Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 PM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornady Nickle Plated BB Coyote

This took down a 130 lb mountain lion at 22 yds. Penetrated both shoulders and it went straight down.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:17 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I must be missing something. I haven't read anything political in this thread. OP asked what he would use for self defense of his home. This is a gun forum right?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:38 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
I must be missing something....
Yes, you are.

Quote:
I haven't read anything political in this thread.
That's how it's supposed to work. In this case it's because those things get deleted as soon as I find them. If you don't see them it's because you and others got here after the fact. That's almost as good as not having them posted in the first place.

What you do see is the reminder given to the individual who made the post and others to avoid the practice or risk deletion of the entire thread when deleting individual posts becomes burdensome.

Last edited by Sophia; 08-21-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 09:54 AM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Yes, you are.

That's how it's supposed to work. In this case it's because those things get deleted as soon as I find them. If you don't see them it's because you and others got here after the fact. That's only slightly better than not having them posted in the first place.

What you do see is the reminder given to the individual who made the post and others to avoid the practice or risk deletion of the entire thread when deleting individual posts becomes burdensome.
I forgot what goes on behind the curtain
Old 08-23-2019, 08:49 AM
shooter1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASCAR2 View Post
My agency issued 0 buck, twelve 30 caliber pellets. A little less penetration than 00 but a little more than # 4 Buck shot. We transitioned to low recoil Flight control Federal 00 Buck with 8 pellets. The velocity is lower which tends to reduce penetration in barriers.

My 870 has low recoil 8 shot 00 buck and a couple of 1 ounce slugs in the side saddle. I liked having a few number 6 shot for dispatching sick or injured animals in built up areas when I worked patrol.

If your at home late at night and hear a possible burglar. You go out at night with your shot gun with mounted tactical light and you find a masked unwanted intruder (Mr Raccoon) in the garage pilfering your cat food, #6 shot in the side saddle is very handy.
After a lot of years of testing shot gun shells in my Model 1100 I also have chosen Federal LE132, which is the low recoil 00 Buck with Flight Control. Out of my Model 1100, with a factory 18 1/2in barrel, it shoots a very tight pattern out to 15 yards with very low recoil. 4 in the shoot and 6 on the stock seem to be solid protection if needed for my situation.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Amarucci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
#4 with a turkey choke to pattern for close range and at distance, unless you're also talking outside "intruders" for which a Foster slug would be highly effective, using anything else indoors would be overly destructive and just might raise LEO eyebrows...
Old 08-23-2019, 10:52 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarucci View Post
#4 with a turkey choke to pattern for close range and at distance, unless you're also talking outside "intruders" for which a Foster slug would be highly effective, using anything else indoors would be overly destructive and just might raise LEO eyebrows...

When you shoot at someone at close range with a shotgun not loaded with salt most will think its use of deadly force IMO. "I used #4 shot officer but I didn't think it would kill him so dead!"
Old 08-23-2019, 10:59 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
There is no such thing as overkill when one thinks one's life is in jeopardy.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 AM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
There is no such thing as overkill when one thinks one's life is in jeopardy.
Yup! Thats why i'm using what I posted. This whole "over penetration" so use something less I don't go with. Use what works best.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When I was in my house the furthest I would have to shoot was 5 yards, in the apartment I actually have a 10 yard lane. I have no neighbors front or back 00 it is with a modified choke, in case it continues outside to have a tight choke.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:09 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
#4 Buck in a 20 ga for me
Old 08-25-2019, 01:13 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When people talk about penetration, just remember that GEL does not wear 1 to 3 layers of clothing, does not have a layer of skin, fat, muscle...
Also remember that anything you shoot at the predator inside your house will also go through walls and doors, so what or who is on the other side?
#4 or larger shot field loads will do the trick on humans, buckshot and slugs not necessary.
Also remember that the blast and pressure wave from a high powered shotgun round inside a house can be devastating to the shooter and the family: I knew of one person who shot a hi-power slug inside [in a hallway] and it blew out one eardrum and he suffered a detached retina. If it had been an emergency situation and another round was needed, he would not have been able to comply...
Old 08-25-2019, 01:26 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Indoors, what, to 20 ft.? #9. Less structural damage to the house. I already have enough projects around here!

If you run it through a pump gun and rack the thing, it is entirely possible there will no longer be anyone to shoot at.