Suggestions for .22LR Target Rifle - Page 9 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:41 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley View Post
I've already looked at that route, and it is against the law. It must be shipped to your local FFL Gun Dealer. You then have to spend the 10 day waiting. In other words, the trip to say, Arizona was a waste of time. California has pretty much tied off all the possible ways to circumvent the process of purchasing a firearm. I definitely do not want to spend five years in prison for violating California law. I will just wait until I get all my paperwork in order, and satisfy what California expects me to do to purchase the rifle want. No point in being impatient. I am glad that most of you do not have to put up with the rigmarole that residents of California and New York have to put up with.
Ah, I see that now based on a 2015 law I was unaware of. My apologies for suggesting an illegal act. Good Lord it's complicated where you're at!!

New California Law
As of January 1, 2015, a law in California supplants the federal law. It, too, prohibits California residents from buying guns out of state and simply driving home with them (or shipping them home). Now, the seller must ship to a licensed California dealer, who will treat the event like any in-state transaction, involving the waiting period, background check, and safety certificate. (Cal. Penal Code 26840, 27540, 27545, and 27585.)

The law took effect on January 1, 2015, and it specifically applies to guns that were purchased or obtained after January 1, 2015. This means that a California resident who obtained his gun before January 2015 (but who kept it out of state) would not need to ship the firearm into California per the new rules.

Licensed dealers, collectors, wholesalers, importers, manufacturers, military personnel and others are exempt from the rule. For example, someone who gains custody of a firearm as the result of being an executor or administrator of an estate, or someone who obtains the firearm through bequest or through intestate inheritance, would be exempt (as long as certain conditions are met).

Frank
Old 09-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Shenandoah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
For those of you who don't know or recognize Mr. Harper, let me have a minute of your time. If you are interested in learning about .22 rifles, and in particular about shooting them over long distances, you would do far worse than digging up and reading his past posts here at RFC. He does not post often, but each one has useful information. Mr. Harper is a seasoned individual (older than me, even,) but don't let that put you younger guys off. Always a gentleman, always.

AMEN
Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Crunch, Yes, that is why when I first started posting, I was way off on things. It's taken me this much time to dig through the internet to find out how things work in California, and I bet, that there are still odds and ends that will make your hair stand on end.

About the only people who don't have a problem getting guns in California are the criminals. All they do is go to a fence, known to have firearms, pay a hefty price, and they have what they want.

So you can see, all the myriad of laws here in California still doesn't do a thing to curb the flow of firearms to those who shouldn't have them. And that means the law abiding citizens have a bear of a time trying to fulfill their Constitutional right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 06:45 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Sorry you have to go through all that , Caley.

Seems to me if you have to get permission from the Government to exercise your rights, they aren't rights any more.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will Have to Wait to Purchase a Rifle

I went to my local DMV with all my documentation to see about obtaining a "Real ID". I was told that because I hadn't done a court ordered name change, the feds will not allow me to obtain it. They also said that because my birth certificate doesn't match my documentation, that also needs to be updated after I get the court ordered name change.

What is this going to cost me. Here in California, it costs $435 for the name change process. The State where I was born charges at least $25 for their services. And who knows what other fees are involved. I am figuring on around $500, which will include my obtaining my "Real ID", once I have the other obstacles taken care of.

Time frame for getting it all done is around six months. Right now I am not doing all this paperwork for the right to obtain a firearm. I am doing it because I have been told that if I do not have a "Real ID", I may be denied entrance to the Marine Base where I get my medical care, and use the Commissary and Exchange. I served 24 years, and I just cannot believe I might be denied access to my benefits because of the way the law is written right not when it comes to identification. I will need to research this problem more online to see if what I was told, is indeed, true.

And the Saga continues.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:40 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Real ID--go to your YUOTUBE and enter that and view a couple of the enteries..

I also had to do a name change to get my license. the young lady @ the MDV was so happy to tell me how safe Id now be.. I asked how about all the thousands being given licenses who we have no idea who they are.

This requiring legsislation was added to some must pass legislation back in 2005!! 15 yrs ago.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not to get so personal, but why are you changing your name?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not changing my name. I changed my name nearly 20 years ago, but did it under common law, which is allowed in California. I did it to get away from a very bad relationship, leaving no trail to follow.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Ett2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I know you've already pretty much made up your mind on the CZ 457, and I think that would be an excellent choice. The only problem you may have is you could possibly get one that doesn't shoot as well as you need it to. I would say you have a better chance of getting a good one than a bad one. But for that reason you may want to check out the KSA 722 Varmint. It's well within your price range and has a 1/2" @ 50 yds gaurantee. No one else offers that kind of accuracy gaurantee for that little $. I have been doing a lot of research on them because I am buying one and they seem to get excellent reviews. I'm not trying to change your mind, just giving you another option to look at that seems to check all your boxes and fit in your price range.
Those KSA 722 will shoot as good of not better than my cz's.. now ifya wanna do aftermarket accessories then CZ is the way to go. But there's nothing wrong with keystone. And it's made right here in the USA.. my neck of the woods Pennsylvania!
Just something to consider.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:45 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1/2 hr ride from my house
Old 09-25-2019, 08:58 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Not to get so personal, but why are you changing your name?
I was given my fathers name when born but when I went to school I was reg by my middle name. I guess my parents didnt want to cal me jr, bud, shorty etc so I was called by middle name. Sent all thru 12 grads, college, Army, reg for draft, SS, Army commssion, 39 yrs work and retired by middle name. Along comes "Real ID" and birth cert request and Im busted.

I figured it would happen when I applied for SS payments but no problem. Rec SS for 18 yrs before real ID came along.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hanging Up the Quest or a Powder Burner Rifle - For Now

With all the difficulties I have been having, trying to obtain a "Real ID", so I can purchase a powder burner, I finally have to temporarily give up my quest.

The cost of the court ordered name change is nearly prohibitive, but I will just have to pursue that in order to ensure I can use my military benefits without hindrance.
I will also need it for travel, and passport, if for some reason I ever decide to fly or go out of country.

And on top of all, since my current name doesn't match my birth certificate, I have to hassle with my birth state, and pay whatever fees they charge.

Anyway, I will just be happy with an air rifle. I can learn on that out to 50 yards. I'm pretty much hitting the black nearly every time on 10 meter air rifle targets when placed at 25 yards. May have to lob the pellets in when it comes to 50 yards.

Maybe try again at the end of 2020, or beginning of 2021, if I am still kickin'