Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustem View Post
Those that have builds on bolt gun (repeater w/ box mag) actions let me know your thoughts.
I have full customs built on BAT, Kelbly, and Stiller actions. I have many semi customs built on blueprinted Rem 700's with a variety of custom barrels. Some have cost more than others and some are prettier than others, but they all shoot extremely well. In fact, the two best groups I've ever shot were with two different semi customs I have. I suppose if I was going to build a gun to go shoot competition, it would likely be on some kind of BAT action, but that's not my thing so what I have more than shoots good enough for me.

I like a lot of different actions, but when it comes to building something off of a factory action, I'll go Rem 700 every time. To me, the Rem 700 is like the small block chevy of the gun world and that's coming from a Ford guy. A Rem 700 is a Rem 700 and parts for a Rem 700 built on day one will fit on a Rem 700 built today. I've never heard of a gunsmith that couldn't or wouldn't build on one. No metric threads to worry about and aftermarket parts and pieces are endless.

The actions, like Savage, with a barrel nut are becoming more and more popular all the time. In fact, you can get a barrel nut setup for just about any action now, so if buying prechambered barrels and installing them yourself interests you, there is always that option too.

One thing is for certain, you won't lack for options or opinions.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:26 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
If by chance you consider 1000 yards to be long range, be aware that those cartridges are consistently losing to 6BR* and 6 Dasher in 1000y competition.

From a consumable point of view (your shoulder and your wallet buying bullets and powder), shooting too much gun is something you pay for over and over.

But they do require more wind adjustment and will not win on days when the winds are strong and shifty.

David
True, but OP isn't looking for a pure LR target rifle and 7mm is in my view a better big game hunting caliber, unless you are shooting something no larger than deer that are not far out, where it does not matter. I thought something in 7mm might be a good compromise for him.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 AM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alot of good advice given regarding 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm cartridges. Have you considered the 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC? Both are a step faster than the Creedmoor, and both will run in some short actions. Have you checked out Montana Rifle Co.? They sell actions if you want to go the custom route. Food for thought.

JMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Well, almost.

I really miss the 160 grain Hornady RNs and Sierra SMPs for the 6.5x55.

Did I ever really NEED that much more mass and sectional density? Well, no, but they were so danged COOL! They looked like you were loading scoring pencils from a bowling alley,.... but I supposed they don't even use those anymore either.
OK, they were like launching miniature fence posts!
It's funny to me that I saw a pic of that 6.5x55 with round-nose bullet probably 50 years ago and that image burned into my brain as what them uropeans shot moose with. To my eye, that is one uuuggly bullet!
Looks wise I love the big brass/small bullet combo, like my 220 Swift. That's the American way: more power more velocity yeah!
But looks have nothing to do with performance and I must add that I have nothing but absolute respect for our foreign brothers behind the trigger. They made the 6.5mm #1 a hundred years ago and we over here are finally catching on.

Edit: And BTW, have you read that the American military (and NATO) are finally adopting a 6.8mm bullet for their main battle rifle? 30cal for years, then 22cal for 50 years and finally settling in between.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 09-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:19 PM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am quite partial to the 6.5CM caliber as I shoot long range (1,000 yards) quite often and have had excellent results with it. I only own factory rifles and my personal favorite rifle is a Tikka T3x Varmint in 6.5CM. With Federal 140gr Sierra Match Kings, I have been able to shoot a 5-shot group of 0.331" at 100 yards and a 0.745" 5-shot group at 200 yards. I use it on prairie dog shoots in South Dakota annually and my longest rangefinder confirmed hit has been 721 yards in a 20 mph wind.

I think you asked about the CZ 557's. I have a recently purchased 557 American in .243 Win. It is a beautiful rifle and shoots sub-MOA but the action is not as smooth as the Tikka. I also have a Tikka T3x Hunter in .243 as well and that gun shoots just a tad better than the CZ, but they are very close. I would consider both of these to be mainly deer rifles as they are both sporter barrels and not really designed for longer, continued strings of fire.

