Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Biathlon-7-2-KO

Hi Folks!

I was lucky enough to snare a pretty little Biathlon-7-2-KO at an auction this evening ...

But that leads to questions ...

- How do you remove the bolt for cleaning? I found the manual at the EAA site, but for the life of me, I can't find the bolt removal procedure.

- How do you remove the action from the stock? I've removed the trigger guard screw and what appears to be the main action screw, but the action won't budge.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 PM
Garys4598
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is how I believe you remove the bolt assembly (I could be wrong):

1) You'll need to remove the scope from the rail.
2) Push in and hold forward the spring lever tab (I don't know what its true name is) that is located immediately to the rear of the bolt handle...
3) Lift up and remove (you may need a flat head screwdriver to get underneath it and get it started) the large round flat head pin located to the very rear top of the receiver.
4) The bolt assembly and handle should slide out to the rear.

I make no promises that it will be easy to slide it all back into place and reseat that large pin. It has been a very long time (years) since I did this to my Biathlon -7-2-KO.

Last edited by Garys4598; 08-22-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:17 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys4598 View Post
This is how I believe you remove the bolt assembly (I could be wrong):
I understand Thanks!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 11:20 PM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on scoring one! They are great rifles. Short version- Gary is right. Long version below.

Since the 7-2 is derived from the original Biathlon style receiver from the 7-4 & 7-3, the bolt retention pin comes out from above. Reason being that the Biathlon style globe/open sights are held in place by two thumb screws that can easily be loosened and slid off from the rail. Pop the bolt out of battery and depress the spring loaded retention lever at the back of the toggle assembly just as Gary mentioned. I use a wooden wedge (filed chopstick) to work it loose and it pops right out.

With a scope mounted, it is more involved to loosen the scope mounts. If you ever have any machine work done, as in thread the barrel for a suppressor (highly recommend ), just have your Smith cut a slot underneath to allow the pin to be inserted from below. Did it to mine and it really makes life easier.

As for removing the receiver- one screw for the trigger guard, two action screws and the whole action pops right out.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:04 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
[QUOTE=dbuffington;11583481]Hi Folks!

I was lucky enough to snare a pretty little Biathlon-7-2-KO at an auction this evening ...

Dave-- That appears to be an "older" specimen based on the "finger groove" cuts on the forearm and the higher comb on the buttstock. Very nice looking rifle! I like this stock much better than the later style, as the earlier stock seems a better fit for offhand shooting.

Others on RFC have detailed the bolt removal procedure for you, and it will slide right out once the large, vertical pin is removed. Congrats on your purchase. If you would care to share, what did you have to pay for it?
Old 08-23-2019, 08:22 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
Congrats on your purchase. If you would care to share, what did you have to pay for it?
Well, um, er ... $160, out the door.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:21 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobber View Post
As for removing the receiver- one screw for the trigger guard, two action screws and the whole action pops right out.
Doh, I'm an idiot ... the second action screw is under the trigger guard. I didn't look there.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 08-23-2019, 02:35 PM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
%%%%. I'm going to the wrong auctions.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:25 AM
FXTINTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
$160 out the door.......

I am very jealous, but happy for you at the same time.

The only auctions I have ever attended had a bunch of overpriced mediocre crap that people bid up to above high resale value.....
Old 08-24-2019, 05:52 AM
Gobber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! A buck sixty - you were in the right place at the right time. You are both the hero and villain here. I give you another hearty

Just have to ask, how many mags?

Any specific plans for it?
Old 08-24-2019, 08:47 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Gotta love it when you get a Great Deal! Nice rifle.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:54 PM
obx22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on a great deal and stock with nice figure 👍
I hunted around till I found a couple of Russian scopes to put on mine, having adjustable rings really helps with zeroing!
Shoot well, and give a range report!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
OMG What a deal. One of these days I'm going to find a deal like that, but not yet, not yet..... Geez, did it actually come with a magazine??
Old 08-25-2019, 06:57 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
Geez, did it actually come with a magazine??
Yup, a crude looking but perfectly functional magazine, more reliable that a few Annie magazines I've owned.

And today, it got a bit of semi-serious range time:

I have, however, run into a bit of a problem. If I tighten the rear action screw anything more than snug, a little tab pops up through a slot in the action, resisting and sometimes blocking the action of the bolt toggle.

Any idea what's going on there?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Gobber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice group! Guess you are liking your new acquisition at this point. Fifty yards, ragged hole, good shooting - very cool!

OK, bit of a read on the safety mechanism...

The little bar that pops up to block the bolt when the safety tab is pushed forward is actually a very cool feature, not a flaw

Part of the safety mechanism is to lever up a bar that blocks the bolt when the safety is engaged / pushed forward. This is actually a very good thing when you are banging about in the woods with the rifle slung. Keeps the bolt from being knocked out of battery, loosing a round and not being ready for a shot when needed. I really like the safety tab being just forward of the trigger, very intuitive to disengage just prior to a shot.

However, if the trigger adjustment has been lightened a lot, it actually presses against the safety mechanism / bar and can get a bit wonky. Takes a bit of tuning to get what you want. Bought mine used and the trigger was really light. Too light actually and there was some issue with the safety engagement if I remember correctly. A turn or so in on the trigger adjustment cleared it right up and has been solid ever since.

Mag - I initially thought the little plastic mags were elcheapo, but have now seen the elegance in their design. Made for wet conditions, they may seem junky, but are actually very robust. Mine has seen several hundred of rounds and showns no wear at all. They don't rust and only need cleaning every year of so. Rusky's know how to make things that last.

Congrats on your score!

Last edited by Gobber; 08-25-2019 at 09:49 PM.