Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:08 PM
smsnyder51

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Most desirable high standard??

What is the most desirable High Standard 22 Caliber pistol?
Old 09-02-2019, 05:48 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
There are far more experienced Hi-Standard shooters here than I am. But I was looking for The Victor, made in Hamden, CT or a Supermatic Citation from the same. Good advice here at RFC pointed me in the direction of East Hartford made pistols and saved me some serious coin. I like to shoot pistols, not collect them, so for me this RFC advice was good as gold. The pistol shoots very, very well too.

So "desirable" may mean different things to different folks. A pistol that makes me look like I can shoot accurately is, for me, the most desirable.

The collectors may give you different information, though.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:16 PM
mparker
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The top choices were Trophy, Citation, and Victor. I like the Victor and had four.

The one experienced bullseye shooters seek out are the custom made High Standards made by Jim Clark Sr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There were several choices of "High Standard" manufacturing sources: Hamden, East Hartford, Houston Texas.

Hamden guns are the originals that collectors love. These are the guns that made Hi Std famous for accuracy. The Supermatic series started in the 1950's, progressed through at least 10 versions over time. The star models were Trophy and Victor.

East Hartford was the site of Hi Std when they moved in an attempt to down size. Collectors don't like them but they shoot as well as Hamden guns, have a bit lesser shine, but are lower priced on the used market. The bargain from this factory site is the ML series in either the Trophy or Victor designs. They also sold a premier version, the 10-X, which is famous for its shooting ability.

Houston Texas was the official re-birth of Hi Std name in the 1980's. There was some stumbling initially but they eventually got them sorted out such that they shoot as well as Hamden guns. They too had their stars as the Trophy and Victor. The late ones were stainless steel frames and are the best of this bunch. Their super star is the re-birth of the 10-X model, a hand built gun of select parts. This model was also available from the last days of East Hartford Hi Std. They closed their doors in bankruptcy recently.

The former head of Houston Texas Hi Std now owns Interarms Texas and provides service and parts for the guns. That is Alan Aronstein. He is involved in an effort to provide the design in a different named gun. I don't know where he is at in that endeavor at this point in time but a inquiry to interarmstx.com could possibly get an update from Alan.

Finally there were two un-official clones of the Hi Std guns: Stoegers and Mitchell. A lawsuit removed them from the market place many years ago. I hear good and mostly bad about them and they loose their value quickly because they are just copies.

This is just a brief overview from my perspective. Others here might fill in more details.

LDBennett

Last edited by LDBennett; 09-05-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 AM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Regret selling my old Olympic High Standard!
Had a lot of malfunctions with it but still wish I'd kept it.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
In my area the Olympic is much harder to find than the Victor. I'm not sure if I have even seen a 10-X, is that built off the Victor chassis?
Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
I must say the most desirable hi standard for me would be the Hamden hi standard trophy with the deep glossy blue finish I saw one at the kansas city collector show in a show display at the end of july and I have been smitten by it. It is on my short list on the bucket list. Also a Hamden Victor with solid rib.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:57 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree on an early Hamden Trophy with the high polish. When I was in college some 55 years ago my buddy had just bought a new one. It was beautiful. I never got to shoot it but did handle it some. In later years his drug addled step son stole it and sold it. What a shame!

LDBennett
Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do have an early Hamden Trophy with the high polish and wood case. I did not want to call this the best and held back on posting. I will jump on the band wagon with a vote for favorite.

A gun I do not have and had my eye open for years is a very clean, good example, of a Hartford. I have seen everything else talked about here. And several beater grade Hartfords. Never a really nice one. I bet mint in box, that would be serious money. And a nice to have piece of HS history.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:53 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My favorite would be a 103-104 with a space barrel attached. With wood thumbrest grips.

Here's the wood grips

Here's the space barrel

Last edited by hamden; 09-05-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Can I play , too ?

Beauty is in the eye of the lucky sod who has a short barrel'd G-E !
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Here is a favorite of mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ML series trophy

Last edited by webfoot56; 09-05-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Brett Mc

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsnyder51 View Post
What is the most desirable High Standard 22 Caliber pistol?
Each to his own. My most desired High Standard would be a Slant Grip Victor! Pretty sure at least one other member on this board would agree.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:18 PM
OldDave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to vote for the Trophy with the high polish. I lucked into one at the Dallas gun show years ago. A kid had just traded it for a Ruger MKII. The kid didn't know what he had. The vendor had it less than 10 minutes and sold it to me. I don't think the vendor knew much about High Standards either.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For me it would be the Victor. I had a Citation that I bought new in around 1974 or so, but sorry to say I no longer own it. I had it for 25 years or so before I sold it. Back then I didn't understand the need to shoot standard velocity ammo and I had shot it a ton using high velocity bulk ammo. It still looked like new when I sold it and to my knowledge didn't have a cracked frame, but at the time I sold it I wasn't even aware of such a thing.