about tuning - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
florida
Posts: 
7,570
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
about tuning



Log in to see fewer ads
about 10 years ago or so my friends at "we are Penn State" showed me some data on moisture and how it was increasing yearly. so for some time the thought was as moisture increased barrel time decreased. "think of water on a waxed floor", so the thought was to move the tuner inwards or outwards as needed. so testing going forward showed moving the tuner going in an out of phase was impractical to find true tune. to combat this I've always used bloops in 2 gram increments. recent data from Trevor now suggest that should be 1 gram increments. no matter the tuning method ALL are tuned to some form of positive compensation regardless of the goobly glock theories. so you either slow the nod down or increase. moisture in the air continues to increase, and once temps are above 60 degrees or so moisture plays a greater role in tuning. marty
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
3,879
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnest View Post
about 10 years ago or so my friends at "we are Penn State" showed me some data on moisture and how it was increasing yearly. so for some time the thought was as moisture increased barrel time decreased. "think of water on a waxed floor", so the thought was to move the tuner inwards or outwards as needed. so testing going forward showed moving the tuner going in an out of phase was impractical to find true tune. to combat this I've always used bloops in 2 gram increments. recent data from Trevor now suggest that should be 1 gram increments. no matter the tuning method ALL are tuned to some form of positive compensation regardless of the goobly glock theories. so you either slow the nod down or increase. moisture in the air continues to increase, and once temps are above 60 degrees or so moisture plays a greater role in tuning. marty
Hey Marty good to see you posting. I been using O-rings to add 1/2-1-gram to the tuner.
and been seeing it does make a difference.

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Turbosam
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
199
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zero guns have won with positive compensation as there tuning method ZERO! Until it wins a national or some big time match your tuning is just as you described gobly glock whatever the hell that is. Marty you may not like it or not Bill Calfee has built more winning guns than you have ever thought of. Show results or fade back into oblivion. No results means you dont have any. Keep playing with your lite tuners and keep winning those big time events, oh wait they havent won anything that's right. Lmao keep trying boys
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
3,879
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Lite tuners do work

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Turbosam
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
199
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh yeah? Go to the nationals or triple crown and win or indoor nationals and win
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
3,879
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
Oh yeah? Go to the nationals or triple crown and win or indoor nationals and win
Care to share what year(s) you won those

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Turbosam
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
199
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only nationals I've been to were indoors. Have you even attended a nationals? Do you know what the guys that go and shoot those win with? They sure arent winning big events with lite tuners and o rings lmao. If your theories were correct you wouldnt need to visit lapua to find ammo you could shoot anything off the shelf and be able to win with it. That's just not they way this game works and you know it. Like I said go and shoot with the big boys and see just how good you are. I'm sure it will be a humbling experience to say the least. The top guys know it's all about the ammo and not some hair brained compensation theory. It's fine if you want to do that and hey I'm just a no one that has competed against some of if not the best in this game. So keep on keeping on, prove to everyone how its works and how accomplished you are with it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
3,879
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
The only nationals I've been to were indoors. Have you even attended a nationals? Do you know what the guys that go and shoot those win with? They sure arent winning big events with lite tuners and o rings lmao. If your theories were correct you wouldnt need to visit lapua to find ammo you could shoot anything off the shelf and be able to win with it. That's just not they way this game works and you know it. Like I said go and shoot with the big boys and see just how good you are. I'm sure it will be a humbling experience to say the least. The top guys know it's all about the ammo and not some hair brained compensation theory. It's fine if you want to do that and hey I'm just a no one that has competed against some of if not the best in this game. So keep on keeping on, prove to everyone how its works and how accomplished you are with it.
Re-read my post I never said anything about positive compensation

FYI a RFC member first time with a lite tuner shot his first 2500 and won
He also shot the only 2500 in 8 years
at that club
They do work

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Shamokinbob

Join Date: 
Oct 2018
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I figure a paintball duel would be appropriate for this, I dont shoot nationals and dont care, what I do care about is good information to improve my game
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Turbosam
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
199
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good for him maybe he finally found the right ammo. Take your lite tuner to a big event and show everyone they're wrong especially the ones that win with all kinds of things on their barrels. Lite tuners arent new by any means and have been experimented with since they were started. Barrels and ammo is what this game is about. It's not only having a gun that is "tuned" but the entire package as hole. Getting the rifle tuned is the easy part getting the system to work all together is the hard part. I dont care how you tune your gun if it's not all working it doesnt matter how well its tuned you wont score well with worst edge scoring. Ammo ammo ammo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Thejet's Avatar
Thejet

Join Date: 
Jun 2013
Location: 
Australia
Posts: 
260
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why

Why do this ?

Lee has been giving good information that he has backed up with pictures of groups
There is more ways to skin a cat than drowning it in milk.
Lee has shared his experiences and really helped a lot of people
Why shoot him down like that?

At his suggestion I have tuned a rifle that has a very light tuner on it to shoot 250-22 dots outside in a competition which I thought certainly wasn't a bad thing.
There has been other rifles I simply can't get to shoot with a light set up but that would probably be my fault.

I have shot with the best from the USA the two times I have traveled to the Triple crown and those boys are so good, there is no doubt about that.
But they also are, and this is important is very helpful and kind people that are willing to share their knowledge to help you out.

Tony Purdy is another great bloke that has done the same as Lee and shared his experiences and knowledge and helped hundreds of people all over the world.

Marty even though I have no clue most of time what he is actually saying gives his advice from his experience which none of them "have" to do. I do wish that could understand what he is sharing but coming from Australia we seem to speak a different language sometimes.

If we shoot these blokes down then we lose the chance to experiment with what they are sharing and see if it works on our rifles as well
That would be to all of our detriment
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-23-2019, 09:50 PM
1911nut
US Army

Join Date: 
May 2004
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
1,011
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím puzzled why tuner threads always get sounding like junior high girls arguing.

I want the objective information, letís take the emotion out, itís about target guns.

If you guys shot as poorly as I do you would understand
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-23-2019, 11:27 PM
Shamokinbob

Join Date: 
Oct 2018
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I do shoot as bad as you, and I understand, come here buddy I'll comfort you
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-24-2019, 04:47 AM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2013
Location: 
Maine
Posts: 
551
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I've seen Lee's posted results with these lite tuners. Pretty darn stout imo. I don't need him to attend a large event 3000 miles from him. He's a stand up guy & its obviously working for him. I've also enjoyed his willingness to share.
We're all looking for a better mousetrap. And I believe there's many ways to get there. To each their own.

Keith
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
3,879
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Keith and Ben, Thank you for the kind words.

Sam, your challenge for me to prove what I am doing works is heavily favored for me to fail, and not because of my equipment.
why is it you think if it doesn't win at a National event it is useless, if this is truly what you believe, then you need to look at your equipment and setup, as you haven't won one either, does that make your setup wrong?

I said this before, if I swapped rifles and setups with any top 5 shooters in the country and they used my rifle and setup, odds are I would still not win, so if they beat me does that validate my rifle and equipment? and make theirs now wrong?

Lee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those barrel tuning screws - do they work for you? pump .22s Winchester 52 18 07-27-2018 05:19 PM
Neophyte question about bolt tuning ajw 10/22 Action 34 10-04-2017 08:32 PM
Opinions on tuning kseatm Rimfire Benchrest Shooting 66 06-23-2017 09:33 AM
2 speed tuning earnest Rimfire Benchrest Shooting 3 01-19-2017 11:02 AM
452 American Trigger Tuning Wildcat Junkie CZ / Brno 18 01-12-2017 03:53 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x