Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:15 PM
Dustem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Gun and caliber suggestions

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions on a new rifle / caliber but I'm having trouble deciding, so I wanted to get some input.

Primarily focused on Bolt guns with a budget of ~$2k

I mostly shoot .223 and 30-06 so a type of an in-between caliber would be nice.

I'm debating a 6mm or 6.5mm (i.e., 243, 260, 6mm BR, 6mm CM, 6.5 CM, 6.5 Grendel, etc..)

My gunsmith suggested a 6mm BR and said he has seen 6.5 CM as a bit finicky in load development.

So far I have considered CZ, Tikka TAC and CTR, Masterpiece Arms PMR, HOWA, custom building off of a 700 action, Cooper, etc..

Have suggestions on that one gun / caliber combo that you would highly recommend??

Hopefully this will spark a good conversation as well.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2019, 11:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have owned .243s for about 50 years so they are some of my favorites. It all depends on what you want them for.

The 6.5 Creedmore has a great ballistic coefficient, but I would pick different calibers for hunting. A lot of the old calibers like the 270 with a tighter twist rate barrel and better ballistic coefficient bullets would be a good choice.

The first choice would be to answer the question of a long or short action rifle. It appears you have chosen the action type, so Control Round Feed isnít an issue.

You have a lot of good choices, but more info would be required to give better detailed choices.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm a go on grendel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 11:51 PM
Dustem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input! I’d like to keep it short action with a 308 size bolt face.
Possibly for hunting or long range shooting as my current options are somewhat limited in their range.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:57 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Target shooting? Long range? Hunting? Hunting what game?

CZ centerfire rifles are nice. Nice triggers. Built like tanks --> heavy.

Tikka centerfire rifles are nice. Nice triggers. Smooth actions. Light and handle well in the field.

I have no experience with modern Remingtons. I replaced all the factory triggers in my Remingtons with aftermarket triggers to make them satisfactory to my tastes. I have no experience with the other brands on your list.

My 6.5mm Tikka (6.5x55mm SE) is my favorite deer rifle. Wide selection of suitable bullets. Easy to load for. I thought about a 260 Rem (basically the same ballistics) but at the time couldn't find a decent rifle with that chambering when the Tikka basically fell into my lap.

My 243 Win (a Savage 16FCSS) sees more use, mainly because it is such a versatile cartridge for hunting with a huge selection of bullets suitable for everything from varmints to deer.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-05-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:24 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Depends on what you plan to do with it as far as caliber suggestions. Also, you can get one built by a good smith for under $2000. If it were me, I would have it built other than buying a factory gun. Big waste of money for a factory gun unless its going to be a deer rifle. Paper Punching... 6mm BR is the one to get. If its long range paper punching, then the .308. or the .338 Lapua Magnum. For 1000 yards anyway. A 100-800 yard long range varmint rig... 22-250.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:05 AM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Can I play , too ?

Go classic : 7 X 57 . Sure, you should use a long action , but , so what ?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:27 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you want something accurate, go 6mm because of all of the fantastic bullet options.

I'm partial to 6PPC and 6BR. Not hunting calibers but winning target calibers and excellent on varmints too. I think Tikka makes a 6BR.

6 and 6.5 Creedmoor are good calibers but they are "accurate" as far as factory produced ammunition goes. If you hand load (and all accuracy buffs should) then it's not the most accurate option.

David
Old 09-06-2019, 07:06 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
This'll spin yer noggin: Go for a cartridge family with the same size case head. And then get a Savage. Not the prettiest rifles out there, but pretty good shooting, and great for the money compared to a custom smithed rifle. The thing I like about their barrel nut design is that you can get barrels in different calibers and a set of headspace gauges, and swap the barrels yourself.

Here's the "What Fits" pdf from SavageShooters.com that shows the case head sizes for common cartridges.

http://www.savageshooters.com/PDF_Files/WhatFits.pdf

It shows, for instance, that the 6mm BR case head and the .260 Remington case head (and the 7x57) are the same 0.473 (that is, they take the same bolt face). Confirm that the action length works for the cartridge, swap the barrels, and you're good for single-shot shooting. Savage magazines are not hard to get in different calibers either.

