Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 PM
briggleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 57/JC Higgins 44DL Issue

I have the JC Higgins version .22 cal. and experiencing a 20% FTF (Fail to Fire) rate with most standard and low velocity ammo and when it fires no issues with extraction. Higher velocity rounds fire almost every single time but with a FTE (Failure to Extract) of a 100%. Is this a headspace issue? The higher velocity shells seem to have a thicker rim base than the lower velocity shells.

If I apply pressure to the back of the bolt block when it mates up the the barrel face, it fires every single time with low velocity rounds (CCI quiets and standards).
Still thinking headspace...but I don't know how to fix this on this rifle.

Any Thoughts???

Brad
Old 08-31-2019, 09:53 AM
kBob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I keep hoping someone will make a suggestion for you. I have no ideas that do not involve so type of duct tape....

I do wonder how many guys have stopped by in the hopes you get an answer.

I believe the barrel on those rifles are pinned so not sure how you might solve a headspace issue by attempting to move the barrel.

You mention pressing the back of the bolt and that makes me wonder if the issue is in the linkage that opens and closes the bolt..

anyhow .good luck with the thing.

-kBob
Old 08-31-2019, 03:28 PM
Rifleman55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check the hammer spring and the firing pin, make sure that the slot for the firing pin is clean and the pin intact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Some ideas

Pretty much sounds like a classic headspace issue. The shoulder of the barrel that seats against the receiver will need a facing cut on a lathe and then repinned into the receiver in a different spot than the original pin location. One will likely have to face the chamber a bit if there is really a headspace difference but that will be easy one it is checked in the lathe. A soft touch with a chamber reamer might also clear up the ďhard extractionĒ issue as there is likely debris, pits, or erosion in the chamber.

Anyway, if you donít have anyone near you t do this work, I can do it as I messed with several levermatics and Iím familiar.
Iím an Ffl and can receive gunsmith work.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:56 PM
briggleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kBob View Post
I keep hoping someone will make a suggestion for you. I have no ideas that do not involve so type of duct tape....

I do wonder how many guys have stopped by in the hopes you get an answer.

I believe the barrel on those rifles are pinned so not sure how you might solve a headspace issue by attempting to move the barrel.

You mention pressing the back of the bolt and that makes me wonder if the issue is in the linkage that opens and closes the bolt..

anyhow .good luck with the thing.

-kBob
Your duct tape idea is not to far off from my initial attempts to solve the issue...I used Aluminum tape for duct work. I cut a small strip and slid it between the bolt block and frame and let the block lock up on the frame with the tape in between. It works, however the tape disintegrates very quickly. I then tried a wire mesh inserted the same way ( de-soldering wick) and that works also but as the wire degrades, it breaks off and falls into the internal assembly.

I have let the LGS have it twice to clean and try and fix the issue. All they did was a very very good cleaning the first time and replaced the firing pin the second time. No Joy

I had downloaded the write-up on the disassembly and cleaned everything myself. I did a little grinding (I can hear Lakeside Machine saying "OH NO") on one of the levers thinking it would allow the hammer to spring forward with more force.... No luck and better part of the story is that I did not seem to screw anything up!!!!

This rifle shoots so well with open sights I want it fixed. When it fires the squirrel dies. It is also so fun to shoot. Your hands never leaves the stock, just open and close your hand to fire.

So Lakeside Machine......, you may see a rifle. If you forgive my lame and novice attempts to fix the issue.

Last edited by briggleman; 09-02-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
When you are ready to send it, send me a PM and Iíll get you my info. If you do decide to send it out for the fix, do it waaaaay before January as Iím planning on letting the Ffl go. 23 years as an Ffl is a good enough run I figure.