The Savages also punch above their weight when it comes to performance and price. I've got a few Savages that were dirt cheap and shoot as well as rifles twice their price.

Good luck with your choice...

Last edited by HyFiveGuns; 09-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM
US Army Veteran

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
I would consider both of these to be mainly deer rifles as they are both sporter barrels and not really designed for longer, continued strings of fire.
That's a point worth reinforcing, methinks.

Lots of folks want to get a rifle for hunting and target shooting but compromises are just that and asking one rifle to do both means compromising on one end, the other, or both. Not talking about cartridge here but the platform -- the rifle.

If your deer hunting is sitting in an elevated stand or a blind maybe the compromise could work but where I live hunting involves a lot of walking and hill climbing. A rifle suited for long shot strings off a bench is wholly unsuited to that use. Conversely, the lightweight rifles I take hunting can't put more than three shots in a group before they start wandering away from POA unless there is a long break for cooling.

I'm just reading between the lines but my take is Dustem is looking for a target rifle. I say that because A) he writes "If I hunt it... (emphasis added) B) he already has a Tikka chambered for 30-06 Sprg -- that's more than enough for deer (I would suggest 165-168 grain bullets) and certainly adequate for elk (165 or 180 grain bullets) that he may hunt; 3) he talks about wanting to reach out to longer ranges than practical with his current battery.

Putting that all together I think the 6mm to 7mm suggestions will get him there but the recommendations for the sporter weight rifles may leave him wanting if I'm right.... he'll have to weigh in.

On the other hand, if he's just after a hunting rifle that doesn't throw as much recoil as his Tikka in 30-06 Sprg I think we get back to that old discussion about wanting something chambered for ammo you can get at the hardware store in Bugtussle after driving six hours before remembering you left your ammo at home and the more exotic cartridges being suggested may not pass the test.

Just thinking out loud, mind you, and Dustem will have to clear it up if he wants more focus than he is getting.

Quote:
The Savages also punch above their weight when it comes to performance and price. I've got a few Savages that were dirt cheap and shoot as well as rifles twice their price.
Amen!

Last edited by Sophia; 09-07-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Conversely, the lightweight rifles I take hunting can't put more than three shots in a group before they start wandering away from POA unless there is a long break for cooling.
This is a very important point! My first serious centerfire rifle was a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270. My experience had mostly been with .22 LR and when the fourth, fifth and sixth shots began walking all over the target, I thought "this thing is defective." Time for the embarrassed smiley:

My target barrels are all thick more-than-varmint contours. The extra metal absorbs more heat, allowing for longer strings of fire before needing to rest the barrel. Here's an extreme example of a R700 in .222:

I think that bbl is over an inch at the muzzle. But you can basically shoot 50 shots in a row without having to take a break.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Dustem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HyFiveGuns, Sophia and Flangster and all other company..

Yes I’m more leaning towards a target possibly PRS type rifle. I want a gun I can get out to 1k given the chance.

Correct the Tikka is my work horse hunting gun. Currently working up a hunting load I’d like to video that for my old YouTube channel.

Back to topic: I’m debating 6.5 and 6mm creedmoor, 243, 260 or 6mmBR.

I found a Masterpiece arms I could probably get for $1800 but that puts me in range of true custom build..
And that is similar price to a tikka tac.

I need to measure a few barrels I currently have but I’m thinking a varmint type heavy barrel in the .675” range if I build a gun. Probably close to the size of a CZ 527 varmint.

Anyone wish to chime in on those calibers for long range?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:59 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustem View Post
Back to topic: Iím debating 6.5 and 6mm creedmoor, 243, 260 or 6mmBR.

Anyone wish to chime in on those calibers for long range?
I'm running a 6BRA with good initial results. It pushes 105gr at 2950fps with less than 31 grains of powder. That's good for your wallet, shoulder, and barrels.

