597 peened breach face and webbing on new jarvis barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hammered Breech Face

This has happened to one of my shootings buddies breech face, and none of us have a clue what caused it.

The bolt face is clean and smooth, and the ejector looks fine.
He's going to try and clean up the the bore entrance by using a peening tool because its scrapping the bullet
However we must figure out what caused this, and get that taken care of first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 09-03-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
This has happened to one of my shootings buddies breech face, and none of us have a clue what caused it.
ST, I'm not seeing the problem. The breechface on every semi-automatic rimfire I have with lots of rounds has an impact area where the bolt repeatedly hits. It's never caused a problem.

What does look a bit buggered up is the extractor cut-out. If the extractor is peening the barrel so the rounds are being shaved (as can happen with firing pin damage), that's a problem, but probably not hard to fix.

Maybe I've misinterpreted the photograph and am off base.

EDIT - Is it the trail of little dot like impacts below the slot that are the cause for concern?

Last edited by zukiphile; 09-03-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Tkdninja

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello this is my Remington 597 Jarvis Barrel. Breach and the webbing has been pinned dozens of times, not by the firing pin because that is at the 12 position. I also tried pounding brass rims into hardened steel but of course it did not budge. The bolt face also does not contact half of these peens. I will try to move this to the Remington 597 forum, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was just informed the this is a Remington 597 with a Jarvis barrel.
My buddy has just joined RFC and may move this to the Remington forum, although any input form the 10/22 community would still be helpful.

zukphile

Thank you for you input.
I still find that damage to be pretty extreme, but I do agree that the real issue is in the ejector channel.

I have a KIDD Supergrade (2014 model with the screwed in barrel) and there is zero markings on mine with over 11,000 rounds down the pipe.

Of course as we now know, the is a Remington 597, so kinda Apples To Oranges.

Smooth
Old 09-03-2019, 11:58 AM
Tkdninja

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 peened breach face and webbing on new jarvis barrel

Hello, I have no idea what is causing the peening 597 Jarvis Barrel in the wedding area. I now have to swage the chamber.
The rifle is bedded, volquartsen hammer and extractor, mcarbo trigger spring kit.
Action is as clean as can be, but it hangs up quite frequently which is what may be causing the damage. However I have hit the edges of a Rimfire 22 case into the steel with a hammer and the steel will not budge since the hardened steel is harder than the soft brass.
There are even peens where the bolt face does not contact the breach.
A friend posted a photo of my breach face a moment ago in the 10/22 Barrel section. I do not have the option to post a photo that I know of
Old 09-03-2019, 12:43 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
to me, it looks like the extractor groove has been cut too deep or at the wrong angle (don't have a 597, so don't know what the depth/angle is supposed to look like)
Old 09-03-2019, 12:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like the bolt is out of line with the breach causing the extractor to peen the face. I would disassemble the bolt assembly and see if the guide rods are straight or somehow got bent.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah, but I do.

Smooth
Old 09-03-2019, 02:24 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Arggggg
Old 09-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First time shooting with the new barrel? Are the guide rods a loose fit in the breech face?
I'm puzzled by the trail of peens downward from the extractor cut.

My original barrel peened breech face for comparison albeit at a more oblique angle.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1567539405
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040716.jpg (77.4 KB, 296 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your peening is typical of a firing pin impact. To my way of thinking the op's problem is with the bolt twisting or binding on the guide rods. It's also possible the barrel was not machined properly, but the op did mention that gun "hangs up frequently" which leads me to believe it is most likely a bolt problem. Time for bolt disassembly and analysis or at least checking the grub screws to see if they are properly torqued.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Tkdninja

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had this rifle parts so many times, there is nothing that can be in the way. The Remington 597 is on Twin tool steel guide rails and the bolt barely moves in any direction other than forward and back.
The bolt and breech meets evenly and the volquartsen extractor does not move much. Against there is nothing in the way. I can't post pictures on here because I'm still new to this site and I'm learning how to post pics.
Thank you everyone, especially smoothtrigger for helping me out on this, I'm new to posting on forums
Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Are you for sure and certain it didnt come that way and you did not notice until....?
Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Tkdninja

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Galdesguy, the bolt does not twist in any way whatsoever and the twin tool steel guide rods fit perfectly. I also do not have the guide rods torqued down, which can cause binding in the bolt.
Also it can no way be the firing pin because it's not in the right shape nor the right place.
Thank you for all of your feedback, one of these days with everyone's help I can get this solved to keep up in the usbr matches.
Thanks again for the pic Smooth, wondering if you can post the other pic with the bolt closed, you can still see the peens on the breech face and barrel extension.
Thanks again all!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, and welcome to RFC Tkdninja.
How did your rifle function with the Rem barrel?