For those that have PCP - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:26 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
For those that have PCP

Pump (Arrgh), Compressor (mighty pricey), or Scuba tank.

I'm thinking the scuba (cost of the tank, inspected and fill-up) is less than a good pump, and a lot less strain on the ol' body.

An 80 cu ft with a DIN fitting should be good for 20-25 fills on the gun mounted one. That's a lot of stroking with a pump (Arrgh).

What's the opinion on the scuba tanks?

Thanks in advance!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 08-23-2019, 01:40 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If you've got a dive shop or friendly fire department nearby then I say absolutely a tank is the way to go Cow.

If I didn't, I'd go compressor because hand pumping is just masochistic

Frank

Last edited by LtCrunch; 08-23-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Insert missing verb
Old 08-23-2019, 01:40 PM
LorenatBMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A SCBA carbon fiber tank will have a 4500psi fill pressure, vs the typical aluminum SCUBA 3000 psi fill. If you have a fill location and it is not to much trouble, a tank is easy solution.

A good fill calculator here

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
If you've got a dive shop or friendly fire department nearby then I say absolutely a tank is the way to go Cow.

If I didn't, I'd go compressor because hand pumping is just masochistic

Frank
We're a half hour away from three different dive shops, all of which do fill-ups (under 100 cu ft) for $8.00

I can deal with that!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 AM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I guess the pump vs tank question for me boils down to how do I want to get my exercise, pushing down on the pump, or pulling my wallet out two or three times a month. I'm not young, 66 in Nov, and it's still not an issue pumping up my PCPs 1) if I don't let them get too low each time. 2) IF I take it slow and easy. 3) I use proper technique. I bought the pump 10 years ago and it is still working perfectly, I just use scuba silicone gel lubricant on the surface of the outer compression tube about once a year..
Old 08-24-2019, 07:38 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've had several PCPs. Now I have just two, Steyr Hunter Scout Auto 5 and the LP pistol auto. Love em.

I started with an air arms and a scuba tank. The tank was a burden to fill because it was an 80-mile round trip to a dive shop in Lexington. It caused me to be too conservative with air. I think I had about 5 PCPs at that time. My son has one that I also filled.

So, I bought a Super Charger and carbon fiber tank. I love the tank, it lasts much longer but even more complicated to have filled. I have to leave it with the shop and pick up on subsequent trip or later that day.

So I bought the compressor (more than $2,000!). I have only used it three times since I bought it two years ago. I just don't shoot enough.

If I had it to do over, I'd keep the carbon tank and just get it filled.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:24 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stupid question alert: If your PCP max fill is 3k psi and the aluminum SCUBA tank is filled to 3k psi how is that going to work?
Old 08-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Ca_Varminter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have enough PCP's (Theoben Rapids) and modifying them..
So I have both a Compressor-Alkins W35 and Carbonfiber tanks.
There no good dive shops in my area for a good 4500psi fills....

Here is my Custom Titanium receiver Rapid..

My compressor and tank..

Stuart
Old 08-24-2019, 08:39 PM
SquirrelDown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just have a benjamin discovery that I just hunt with so I dont shoot much so for me I just use a hamd pump. I dont ever have to pump more than 25 to 30 times cause I just top it off after each squirrel hunt.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 11:17 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Stupid question alert: If your PCP max fill is 3k psi and the aluminum SCUBA tank is filled to 3k psi how is that going to work?
It doesn't work, if you need 3000 psi on more than about one fill.

The easiest way to go (for me) is SCBA. I have 14, 73 & 97 cu ft tanks that cost me $15 to fill all three. They last me a long time between fills. Many 1000s of shots.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:31 AM
rockdrill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
First off a 3000psi tank is 206 Bar, this would be considered a lower pressure tank and as such it will give less fills of a rifle.

I use 232 and 300 Bar tanks to fill my rifles.

The other thing to consider is the rifles working pressure, it might have a maximum fill pressure of 3000psi, but that does not mean it needs to be filled to that. Non regulated pre-charged rifles tend to work better at a lower fill pressure to give a flatter power curve. Regulated rifles also don't tend to need to be run at full pressure all the time.

With the SCUBA tank it also has a much greater air volume than your rifle reservoir, so you are only drawing some of the air at each fill hence why you will get multiple fills before the charging tank falls to too low a pressure to give a usable fill.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:04 AM
cmatera
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
1 low pressure gun-Hill pump if you are young and healthy

1 or 2 guns with 1 being high pressure-quality 4500 psi tank from HPA IF you have a place that fills to that pressure (or close to it) within 1/2 hour drive

2 or more high pressure guns and no good place to fill nearby, tanks AND compressor

Me?-I have 5 guns, a 72 cu/ft tank, a small guppy tank and a Bauer Jr II compressor.
The more guns you have, the more you can justify the other equipment.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 AM
theriddler1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like the OP, I too was kind of wondering the same question. I've decided a scuba tank is the way to go for us guys just starting off. I figured it was something i would get down the road anyways so why not get it right off the bat? Once i get a compressor (or find someone that does) then I can fill the tank myself.

Think I'll go with the biggest carbon fiber i can get too...this one filled would probably last me a year: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/air...able-air-tank/

Expensive hobby to get started in that's for sure, at least the pellets are cheap!
Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
An other option.
I have a aluminum dive tank that can be filled to 3000. I got it for cheap and had it retested.
When my rifle is low I fill first with it than switch to my smaller carbon (4500) tank to top it off.
This way you do not deplete your smaller (carbon) high pressure tank as fast and don't make as many trips to the dive shop.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:00 PM
theriddler1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a genius idea!