Suggestions for .22LR Target Rifle - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:31 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

Maybe it's just me but if I set out to shoot targets I would buy a TARGET RIFLE. Under $500 the H&R 12, the Kimber Gvmt., or an Anshutz 10.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cannot Afford High Priced Target Shooting Rifles

Above said, and the fact that I may not stick with this pastime, sends me back to my target prices of around $500, and the suggested rifle scope that is within my $250.

A lot of you have been in the hobby for most of your life. I grew up as a Marine brat, but my Father was not the type to take his kids out and show them anything like rifle shooting or fishing or anything sports related. He just sat down and read a lot. Not knocking reading. I do a ton of it. But my Dad just never wanted to bond with his kids.

So I entered the Air Force at age 18, and made a career of it for 24 years. During my basic training I failed my first rifle test. I shot an abysmal 35 out of 50, if I remember correctly. They marched me out the next day, and said I would be booted out if I didn't qualify, and sent to the Army. Not sure that was legal back in 1968. Anyway the kid next to me, who happened to be from the Louisiana Bayou, and wore bottle bottom glasses, told me that I would not make the qualifying. He said I was short a round, so he proceeded to place one shot dead center of my target. I qualified because of him, 40 out of 50. He and I were friends throughout basic training and technical school from that point on.

So you can see I was not at all good with a rifle. Towards my later years in the Air Force, I improved to the point where I finally got my small arms marksmanship ribbon.

Now, nearly 30 years later I do wish to pursue target shooting, but I do not want to spend the money you gentlemen put in your weapons. This is what I mentioned earlier, one of my bucket list things to do, but was something I never pursued before due to just not having time, or the money.

But my money is limited. I tend to do a lot of helping others, and that eats a lot of my money, until the past few months. So I will stick with my limited budget, and get the nicest I can manage. Hopefully it will be something that is designed for target shooting primarily, although it will be a very low end model based on some comments.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Most shooters at clubs with matches are free with info and advice and most have more guns than they can shoot. If you hang out, are sincere, and make friends my guess is somebody there might loan you one of their lonely rifles to play with a bit to find out if this idea suits you. You might even consider asking if you can volunteer for helping out at the matches with whatever skills/abilities you have. You will learn a lot that way with no pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 12:34 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If you are so inclined, gcrank1's idea is spot on. You may wander into the purchase of equipment that would have been budget busting if it were new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley View Post
Above said, and the fact that I may not stick with this pastime, sends me back to my target prices of around $500, and the suggested rifle scope that is within my $250.
Caley, $750 is a lot of money. It's less than you would need to win an Olympic event, but more than enough to enjoy yourself and get better.

I've had really good luck with CZ bolt action rifles. After finding the ammunition each likes, they can shoot decent groups from off a bag and are accurate enough that if you miss a target shooting offhand you will know the weak link is you rather than the rifle.

They are also nice rifles in terms of how they look and feel, with decent triggers straight out of the box.

I've shot a friend's Savage bolt action that was sufficiently accurate, but the cheap feeling plastic stock kept me from having any affection for it.

If you are budgeting $250 for a scope, you are already beyond my limits.

Quote:
So you can see I was not at all good with a rifle.
I don't do this because I'm any good at it; I do it because I enjoy it.

Best of luck.

Last edited by zukiphile; 08-20-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I don't do this because I'm any good at it; I do it because I enjoy it.

Best of luck.
Bears repeating.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:20 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know the feeling of trying to make the right purchase. I won't tell you what to get as have many others, what works for them may not work for you. What I will say is follow the advice of some of those that have mentioned to go to a range and observe, Talk to those shooting and then try to find someone who will let you shoot several rounds. You will find out more than reading all of these posts.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To the Range

I will be going this Friday with my Avanti Pellet Rifle to continue to zero in my scope. I will be still using the 25 yard target line. But, if I get pretty accurate there, I will move out to 50 yards. I believe this pellet rifle can shoot fairly well at that distance. My problem will be that my scope is only 9X, so the target is going to be a lot smaller, and the center harder to see.

I will definitely talk to those around me about what might be a good rifle, for paper target practice. Hopefully a few people will have 22lr's with them, so I can observe, and ask questions.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If all you want is to have some fun on the cheap, buy a Savage Rascal. Itís akidds gun but a great shooter, single shot, so no magazine, put abipod on it and a good scope and a rear bag. Iíve had one or two of these little guns, and they shoot great. On sale at Xmas $100. Have to buy the rail , $15 . Great trigger.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:04 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Caley, I have many .22 rifles in most shapes & sizes and I shoot them all at targets - paper & steel - mostly. But that doesn't mean that they're all "target" rifles, per se. If you want a real rimfire target rifle, then I suggest that you start with either a Remington 513 or a Winchester 75 in .22lr. Both of these rifles were purpose-built for training in the military or budding young target shooters. You'll want to start out with the steel aperture sights that were designed for these long-barreled and heavy-stocked rifles. Personally, I wouldn't even mess with a scope but just make sure that I have good aperture sights - Redfield, Winchester, Lyman; a selection of front apertures; inexpensive spotting scope; and, some good 'ol CCI standard velocity ammo. Although I now have many scoped rifles, I think it's a good idea to learn how to shoot well with aperture & open steel sights before getting into the scope game! Nothing in shooting is quite so much fun, to me, as shooting 5 rounds into almost the same hole at 50 yards with aperture or open sights. Also, if you want to learn position shooting, don't forget CMP rimfire!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I also now shoot a 'late'early model RWS 45.177 and a Weihrauch HW97K.22 (very recent) both with AO optics, and have an out to 50yd. range out back. I had a Daisy 853, tricked out, way back in the first couple of years when they came out. Imo 25yd. is a stretch with that pellet rifle (and many others). The group size will increase exponentially at 50yd. and be disappointing. My take on the accuracy/group size is that what a decent grouping rifle and pellet combination will do at 25yd. a decent sporting 22LR will do at 50. Of course, that 'take' is what Ive seen with me doing the shooting here for over 30yrs. Air rifles are pellet sensitive and wind is Waayyy Huge so distance hits gets iffy.
Sadly, my 853 is long gone, I should have kept that very user friendly rifle.....especially for the little money I got out of it. I traded for a marvelous RWS 77 T01 that is also now gone. Spring piston air rifles are harder to shoot well than pump pneumatics or pcp.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CMP Rimfire

