Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:06 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PCP

I have had a springer 177 for years but am new to the PCP airgun biz. Just recently acquired a Benjamin Marauder 22 PCP with both the hand pump and the 4500psi 90ci fill tank. Just filled the tank at our local dive shop but have some storage safety questions:

1.) In hotter weather is it safe to store the tank or the fully charged rifle in a hot car? The interior temps in my car were 110F yesterday and I was not comfortable leaving the tank in there.

2.) Is it OK to long term store the PCP air rifle with a charge of air? or should it be bled off?

3.) I like to shoot in the mornings when it is cooler and calmer before work, but worry about leaving the tank or charged rifle in my hot car all day afterwards. Any issues doing that?

Irish
Old 09-13-2019, 10:33 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Interesting questions JG and as a general answer I would say inline, yes, yes, and no.

Factoids to back that up

A full 3000 PSI SCUBA tank filled at 70F will rise to 3500 PSI at 154F

The burst disc is designed to fail at 40%(+/-) over pressure = around 4200 PSI for a 3000 PSI tank.

The required 5 year hydrostatic test is performed at 167% of rated fill pressure, 5000 PSI for a 3000 PSI tank. The burst disc is also replaced at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_cylinder

Now Benjamin does suggest bleeding off the fill for storage but many don't including me and I've never heard of damage occurring because of it.

My advice is free and worth every penny

Frank
Old 09-13-2019, 11:08 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Interesting questions JG and as a general answer I would say inline, yes, yes, and no.

Factoids to back that up

A full 3000 PSI SCUBA tank filled at 70F will rise to 3500 PSI at 154F

The burst disc is designed to fail at 40%(+/-) over pressure = around 4200 PSI for a 3000 PSI tank.

The required 5 year hydrostatic test is performed at 167% of rated fill pressure, 5000 PSI for a 3000 PSI tank. The burst disc is also replaced at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_cylinder

Now Benjamin does suggest bleeding off the fill for storage but many don't including me and I've never heard of damage occurring because of it.

My advice is free and worth every penny

Frank
Thank You Sir! I know it gets much hotter in Tucson than it does here and there had to be some safety factor for this. The owner's manual seems to be silent on the matter. Bringing the tank into the office is OK but the rifle while strictly speaking is not classified as a weapon by either Federal or my state law, I don't want to even broach the subject of bringing one into a corporate office. The level of over sensitivity on that subject is too much to bear. Better to just not go there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 02:41 PM
mcoulter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
Pump (Arrgh), Compressor (mighty pricey), or Scuba tank.

I'm thinking the scuba (cost of the tank, inspected and fill-up) is less than a good pump, and a lot less strain on the ol' body.

An 80 cu ft with a DIN fitting should be good for 20-25 fills on the gun mounted one. That's a lot of stroking with a pump (Arrgh).

What's the opinion on the scuba tanks?

Thanks in advance!

Here's what I did:

First PCP = used a pump

Next step = bought a SCBA tank and had it filled at a local dive shop. (They could fill to about 4,000 psi)

Current = bought a used shoebox f10 compressor that I use to fill my tank

In my opinion, the carbon fiber tank and compressor were the best purchases I have made. Hands down. Zero regrets. I posted a wanted to buy message on an airgun specific forum (airgun nation) and had several great offers within 3 or 4 days.

The shoebox compressor IS slow and it DOES require a small oilless shop compressor to feed it but it's simple and reliable. If I did LOT of shooting a shoebox would not be a great option but it fits my needs ideally!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:23 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just recently got into PCP with a 22 cal M-rod. I bought a genuine yong heng for $235 on Ebay. It takes my M-rod from 2000 to 3000 psi in 30 seconds. Not portable but I do all my fills in a climate controlled environment and one fill is good for at least 40 shots.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:38 AM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Stupid question alert: If your PCP max fill is 3k psi and the aluminum SCUBA tank is filled to 3k psi how is that going to work?
works fine been doing it for two yrs ~~JMJ~~
Old 09-22-2019, 02:31 PM
IcySwan1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good advice from knowledgeable folks. I recently got into high end PCP rifle shooting and went through a similar process. I did not want to fiddle with a high pressure air compressor and wanted to go the carbon fiber tank route. I did my due diligence and found I could not find anybody that would fill a CF tank to 4500 PSI, which is needed when filling guns to 250-300 bar. The dive shops stop at 3000 PSI, the municipal FD would not do it all, and volunteer FDs depend on meeting the right guy at the right time. I bought a HPA compressor and am moving forward. Currently filling rifles direct but will get CF tank soon. Check out Joe Brancato at air tanks for sale for info. Good luck. This is an expensive adventure.

Mike
Old 09-23-2019, 03:31 AM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Stupid question alert: If your PCP max fill is 3k psi and the aluminum SCUBA tank is filled to 3k psi how is that going to work?
That's what my Buddy tried to tell me b/4 I bought my tank ~ think it has something more to do with volume than PSI 'cause i get many fills from my tank before it needs topped. never really counted .~~JMJ~~
Old 09-24-2019, 06:52 AM
fpgt72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbergman View Post
That's what my Buddy tried to tell me b/4 I bought my tank ~ think it has something more to do with volume than PSI 'cause i get many fills from my tank before it needs topped. never really counted .~~JMJ~~
YUP....many don't understand volume and its relation to pressure.

Look at the itty bitty tube on an airgun, then look at the scuba tank....a lesson in volume is there for you.

Check the dates on your tank.

Look at rental tanks, they usually have some time left on them, and are much cheaper.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:48 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should have made my post a little clearer. If your PCP is max 3k psi and you fill it to that pressure is what should have been posted.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:49 PM
cruzerbotz

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Got into PCP with a Gauntlet last year. Got the Benjamin hand pump also. Took a lot to pump it up, but the hand pump worked. Then, just got an AirForce Texan SS .457. It pumps to 3000 psi also. But, saw the hand pump wasn't going to be the solution, so got a Yong Heng compressor. Read up on the compressor, and they seem to work on the cheap. Hopefully, it will last for a year or two. I also just ordered a 100 ci carbon fiber tank so I can top it off. The Texan will get about three good shots before it needs to be topped off again.

Will use the Texan for deer hunting this year.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:34 PM
theriddler1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With something like the Texan, would it be ok to just keep the fill probe and line hooked up while you shoot? Of course you'd have to have a regulator inline somewhere so it doesn't overfill the tank of the gun. Seems like that would be the way to go for bench shooting and just use the tank on the gun for hunting. Seems like a pain to refill the gun tank every several shots.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:13 AM
LorenatBMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theriddler1977 View Post
With something like the Texan, would it be ok to just keep the fill probe and line hooked up while you shoot? Of course you'd have to have a regulator inline somewhere so it doesn't overfill the tank of the gun. Seems like that would be the way to go for bench shooting and just use the tank on the gun for hunting. Seems like a pain to refill the gun tank every several shots.
Yes, it is called being "tehtered" and very common for bench shooting and there are regulators available for that use.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When I was filling my three PCPs and my son's one, I bought an Omega Turbo Charger. It was an 80 mile round trip to a dive shop that would fill my carbon 4500 PSI tank.

It was very handy but I just didn't shoot the air rifle enough throughout the year. I now have only two PCPs and my son still has his. I have to admit, I never quite got comfortable filling the tank. I always felt like I was handling a bomb.

I sold the Turbo last week. The good news (for me) is that the buyer offered to pay me what I paid for the machine three years ago (it has only 4.6 hours on it). The fellow who bought it shoots a lot and fills for buddies as well.