Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:03 PM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Shooting Chrony questions.

I was at a flea-market and found an old red Shooting Chrony for $5. I put a new 9v battery in it, and it works. This is older than current spec so I can't find much in the way of manuals etc. I believe it is an original - no buttons, no calculations, no saved strings etc, just a velocity reading if you put a bullet where the sensors can see it.

So every once in a while it throws an error instead of a velocity. These are 00:00, 01:25, 01:26 and lately 01:27.

I'm thinking 01:25 and 01:26 may be one or the other sensor saw a bullet but only one, not both. 01:27 -may- be a battery warning since I have the same battery in it since last year (which I'll be replacing today). I don't get 00:00 though - if neither sensor sees the bullet it should just keep the last reading.

Google is drawing a blank on this, though there are some articles that mention this model - anyone here know what the codes mean?

-Jim
Old 09-15-2019, 03:21 PM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well - the question is no longer important. There is now a hole where the 'y' in 'Chrony' used to be, and bits of LCD and circuit board are hanging out of the smashed plastic.

Turns out that when shooting over the top of the chrony at 60 yards, there are some brands of ammo that aren't accurate enough to guarantee missing by 3 inches

I got a lot of readings for $5.

-Jim
Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
At 60yds?
Supposed to use 'em up closer, I use mine at about 4' from the muzzle because that is what I have good bench at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc273 View Post
Well - the question is no longer important. There is now a hole where the 'y' in 'Chrony' used to be, and bits of LCD and circuit board are hanging out of the smashed plastic.

Turns out that when shooting over the top of the chrony at 60 yards, there are some brands of ammo that aren't accurate enough to guarantee missing by 3 inches

-Jim
Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc273 View Post

-Jim
Were you taking 60 yard readings to figure BC?

Using my Shooting Chrony has always been a pita. Bought a bluetooth enabled chronograph recently and it is so much easier to use. Competition Electronics ProChronoDLX.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.

Last edited by Szumi; 09-15-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 PM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok before everyone jumps on me I know it should be ~10 from muzzle, but I shoot from my porch and did not have a tripod. So, I originally set the chrony up close to the target and recorded a bunch of readings. I was continuing this with the plan to move it closer to muzzle for BC calculation. Got a tripod for $2 at a flea market last week, and had 4 more brands to record at distance before starting to measure MV.

This started with scoped rifles so it was pretty easy to put the bullet where expected, but then I got an old Winchester 69a with iron sights. Though this gun is accurate, different ammo needs the elevation adjusted differently. Again, it's pretty easy to put rounds where they need to be, just have to be a little more careful.

But today I messed up. I shot five sighting rounds - 4 were inside 2", one was 4" low and I decided it was a fluke. Second shot over the crony went -through- the chrony. Turns out the first 4 shots were the fluke. Almost every round after was very low. Adjusted one notch up and was right on... Guess I got too impatient.

-Jim
Old 09-15-2019, 06:17 PM
stringnut
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Contact Chrony. They used to have an exchange program. Don't ask me how I know lol.