Most desirable high standard?? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:09 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)

I never knew to shoot standard velocity ammo only thru a hi standard till i became a member here also you are not alone! There for I always have a large supply of CCI standard on hand.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10 X
Old 09-09-2019, 01:39 AM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, you guys talking about the ammo, what this about what can't be used in what? I also have only shot bulk stuff through mine as it's a 22LR after all. Is there warnings in the manual or is this per model? I have a few of them and I never ran them hard but did run them for couple hundred rds or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Baby Automag:

ONLY shoot Standard Velocity ammo (about 1050 FPS marked on the box) through the Supermatic series Hi Std guns (100-107, ML, and SH) or risk a frame crack.

There is a stress riser in the design of the Hi Std Supermatic frames. The beating from High or Hyper Vel ammo can eventually causes a fatigue fracture from the magazine well on the top right side down to the cutout for the slide latch on the right side of the frame. Every cartridge more powerful than Std Vel beats on the frame as the excess energy has to be absorbed by the gun frame. The type of fracture is a fatigue fracture which is a cumulative metal grain micro crack that may eventually connect and surfaces. The claim is only a new frame solves the crack. If other owners before you abused the gun with Hi Vel ammo then your next round, even Standard Velocity, may show you the crack.

To possibly assure a long life for the gun, the recoil spring needs regular replacement (every 10 to 15 thousands rounds) and never shoot anything but Standard Velocity ammo in the gun. It was sprung at the factory for that ammo and any ammo with more energy than Std Vel will abuse the gun and may cause a frame crack.This is not a wives tale but is documented here many times with pictures. While not a regular happening, it can happen to you if you abuse the gun with ammo other than Std Vel and fail to regularly replace the recoil spring with the OEM (5.5 pound) spring or the Wolf variable rate (6 pound) spring.

Do a search here on "frame crack" and you may get to see the damage done by such abuse using the wrong ammo in these guns and/or failure to regularly change the recoil spring.

LDBennett
Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for that info., I haven't shot it in many years but the two or three I have are really nice and I would hate to mess them up. I will look at the pics and such to learn where to check them, like I said I didn't shoot them much(not in 15+yrs now) but it's a crap shot with things like this. No manuals came with these to me from a family friend, does it state this in the manual or found to have issues later? I'll pick up some new springs now that you said that just to cover that base, I doubt 1k of rds have been through these ever!
Has anybody ever made a list of firearms that have these requirements? Just in case i have a few others in the same boat. I figure modern dated ones are ok, but these to me were modern, lol, go figure.
Thanks again
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Blowback operated guns, like most 22LR guns, have an equation that has to be met for energy if you want to protect the gun from abuse.

The equation is the cartridge recoil energy is balanced against the recoil spring, the energy to cock the hammer, the friction of the moving slide and the inertia of the slide. When the equation is balance the slide will gently kiss the slide stop in recoil. Add a more energetic cartridge and the frame has to absorb the excess energy.

To find the "right" ammo start with the lowest power 22LR ammo you can and see if it reliably locks the slide back on the last shot. The ammo that just reliably does that is the maximum energy ammo you want to use in that gun regardless that the instruction manual may say differently (as does the ones for Hi Std guns).

There are only two springs that require changes in a Hi Std: The recoil spring and the tiny little spring that drives the slide hold open latch. The first is changed because spring lives in a tight cavity in the slide and wears away it sides, reducing it spring force. A 10% reduction in that force is the point at which the spring NEEDS to be replaced. The tiny spring only needs replacement if it get smashed during the installation of the latch and the grips. The tiny spring get kinked or squashed if you are not extremely carful reinstalling the right grip panel. Buy a pack of 5 or 10 as they are easily damaged.

LDBennett
Old 09-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Granite3
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have a 107 Military model with the long fluted barrel, it is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned or shot.
It makes my S&W 41 and Hammerli jealous of the itty bitty groups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107.jpg (530.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Granite3; 09-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks LD,
I just never thought about how the design and lack of strength these had in them. Seen the pics and now understand it has that weak spot. Wouldn't have thought such a highly reguarded pistol was doomed from the start UNLESS it became a safe queen.
Hard to believe that many years go by without a major recall.
Seeing they were shot a lot at competition you would think it would have happened and your right the manual does state hi-speed but after seeing the frame issue i can't see doing what is in the manual.
Thanks again, hope I didn't mess it up already.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Jmcisc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jmcisc Send a message via MSN to Jmcisc
I honestly don't know what is the most desirable High Standard, but I do have some Hamden models. HD Military, M102 Supermatic Citation, and M103 Supermatic Citation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010632.jpg (490.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P1010635.jpg (360.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1010667.jpg (399.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 10:09 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsnyder51 View Post
What is the most desirable High Standard 22 Caliber pistol?
There is a High Standard section ya know.