Because of the swap-barrel system you don't need a smith to custom chamber a barrel. Just call Douglass, Shilen, Criterion etc. and order your barrel threaded and chambered. I have done this with rifles in .223/.222, 6.5x55 Swedish and .260 and so on.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:08 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have a nice budget, but don't overlook a budget friendly Savage. With most other brands you need a gun smith to build a custom rifle. With Savage and a few special tools, you can build one yourself. The barrel nut design allows you to change barrels rather easily, to switch calibers if you wanted. The bolt, with it's floating bolt head, also allows for easy changes to different sizes.
You could buy a Savage model 10 in 223, buy a prefit barrel, a bolt head and go/no go gauges for another short action caliber and switch between them.
Look up Vaughan Precision on YouTube. He has lots of videos. He builds very accurate Savage rifles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New caliber rifle

How about a CZ 527 in 7.62x39? That way, you get a 30 caliber bullet at a reasonable velocity with bearable felt recoil. I have one in .223 and would have suggested that but you said you already have .223 rifles and were looking for something different. Another good reason to go with the 7.62x39 is that plinking ammo can be found pretty inexpensively. If you want to focus more on the longer range target capability, then go with a 6.5.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustem View Post
Thanks for the input! I’d like to keep it short action with a 308 size bolt face.
Possibly for hunting or long range shooting as my current options are somewhat limited in their range.
If you want to shoot LR then get something that shoots bullets in .264, .284 or .308. I prefer 7mm (.284) for its high BC bullets in the 162-165-grain range. The guys shooting .308's tend to go with 195-gr. or 200-gr. bullets, and those are more recoil than I want to deal with. I'd recommend a rifle that weighs at least 9 lbs. before you put the scope base on it, unless you need it to be lighter for carrying.

There are lots of case options in .284, but I prefer the venerable old 7mm-08. If I was shooting elk or moose at 500 yds with it I'd prolly go 7mm Mag or similar, but if you are just shooting paper or steel there is no benefit to burning a lot of powder or getting the bullet there very quickly, and the 7mm-08 is perfectly adequate for killing 300-pound animals out to 400 yds, and it keeps you in the .308 bolt-face family.

I would get a 7mm-08 for long range and deer, and if you ever want to hunt larger animals, get a bigger rifle. Here is a 7-08 I just acquired. It was built in about 1995. I shot it for the first time yesterday and was it was immediately very accurate out to 600 yds. I'm sure it will do fine farther, I just ran out of ammo at 600 yds.

For really having fun at LR, I have a nearly identical rifle in .243 arriving next week. It will get a very heavy Krieger varmint barrel installed, chambered in 7-08. I already have the barrel and it is 31" long. It should come out at about 29" and be a dream to shoot.

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 09-06-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
SP sir nice looking rifle and good suggestion about the 7mm-08

I had a 7mm-06 that my younger brother just had to have so he has it now and it worked great for me.

Signalman
Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll agree with Sophia on a Tikka. They are fantastically accurate and well made. I would also mention Bergara which is less well known but is built to the same quality level and renown for their barrels. Your problem may become the hunting and long range shooting requirement for one rifle. I shoot long range withheavy barrel sporter stocked rifles, but you would not want to have to lug one around for miles on your shoulder. For the caliber, I like the tried and true .308 WIN for the range and variety of loads and bullets you can use both for hunting and long distance shooting. And if you don't like to reload, the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo is remarkably accurate in every .308 rifle I ever shot it out of. I load 125 gr to 190 gr. bullets for every type of hunting and shooting and never felt under gunned.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Jeff H
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I usually make it a point to read every post thoroughly before commenting, but this question requires objectivity and honesty not biased by reading others' suggestions.

I have been a fan of the 7x57 and 257 Roberts for many, many years. Both are excellent all-purpose cartridges; deer, varmint, target, just messing around. Both are easy to load for, have a good selection of bullets and are very versatile in the range of bullet weights available. They are inexpensive to load for, components are not hard to find, neither kicks the snot out of you in a light rifle. I've found both to be very accurate in the right rifle and they are both low-pressure pussy-cats - easy on brass and you - not hideously obnoxious in recoil or muzzle blast. Both are in the "non-magnum" class like so many "new" popular cartridges today, so their gentler nature should align with current shooting sensibilities easily.

Therefore, I would recommend the 6.5x55 SE.

For as long as I shot the other two (still shoot the 257), I wondered which of the two was the one I'd grab if I only had one free hand in some kind of Grapes of Wrath exodus situation. I'd asked myself that question a million times, until I discovered the 6.5x55 SE in the mid-eighties. As much as I truly believe that anyone with a '06, 27, 308, 7mm-08, etc. could get by comfortably in most hunting situations short of the biggest, most dangerous game, I personally think the 6.5x55 SE is THE single most perfectly balanced all-'round cartridge, with fewer "compromises" than all other "all-'round" cartridges.

As for the rifle, my personal choice would be one of the 98 Mauser variants, prejudiced most heavily toward the Husqvarna 51L. I had one once in 308W for many years. I bought it with the intention of building a 257 or 7x57 on the action. I could never make up my mind until I found the 6.5x55 SE. Still, it shot so well I didn't have the heart to take off the original barrel and I used a '09 Argentine I pulled out of a pile of crusty VZ24s instead.

I'm not much use on the rifle suggestion. I've been stuck on the Mausers for so long that I just won't give them up. There are a lot of other good designs out there, but others will have to help on that recommendation.