How'dy.. I'm in need of a good classic revolver . double action. Opinions? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Well.. hummmm?
I still have my old Browning Buckmark..
Excellent shooter.
May just stick with what I have...

Aww, man. Where's the fun in that? Seriously, though. I do feel like a revolver has its own skill set that needs to be learned, and has taught me some good things about trigger control. True, you have multiple chambers and possible timing/fitment issues. But you also get rock-solid reliability, wider ammo selection (e.g. shorts, "quiets"), classic American brands, and so on.

Rest assured, RFC is here to help enable your educational impulses in this regard.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:56 AM
dogmansb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Well.. hummmm?
I still have my old Browning Buckmark..
Excellent shooter.
May just stick with what I have...
I have a Buckmark with a red dot, a Model 41 and a 617-6. I am generally more accurate with the first two than the 617 (usually shot double action), but I often get more pleasure out of shooting the revolver. It is just a different shooting experience. For me, it is not strictly about maximizing accuracy. But that might not be the same for you.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Finally found a K22 6" last year for a price I could justify and got out and shot it a few weeks ago to get the feel of it. With my big hands and the small factory grips that came with the K22, it wasn't a great fit, but still shot great and I was able to hit clay pigeons off hand at 50 yards about 50% of the time with relative ease. Search for target grips is ongoing as I'm a cheapskate and patient so I'll find them in due time.
Along with my Browning Challenger III, I'm about set for squirrels and honestly, I'm still not sure which is more accurate. Both have been a joy to shoot and have accounted for a few squirrels, jack rabbits, and various vermin when called upon.

Of course, if you have the budget a Colt Diamondback is hard to beat for quality, classy, accurate vermin elimination- but at a high price. I had a chance to shoot my buddy's Diamondback at the same range session as my K22's introduction and it was almost as smooth as my Smith, but had a completely different feel in my big hands. Accuracy was also amazing and equal to my Smith K22, but way out of my league price wise....

Shot an 18 quite some time ago and the accuracy was amazing. My brother inherited the one I shot from his FIL and won't sell, so I will have to be content to find my own or shoot his at range sessions occasionally....

Half the fun is in the search so good luck....

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 12:33 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buckweet, compared with my revolvers my buckmark camper is phenomenal. It will shoot about as good as I can hold. If I shoot a revolver, I'm happy if it will consistently make 1 inch groups at 25 yards. rc
Old 08-29-2019, 01:43 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well shucks guys..
Way back when I bought my Buckmark from my buddy.
We was shooting Clay's at 80 yards off his front porch.
Did pretty good. That's one reason I bought it.
But that was almost thirty years ago..
I can't see that good at all anymore. Sad
Old 08-29-2019, 07:33 PM
towndrunk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a S&W 617. There it is in the upper left corner of this pic. Bought it 19 years ago and it shoots better now than it ever has. I think it's just now getting broke in.

One of the nice things about it is that it shoots ammo other semi-autos don't like. I even have some old CCI Blazer ammo from the early 90's that refuses to fire in any gun but this one. It got wet 15 or 16 years ago and it just stopped firing -except in my 617 it hits every time.

Many critters have been felled by it. Yes, it is heavy with that long barrel, but the weight hasn't ever bothered me at all. The varmints never complained either.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
I came in late for the party,but my first thought was S&W.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:53 PM
sormi
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
S&W 4 inch 10 shot 617.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe View Post
I came in late for the party,but my first thought was S&W.
I thought would of said a brownie.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
I think the Ruger SP 101 would be a good gun, but there is a caveat. From the factory, the SP 101 triggers are just plain horrible. But for about ten bucks a Wolff spring kit will give you a really decent trigger. Same thing for the GP 100.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 PM
dromano
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try Charter

For a reasonably priced .22 revolver, take a look at Charter Arms. I've had one for 15 years. Never had a problem in any way.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:26 PM
GAJoeinMD
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why not single action?

I do love a double action except for squirrels. So I have to suggest to you to consider Ruger Single or perhaps Colt New Frontier or Frontier Scout. You can get them with mag cylinders too and they shoot great and are a lot of fun. Get 6-7.5 inch barrels.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:25 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Too bad ruger doesn't make a bisley single six hunter model. I love the looks of the hunter and I think it has better than average sights for a pistol plus you can mount a scope if you like. Only problem is the single six grip. Just isn't comfortable to me.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:48 AM
neangler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also had a hankering for a really nice .22 revolver. (I already had two pistols.) All I have is S&W, and thought I'd get the 617. I spent at least an hour in the store one day puzzling over the 617 and the Ruger GP100. Sadly, the Ruger product just seemed like a slightly better made firearm; the fit and finish seemed a tad nicer. But, as has been pointed out, it does have a heavy trigger. I also have to admit that "hankering" was just that: an impulse. I've used it only a couple of times, and never for more than maybe 20 or 30 rounds at a time. Throwing lead at a large pistol target isn't nearly as interesting as practicing precision bench rest or something similar.

Last edited by neangler; 08-30-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neangler View Post
I also had a hankering for a really nice .22 revolver. (I already had two pistols.) All I have is S&W, and thought I'd get the 617. I spent at least an hour in the store one day puzzling over the 617 and the Ruger GP100. Sadly, the Ruger product just seemed like a slightly better made firearm; the fit and finish seemed a tad nicer. But, as has been pointed out, it does have a heavy trigger. I also have to admit that "hankering" was just that: an impulse. I've used it only a couple of times, and never for more than maybe 20 or 30 rounds at a time. Throwing lead at a large pistol target isn't nearly as interesting as practicing precision bench rest or something similar.
I have both and despite the similarities (size, weight, external materials) think that they represent slightly different design philosophies. The GP100 is a testament to what you can accomplish with CNC machining. I am pretty sure that's how they keep the price where it is. Mine required a bit of work to get shooting in the same league as my 617. First up, out of the box it spat lead from the left side of the cylinder and back in my face. So it went back to Ruger for a fix. It was a very fast turnaround (there and back within a week), but I live pretty close to a service center. The second issue with the trigger, which was heavy and gritty out of the box. I took an afternoon, removed took the revolver down to its basic components, and carefully polished the trigger wear surfaces with an Arkansas stone. I tried lighter springs from Wolff, but got light strikes. My back-yard trigger job was otherwise a success and the revolver now shoots well. It i currently wearing an AT3 Tactical red dot rather than its rear adjustable sight. The GP100 crown needed a touch up too, as the blast pattern at the muzzle was not symmetrical, but I took care of that myself.

The 617 shot really well from day one. All I did to it was to replace the rear sight with a red dot to get the most accuracy I could out of the platform. The 617 cost more, but (perhaps luck of the draw), mine shot like it cost more too. BTW, I have a Ruger SP101 and a Single Six, and both had similar timing/trigger issues. The 617 balances differently too. For offhand shooting, I prefer the lack of an underlug on the GP100, but that's personal preference.

In summary, the GP100 seems to be priced to present a competitive alternative to the 617 -- in my case/experience/examples, the 617 was clearly superior in on-target performance and mechanical precision. Just one man's experience, but a data point for you if you are weighing those two choices.