Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:40 PM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustem View Post

Anyone wish to chime in on those calibers for long range?
I do several long range shoots per year with a group of about 20 guys. Of those 20, I'm going to say 12-15 are shooting 6.5CM, and the balance are .308 and .300 WinMag. Out at 1,000 yards, I can tell you I am holding a lot less for wind than the .30 cal guys.

I don't have personal experience with the 6mm creedmoor or 6mmBR offerings, but for your purposes, I would rule out .243 WIN. In my experience with .243, which is mainly prairie dog shooting, I find the sweet spot to be between 300 and 500 yards. I think it's a great hunting round and I've had awesome results with it, but for LR, there are much better options. I know you said you reload, but there really isn't too much, if any, match-grade factory ammo for .243.

The reason I like 6.5CM so much aside from the performance is the availability of quality factory ammo. I've been able to find a number of different options that shoot well in my rifles for the task, e.g., SMK's for more precise target shooting at 200 yards and under, Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP's for our long range shoots because it's more economical (we go through several hundred rounds), Hornady 143gr ELD-X for prairie dog shoots (overkill yes... but when you're shooting at targets 500-700 yards away in a 15-20 mph wind, the heavy bullet makes a big difference).

I have two rifles that I use for long range, the T3x Varmint 6.5 that I mentioned earlier (that barrel is just under an inch in diameter) and a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5CM with a 24" barrel. The latter has a muzzle brake on it. They are quite comparable but the varmint is a bit more accurate and I can shoot it longer before it starts to heat up.

I also agree with the comment about getting good glass. If you're going to shoot long range (1000 yards); you need good glass or it doesn't matter what caliber you're shooting. On the aforementioned rifles, I have Vortex PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP MRAD scopes. It is a reasonably priced optic and does the job. You can certainly spend a lot more but you can also spend less. On our last LR shoot, my son was shooting a Tikka with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP MRAD and he was banging steel at 1000 easily and it was his first time shooting long range.

So, I will admit that my own experiences bias me towards the 6.5 Creedmoor but I think it's a very good choice for what you're looking to do and there are a LOT of choices in good factory rifles and ammo out there for it.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:15 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
6.5x55 Swedish.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 PM
DocSavage
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to DocSavage
I just pick up a 224 valkyrie 1/7 twist 88 gn Hornady EDL bullet out 500 yards no sweat check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 PM
Dustem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m currently looking at pawn shops and I have a lead on NIB old stock Tikka T3 ~$550 in 243.
At that price I can get a CZ 527 in several calibers or $100 more gets me into a 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Or even cheaper some of the Rem 700 in 6.5CM.

Any of which could be shot as is and built on in the future.
This will probably be my daughters first year hunting so all the more reason / justification (wife)to buy a few new rifles..
Still debating 6mm and 6.5mm

A trip to the range on Monday reminded me that 25 rounds of 180gr at ~2750fps in a light rifle isn’t super fun.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 PM
StdVel

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Second the vote for both visiting Accurate Shooter and using some sort of 7mm. Check out the articles on the various 7mm cartridges on AS.

7mm is a fantastic compromise for long range target and large game hunting if it ever needed to serve double duty. If you get a fast twist barrel you will be able to use the heavier lead projectiles and mid-heavy monometals. 284 Winchester looks pretty sexy for a short action to me.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 AM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a relatively inexpensive gun that shoots very well and has a lot of features for not a lot of money, take a look at the Remington 783 Walnut in 6.5CM.

The 783 is a barrel nut type setup so barrel swaps down the road will be easy and from the gunsmiths I've talked to that have worked on them, the action are very good from the factory. The 783's all have button rifled barrels, not hammer forged like the 700's and from what I hear, they shoot very well right out of the box.

Pretty decent walnut stock gives you a solid platform to work with, a detachable mag system that works well, and a button rifled barrel in a magnum sporter contour, all for right around $400 if you know where to shop. I don't think Remington makes the 783 Walnut model anymore but there is plenty of old new stock sitting around if you know where to look. Here's one for $380 and another for $405

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/rem-8586...rd-22-wal.html

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...d-p-77917.html
Old 09-13-2019, 07:19 AM
hhenrie
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.243ai you have to fire form the cases but great accuracy, bullet choice, easy to get brass, can hunt or target shoot.

Last edited by hhenrie; 09-15-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:37 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
For a relatively inexpensive gun that shoots very well and has a lot of features for not a lot of money, take a look at the Remington 783 Walnut in 6.5CM.

The 783 is a barrel nut type setup so barrel swaps down the road will be easy and from the gunsmiths I've talked to that have worked on them, the action are very good from the factory. The 783's all have button rifled barrels, not hammer forged like the 700's and from what I hear, they shoot very well right out of the box.