David
Old 09-07-2019, 10:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I am limited to 200 yards or so at my club, so take this with a grain of salt. But I have had a lot of fun with 6.5x55 Swedish (a CZ 550 FS) and .260 Remington (one of my Savage experiments). I have been given a set of 6mm BR dies, which will lead to purchase of a rifle sooner or later (that's how these things seem to go around here). Because of my limited distances, I tend to stay in the middle of the velocity range looking for accurate nodes above all.

Have you read the information available at AccurateShooter.com? They do a lot of good comparisons and have a wealth of information on the PRS cartridges. Their article on 6mmBR is here:

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/

Sounds like this is what you are doing, but I would actually choose your cartridge for your distance, and then choose your barrel and twist rate.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Jeff H
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
It's funny to me that I saw a pic of that 6.5x55 with round-nose bullet probably 50 years ago..........To my eye, that is one uuuggly bullet!
Now, that's funny.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:54 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
7mm08 would be better than 6.5 for big game. There are tons of cool choices between 22 and 30. I picked up a 243 after my buddy got a 6.5 just because the ammo is so much more available but it is a bit of an over bore barrel burner.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weatherby 6.5RPM....3,000+ fps
Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 AM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ok, I'm late to the conversation and I didn't read all the replies - just the more recent ones.

Whenever I hear a variation on the question "what's the best gun for me to start shooting 1000 yards" coupled with "I hunt with my 30-06" it tells me immediately we are dealing with a shooter that has no experience with centerfire target shooting and may not even know where the nearest 1000 yard range is located. And further, may not have the first inkling of how to handload or select ammo for precision.

Folks who do know their game at long range, or have experience, don't ask these kind of questions.

My advice is simple, and I will suggest three options:

1) Go buy the least expensive, decent .308 you can find. Maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor if that's what you want. Spend the rest of your money on decent glass. Go take a LR class.

2) Or, and this might be better - go take a class first. Many of the LR schools have loaner rifles. Point is, learn how to shoot LR first (it is not the same as punching a deer through the lungs from your blind)

3) Start visiting local LR matches. Volunteer. They always need volunteers to assist with scoring, admin, etc. Talk to the competitors and find out what they are using. Very often, good deals will be found on used gear.

Shooting LR can be expensive, and may test your patience, resolve, and attention to detail. If the bug really sinks its teeth into you, whatever gun you buy today (especially based on the advice in this thread) may not be the gun you need next season.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Dustem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT92 View Post
Ok, I'm late to the conversation and I didn't read all the replies - just the more recent ones.

Whenever I hear a variation on the question "what's the best gun for me to start shooting 1000 yards" coupled with "I hunt with my 30-06" it tells me immediately we are dealing with a shooter that has no experience with centerfire target shooting and may not even know where the nearest 1000 yard range is located. And further, may not have the first inkling of how to handload or select ammo for precision.

Folks who do know their game at long range, or have experience, don't ask these kind of questions.

My advice is simple, and I will suggest three options:

1) Go buy the least expensive, decent .308 you can find. Maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor if that's what you want. Spend the rest of your money on decent glass. Go take a LR class.

2) Or, and this might be better - go take a class first. Many of the LR schools have loaner rifles. Point is, learn how to shoot LR first (it is not the same as punching a deer through the lungs from your blind)

3) Start visiting local LR matches. Volunteer. They always need volunteers to assist with scoring, admin, etc. Talk to the competitors and find out what they are using. Very often, good deals will be found on used gear.

Shooting LR can be expensive, and may test your patience, resolve, and attention to detail. If the bug really sinks its teeth into you, whatever gun you buy today (especially based on the advice in this thread) may not be the gun you need next season.
Thank you for the advice.

Yes you have not read the thread that is clear. No sense in trying to explain the direction of this conversation, however, it is laid out if you choose to read it.

Despite that I do think you gave some good pointers. I know this directly from rimfire match experience.