aftermarket recievers - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

TBR, I have used one of the tactical innovations railed receiver and three of the non-railed brownells receivers with 2 more waiting to be built on. I have been very happy with both. As noted in other threads the bolt rail on the brownells will most likely need to be shortened (all of mine have about 1/16) but the finish is nice and smooth and the barrell fit is very tight with green mountain and kidd barrels. I know others have had issue with the early ones though. Mine were all made in the past 3 months so hopefully those early problems have all been worked out.

The tactical innovations was also smooth although slightly rougher then the brownells I have. Other then that i would say they are pretty comparable. I have not tried their version without the built in rail though.

Here is one I put together for a friend recently with JWH bolt, 20" green mountain barrels and jard trigger. Shot great!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Andrew22; 09-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know you said aluminum, but S&P has Kingston Armory receivers , steel, fo $80. Donít forget your 5% RFC code, it will cover most of the $6 shipping fee.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
To answer your question as to which receivers I would say any of the higher end aftermarket receivers will work about the same. Kidd, TI, & Feddersen would be my top picks for a new build. My preference would be a Kidd just because I like the way they look (and they have a rear tang &#x1f606. They are all cnc'd to tight tolerances. I think TI might be the cheapest, depending on which one you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 05:30 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I appreciate the responses. I would usually go for steel, but weight is of primary concern. This will likely be my take-the-grandkids-to-the-range rifle.

Am I missing something? I don't see Kidd receivers for sale on his website.

TBR
Old 09-10-2019, 05:34 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I appreciate the responses. I would usually go for steel, but weight is of primary concern. This will likely be my take-the-grandkids-to-the-range rifle.

Am I missing something? I don't see Kidd receivers for sale on his website.

TBR
Kidd has two sites.

Here ya go:

https://www.coolguyguns.com/RECEIVERS_c_25.html
Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Got it. Thanks. Hmmm, $172, and not too toothy looking.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Geez Louise! I started reading this thread because I wanted to bone up on what aftermarket receivers are currently available, and all the talk is about the benefit, or lack thereof, of a second action screw!

Not gonna wade in deeply on this one, other than to simply state that no one would be foolish enough to insist a second screw would never be a benefit, and, conversely, no one would be foolish enough to insist a second screw would always be a benefit.

Okay, back to the OP's question...with a bit of hijacking from me

I have a VQ barrel, trigger, and a complete bolt assembly left over from my brass 10/22 project and would like to use those components to make another rifle. All I need is a receiver and stock. What aluminum receivers do the RFC brethren recommend...preferably those who have actual experience with specific brands? I prefer a non-lug receiver, only because it complicates the stock options (which may be the real answer to the OP's question ).

TBR

P.S. I guess aesthetics will also play a role for me...just can't abide all the toothy, tactical-looking receivers.
What grade aluminum?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:52 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
What grade aluminum?
Sounds like someone is trying to pick a fight.
The "best" grade of aluminum, of course
Old 09-10-2019, 06:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
Joe Chacon had a conversation with Tony Mele about rear tangs, but IIRIC, it was only concerning Tony Mele stocks.

As we all know, ABRA sells TM stocks of Joe Chacon's design(s).

If I am not mistaken, Mr. Chacon himself said that there was no difference in accuracy between a tanged and a tangless build, so I would assume that he personally tested 2 configurations--perhaps no beddings involved even.

I wish the venerable Mr. Chacon would chime in.

Again, we are talking about TM stocks which are SO PRECISE in fit---bought 3 from him so I can personally attest to
this claim.

My Feddersen receiver does not fit any of the 3 stocks but my TI receivers do and so do OEM Ruger receivers on the TWO (tested my bud's) Avenger TM stocks.

Have not tested an OEM Ruger receiver on my SPECIFICALLY TI receiver inletted TM NightHawk stock though.

Nick has said that he cannot interchange his KIDD and OEM Ruger receivers across specifically-inletted TM stocks--I believe he has 3 or 4 TMs.

I still think an ill-fitting stock would benefit from a rear tang though.
That is what he told me?

Now unless I am mistaken, who in the US makes a more accurate 10/22 than Joe Chacon. I know I have one. It will easily shoot 5 shot groups in the .1's at 50yds. Quite a few will be low .1's. No gun I have built will touch it consistently.

I think Joe's exact words when I asked about a Kidd rear tang was it is not needed.

He built mine with a Grand Master receiver and Douglas 4 groove barrel.

Now I don't shoot much anymore. But I will bet I could easily shoot some like these in about 30 min of practice on a good day.