Pretty decent walnut stock gives you a solid platform to work with, a detachable mag system that works well, and a button rifled barrel in a magnum sporter contour, all for right around $400 if you know where to shop. I don't think Remington makes the 783 Walnut model anymore but there is plenty of old new stock sitting around if you know where to look. Here's one for $380 and another for $405

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/rem-8586...rd-22-wal.html

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...d-p-77917.html
Hey, great choice!!
I bought that gun: Rem 783 Walnut in 6.5CM, when I found it on sale for $350.
That was a steal, it is the best "economy" rifle I've found. Perfect checkering, beautiful heavy walnut stock, great trigger, smooth action, available magazines ($24). I love mine.
Too bad they discontinued it, but the varmint version is a good buy at about $500.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...el-783-varmint
Old 09-14-2019, 06:34 PM
kimberkook

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustem View Post
Iím currently looking at pawn shops and I have a lead on NIB old stock Tikka T3 ~$550 in 243.
At that price I can get a CZ 527 in several calibers or $100 more gets me into a 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Or even cheaper some of the Rem 700 in 6.5CM.

Any of which could be shot as is and built on in the future.
This will probably be my daughters first year hunting so all the more reason / justification (wife)to buy a few new rifles..
Still debating 6mm and 6.5mm

A trip to the range on Monday reminded me that 25 rounds of 180gr at ~2750fps in a light rifle isnít super fun.
Your reference to "fun" compels me to recollect and share here some of the most fun I've had with centerfires. I discovered early in the process how comfortable and accurate a 6mmBR Norma cartridge will be in just about any action. I've had one built for two Rem 700 BDLs (varmint and sporter) and Savage 112 old Varmint Special. The Rems were fantastic once I had the actions trued, glass/pillar bedded the actions and installed Jewell triggers. The express (and less expensive) route is the Savage. I had a custom barrel maker, Pac-Nor, make a varmint taper 6mmBR with 1-8" twist and it was incredible out to 300 yards. Later I just used stock Savages for other simpler projects. The action design is wonderful, so if I built a sporter I'd get a Bell and Carlson stock for a cheap Savage 110 or 112 and add an aftermarket barrel (if necessary). Savage triggers are decent and the Bell and Carlson stocks are true and rugged. Anyway, I had fun and if my story moves you, give it a try.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Dustem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkook View Post
Your reference to "fun" compels me to recollect and share here some of the most fun I've had with centerfires. I discovered early in the process how comfortable and accurate a 6mmBR Norma cartridge will be in just about any action. I've had one built for two Rem 700 BDLs (varmint and sporter) and Savage 112 old Varmint Special. The Rems were fantastic once I had the actions trued, glass/pillar bedded the actions and installed Jewell triggers. The express (and less expensive) route is the Savage. I had a custom barrel maker, Pac-Nor, make a varmint taper 6mmBR with 1-8" twist and it was incredible out to 300 yards. Later I just used stock Savages for other simpler projects. The action design is wonderful, so if I built a sporter I'd get a Bell and Carlson stock for a cheap Savage 110 or 112 and add an aftermarket barrel (if necessary). Savage triggers are decent and the Bell and Carlson stocks are true and rugged. Anyway, I had fun and if my story moves you, give it a try.
Hey you should post up some of your builds as an example. It sounds like a good route.

I have about decided what I am going to do. To get "exactly" what I am wanting my budget is getting pushed to around $2500, possibly more when you add in travel and shipping to use the gunsmith I trust.

That being said Cooper sells a gun for about $2600 with 1/2 MOA guarantee. I've seen several 22lr coopers that gave up nothing to my and other custom guns, as well as Annie 54's. Those were out of the box no bedding etc. Needless to say that is not a centerfire example but I know they produce a premium product.

I'll probably get into a 6mm caliber to shoot/ reload and pass on for my daughter to hunt with. I plan to save up for some nice optics like a NF, Mark 5, SWFA, Steiner, etc.. as well as a Cooper like the Raptor in 6CM or 6.5CM.

Overall this discussion has steered me into thinking more about my purchase, as I typically jump into things too quickly.

Any thoughts or advice continues to be welcome!
Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
I would rule out .243 WIN. In my experience with .243, which is mainly prairie dog shooting, I find the sweet spot to be between 300 and 500 yards. I think it's a great hunting round and I've had awesome results with it, but for LR, there are much better options. I know you said you reload, but there really isn't too much, if any, match-grade factory ammo for .243.
Don't tell John Whidden, he might stop winning national championships with it.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...ange-shooting/

I believe that's 800,900, and 1000y.

Last edited by dgeesaman; 09-15-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:29 PM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
Don't tell John Whidden, he might stop winning national championships with it.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...ange-shooting/

I believe that's 800,900, and 1000y.
OK, you're talking about a world class shooter that not only loads his own ammo to very precise specs, but makes the tooling to do it as well. If the OP considers himself in that class, then I guess it's still a good choice.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
6.5x55 swedish... perfect 👌