gcrank1, I won't be shooting in CMP compeition. I do not plan on anything but shooting on a bench with my rifle on a prop up bag, or possibly shooting in the prone position. I am not steady enough while standing, and standing tends to aggravate my false pain in the legs. Kneeling also causes me pain, but in the knees.

I think the competition that our local public shooting range puts on once a month will be fine, if I ever decide to graduate to competition. I tend to not be competitive, other than against my own previous records. When I was able to run road races, I never ever competed against others, only my previous times. Occasionally I would slip in for an age group award, but that was very rare

Since I am six foot two inches tall, I need a rifle that is large enough so it fits my body fairly well, without having to spend lots of money to get it modified. That's one reason I listed two rifles previously that had both stock extensions, and cheek rests. I think those two things are probably the only reason I would spend a few hundred dollars over the $500 budget. That way I don't have to spend money retrofitting those items. Probably save money.

I'm pretty much set on getting a CZ 457 Varmint AT-ONE. It looks nice, and seems big enough to fit me, as well as having the two previously mentioned items. I('m hoping that either my local gun shop or the Marine Base Exchange special order department can get one for me.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Decisions, Decisions

Caley, there are certainly lots of choices to make. Budget drives everything, but I would not let saving $100 or $200 determine which gun you buy. You are doing the right thing asking for advice and opinions. While you can certainly look for a "used" target rifle as some have suggested, it seems you are looking to assemble a "new" rifle/scope combo that will serve you well. CZs are made in Czechoslovakia and if you know about history, the Germans wanted their arms making industry before WWII. Even Browning 22s are made in Japan these days. While I do think we should all strive to buy American when practical, you'd be very hard pressed to find a U.S. made rifle for $500 that shot as well as the CZs do. The Weaver V16 scope is a cult classic among rimfire community members. Since I prefer a smaller (and cheaper) scope for hunting, I tend to like 9x to 12 power scopes with fixed objectives for most of my rifles. I do have some older Phillipine made Simmons scopes and I like them. The ATV model was the rage here for awhile. If you want to skimp a little until you get more serious, the optic is the place to do it. The Weaver will have better tracking which refers to repeatable click settings for matches but a Simmons can get you started for under $100 if you shop around and put you in the competition. The simmons white tail and 44 mag are also very decent entry level scopes made in the phillipines. The current Chinese made simmons scopes are junk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simmons-Atv...IAAOSwUshdWFjy

I also like the Nikon scopes as a budget optic.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Pro-S...IAAOSwsAJdVwVb
I believe these come out of the phillipines too.

You will want to read up on the difference between "adjustable objective" where you can twist the objective bell to adjust focus or the 'side focus" scopes that have a knob you turn to adjust parallax distance. Maybe others here can school us both on the pros and cons of these. I want to try a side focus some day. Flip up buttler creek scope caps and adjustable objectives don't play well together.

For weaver style mounts I like the weaver 4x4 series rings. They have 8 locking screws and 4 straps. For CZ rifles there are many choices but the factory Steel rings are about as good as it gets. They run about $50 but fit perfectly on the CZ dovetail. I've also had decent luck with the Bsquare airgun/rimfire rings but fit isn't perfect on a CZ.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
I'm pretty much set on getting a CZ 457 Varmint AT-ONE.
I think that's a great choice, but I am partial to CZs.

If you can, find an opportunity to shoot someone else's CZ before you buy. My experience is with 452s. As much as I like them, their bolts can be tight and take a bit of effort compared to other rimfire bolt actions.

When I was younger, I was fairly quick with my Marlin Biathlon (a big bolt handle and an easy action), but I never got very quick with the CZs.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Maybe it's just me but if I set out to shoot targets I would buy a TARGET RIFLE. Under $500 the H&R 12, the Kimber Gvmt., or an Anshutz 10.
Good choices for a reasonable price.

Besides, the Kimber and H&R were military match rifles which may have some nostalgia for the OP.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:

I'm pretty much set on getting a CZ 457 Varmint AT-ONE. It looks nice, and seems big enough to fit me, as well as having the two previously mentioned items. I('m hoping that either my local gun shop or the Marine Base Exchange special order department can get one for me.
Real good choice, Caley, price them out at both places, you will , of course, save some money at the MCX for lack of sales tax. A nice set of BKL brand rings and a good adjustable scope and you're ready to rock. There are several online sellers of optical stuff, Optics Planet being one, where you can get a vastly better price than at your local gunshop.

One thing that has not been brought up, there may come a time when you want to sell your rifle in order to buy another, or for some other reason. Resale value on the CZ's is very good if they have been cared for properly.

Last edited by jnyork; 08-20-2019 at 05:05 PM.