Last edited by ILIKE1022; 09-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Joe built these ABRA 10/22's to shoot score. They will shine at that too. This was the 2nd or 3rd IR50/50 target I shot that day a few years ago. That will explain the no sighters for I had it pretty much hitting centers. This was shot with SK Pistol Match. I missed 1 10 ring on bull 6. The wind shifted not the gun or ammo. I readjusted my aiming point and started eating centers. I scored it a 249-19x. 17 out of the last 19 shots after the missed 10 ring were all X's. I am not that good of a score shooter. But the gun is super accurate.

Last edited by ILIKE1022; 09-10-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:51 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Did you ever stop to consider that my high post count might have something to do with the fact that I moderate on this site, started and have continued to run all of the games in the Ultimate 1022 forum, and originated and ran the entire Ultimate 1022 contest forum? If you would take the time to look back in time and read, you would find that the builds that I have created still hold second place in the 50 and 100 yard Ultimate shooting games.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=462794

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=46280

Leader boards that I notice GH41 & Bigboresí names are conspicuously absent from.
So, until either one of you guys proves to me that you can actually build a sub MOA rifle, youíre free to criticize all you want. Words are wind without results to back your claims.

Bigbore, all you have proven to me is that you figured out at least one way NOT to do it. Bravo.

We are all entitled to opinions- Iím more interested in reading content from people who have actually accomplished something notable in building these rifles, and actually figured out how to do it right, and can prove it with results.

My results support my position.

DrGunner
Doc, you don't see my name on the leaderboards because I am NOT a benchrest shooter. Does that make me less entitled to have an opinion or make an educated guess?? You keep failing to quote me saying I don't believe the rear tang juice is worth the squeeze to the everyday shooter. Very few of us are capable of truthfully saying we have reached the pentacle of success you obviously have achieved. The problem is the very accomplished benchrest guys try to shove their sport down the throats of a guy wanting a more accurate squirrel rifle. Everyone doesn't want to be like you. You make them feel insecure if they don't care to buy into the benchrest game. I wonder how many squirrels or tin cans have been killed by guys shooting an out of the box 10/22?? Most likely many more than the number of .2 groups you have shot. Everyone doesn't live in your world.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that doesn't mean that a Kidd rear tang receiver is a bad idea or that it won't make a great shooting gun. Doc has some great shooting guns. I say use it if you wish. Choices are a good thing. And if it has worked for you then why change a good thing is what I always say.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:11 PM
NicholsT55
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my take on it. I'm a 10/22 newbie but have been shooting various other disciplines for decades. If you feel that a rear tang is a worthwhile addition, good. Buy an aftermarket receiver with one, or modify an existing receiver to have one. Shoot it and enjoy. If you don't feel that a rear tang is worthwhile, fine. Don't use one. Those on either side of the fence should refrain from slinging mud at those on the other. Agree to disagree, and move on. Life is too short to stress over minutiae. Or whose is bigger.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I don't think it's a matter of anyone trying to tell anyone else what they should or should not do. I think it's just one side having an opinion it's not needed and the other side that it is. But I like what your getting at. 🙂
Old 09-10-2019, 09:04 PM
bullseye4845
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Aftermarket receivers

I have also read DrG's post, and I see no demeaning, or criticism of your squirrel rifle quest. Why all the unresolved anger amazes me, when the beauty of this site is the fellowship, and support given when asked, or recognized great ideas without darts being thrown. You have the right to accept or deny any post without having to get offended, and upset. A state of security is being confident in your opinion, and not being negative-- I don't see any insecurity in Dr.G's post at all. I have only known DrG's informative info to be freely given, and to show the results in his quest for a better grouping 10/22. I always 'go to the source' when I want the best info I can find on the 10/22, and the Dr has always amazed me with his freely given results. I know of one one in the last several years that has give more to this site than the Dr., and have never seen a negative post about anyone with a deterrent attitude. Let the past be in the past, and not deter this site from growing even more.
I confess that Joe makes some great shooting rifle; however, I have only seem them with a TUNER, and not a necked barrel. I will bet the top 5 shooters mentioned on this site---if applying a good tuner, will have even better grouping---perhaps only a fraction, and that is all it takes to win. Calfee stated that, "no one can win the big events without a tuner!" Yes, that is in bench rest; however, we are talking about accuracy. When a 10/22 will group regularly 0.1 inch at 50, is amazing for sure! I bet rifles that will shoot that good will have a tuner, and pray for good ammo. No, you do not need all the aftermarket parts to have a good squirrel rifle, but it is nice to have one of each to play with. I have all my rifles with one take down screw, but wish they were with two, as it is so much easier to work with for accuracy. Another good advice per this site, is to replace the take down screw, with a 1/4 x 20, as it really does make more stable ---in my opinion.