What do I have - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
What do I have

There are no markings of any kind on the receiver except serial number mostly sanded away on bottom by forend. Doesn't look like it can be disassembled without removing some pins first. Friend says it doesn't fire so guessing the firing pin is broken. Sounds like the firing pin moves forward when the trigger is pulled. I don't want to start taking it apart and do something I can't undo. Thanks, Wayne

Edited to say that the safety sets itself on cocking.

Last edited by lion; 08-19-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added text
Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 PM
natman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's hard to say without some indication of scale, but the action resembles a Greener GP shotgun.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:25 PM
lion

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
It's hard to say without some indication of scale, but the action resembles a Greener GP shotgun.
I think you are probably right. I found take down instructions but haven't gotten up enough nerve to start yet. It is a little more involved than 12/15 or international tear down. Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 02:24 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
There are no markings of any kind on the receiver except serial number mostly sanded away on the bottom by forend. Doesn't look like it can be disassembled without removing some pins first. Friend says it doesn't fire so guessing the firing pin is broken. Sounds like the firing pin moves forward when the trigger is pulled. I don't want to start taking it apart and do something I can't undo. Thanks, Wayne

Edited to say that the safety sets itself on cocking.

What caliber? Does a fired cartridge fit in the chamber and will it leave a firing pin indent? Rimfire or Centerfire?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:17 PM
lion

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
22 hornet fits in the chamber. Firing pin protrusion is .060 inches. As near as I can measure the breech block is .015 inches shorter than the space it fits in. This would indicate excess headspace. I haven't fired it myself so I don't know if it indents the primer or not. Friend says he thought it was 22 K hornet but barrel is stamped 22 Hornet. I have it apart now but will reassemble and check for myself. Wayne
Old 08-19-2019, 03:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You can do a chamber cast with canning wax; just be sure to heat the barrel back end with a hair dryer to get it hot enough for a good wax fill-out. Not as good as Cerosafe (sp?) but good enough.
Btw, a number of imports were marked as to a cartridge that 'fit' That wasnt the right Brit cartridge, or a more common US spec reamer was run in. That doesnt make it right either. Under the forestock should be Brit markings that give the proof house cartridge designation. Cartridges of the World specs them out for you.
Example: a commonly done (wrongly!) was the the 310 Martini to 32-20. The 32-20 sometimes fit as was, sometimes just needed a smidge with the reamer. That made it Ok for someone to mark 'em 32-20. Problem was that the bullet dia. of the 32-20 was way small for the bore and 32-20 fired would rattle down-bore.
Do a chamber cast and slug the bore before trying to fire anything.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-19-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM
lion

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Well, I discovered what the problem is. The rifle has a 22 Hornet barrel and a 22 rimfire breech block. My friend is going to have to make a decision. Wayne
Old 08-19-2019, 05:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Iirc I have read accounts of changing the closing height of the breech block to adjust rf to cf. There is a wealth of info on the :
Britishmilitaria forum.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:48 PM
lion

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Iirc I have read accounts of changing the closing height of the breech block to adjust rf to cf. There is a wealth of info on the :
Britishmilitaria forum.
The thought crossed my mind but I decided no. I want the face of the breech block to remain parallel with the barrel face. Simplest would be to rebarrel for 22 rimfire. Wayne