and Class II / Class III dealers do put them on sale. Then there is the matter of the $200 dollar federal transfer tax and the 6 month to one year processing time for that application. We were lucky; we purchased ours several years ago when the processing time for approval of the application and the tax stamp was 90 days or less.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may not feel or hear a difference in live fire, but you will definitely hear and feel a difference when you cycle the bolt manually.

If you have tried a synthetic bolt buffer and don't appreciate any benefit, there is no good reason to switch from the steel bolt stop pin.

If you have not tried one, just do so and decide for yourself. They are quite cheap to buy and even cheaper to make.

I have a Kidd bolt buffer in one of my 10/22s and a "Tuffer Buffer" in the other. I have had people borrow my rifles at Appleseed events and comment on how smooth the action feels when they cycle the bolts. I am never planning to go back to the steel pins.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:26 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buffers

Long ago but not so far away in the land of Rimfire Central, 10/22s were often referred to as "click-clacks". Then along came the buffer to replace the steel pin!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:13 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Exactly. I've tried the flimsy ones, and some can be a PITA to install and don't feel solid. The nylon taps right in, and fits good and tight. It's what CPC uses when they do a full tune up... and he's had his hands on more of these guns than all of us put together. lol