Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Caley, not to divert the coversation but I also have terrible restless leg problems from years of chemo. I have stopped taking my pain medicine so it combines with very bad back muscle pain. One of my army buddies advised me to take 2 Tylenol PM or the Walmart brand is the same an 1 1/2 to 2 hours before bed. Now I can sleep 3-4 hours at a time. It is non habit forming. I have quit using the other things I used for restless leg as well. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger

Jammer22 Is this a good choice for target practice and maybe eventually competition?

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022C...ets/31127.html
Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RLS

GRG, You're not diverting anything. I only mentioned it because of what seems like my being online forever. Yes, I've tried Tylenol, but it doesn't seem to do much. The doctors have me on Mirapex for the RLS, and Neurontin 100 for the terrible leg pains I get. Sometimes the medications just don't seem to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 10:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Your quest may not be much different from where I have been at for a number of years; I am blessed to live in a shooting friendly state and area, live in the country and have an out to 50yd range behind the house. I can shoot junk steel of various sizes and paper, offhand to (light duty) bench. I am 66 and used to shoot some competitions, now they are few and 'friendly matches' among the scrum of scoundrels that accepted me in long ago.
I try (try is the primary operative term) to keep 'em under a dime. If I have a 5 shot group doing so I'll try to make it a 10. Some daz its a nickel.....when its bad its a quarter! Steel is more forgiving and there is satisfaction knocking down/swinging some steel when groups wont come together. This is has to be fun for me now, otherwise why bother. My shooting time is mostly against myself and for my own edification. A big plus it that the discipline makes me get out of the inside of my own head/pains/problems and attend to the business at hand. I find it to be good therapy.
I have a project 10-22 that I now have as much in as a low-end CZ. And it doesnt shoot as well; it is my 'fun gun'. I dont demand to much and it complies. I also have real target guns, one would do, but somehow they multiplied. A fun gun and one, good 'target' gun (ie, suitable for what YOU want to shoot) would be fine, maybe I will get there......
Your first choice of a rifle may well not be your last, and it may become your fun gun when you 'upgrade'. Good glass is transferable. I urge you to buy more power than you think you need, AO and target turrets for sure and certain. 22s are not hard on scopes and even some less expensive ones are generally surprisingly good compared to what I grew up with. The Trading Post here can get you some good buys.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Yes thatís a cz 455 varmint in an evo stock.it will work perfectly for your stated needs. The stock is popular with the run and gun crowd, cause itís lighter but it will take a bipod . Not going to work on a bag or a front rest, as the forearm is too short. And any options of using pressure pads to deresonate/ tune the barrel are gone. But a bipod is a good choice for casual target punching. I donít like pistol grips on a bench gun cause I shoot pistols and muscle memory takes over and I squeeze the grip too hard , bad for accuracy. But thatís me.

Again , I push the Mueller 8x32 scope, under $200 and perfect for casual paper punching
Caley, This is the best on specific hardware given in this thread.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Run and Gun Crowd

Red Horse, I'm definitely not a run and gun person. I used to run marathons; I was a running fanatic, but old age has caught up, and I am now a walk slowly to part of the crowd.

I understand what you are saying about the Evolution rifle stock. It's too short, and there is nothing to rest the barrel on. I looked at this one
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-at-one/
which is not quite so radical. It has two features I do really like, the cheek rest, and the extendable stock. I had to extend my stock on my Daisy Avanti 753 (not 853) 3/8 of an inch so I didn't have to scrunch up to seat it against my shoulder.

Right now I have placed this and your scope suggestion on my book mark bar, along with others I have looked at and liked.

Hopefully I will settle on one scope and rifle for my first setup, and that will make me happy for a long time. It sure does look like I will have to spend at least a few hundred more dollars for a rifle, and a bit more for a scope.

GCrank1, I will look at the Trading Post.

To all those I failed to see are either active duty or veterans of the military service, than you so much for your service in the defense of our country, and for keeping us free from those who would try to subjugate us.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley View Post
R
Hopefully I will settle on one scope and rifle for my first setup, and that will make me happy for a long time. It sure does look like I will have to spend at least a few hundred more dollars for a rifle, and a bit more for a scope.
Caley, let me issue to you a warning that will be contrary to lots of good ideas you've read here.

Above, you are exhibiting drift from your original goals.

I did this once with spotting scopes. I just needed something that would allow me to see holes rather than walk downrange. When I looked at $80 scopes, I saw lots of ads for $400 scopes. I read some reviews, and a couple of writers had $2000 scopes they really liked. I wonder what the best scopes are? They go for $$$$$$.

Then I went back to reviews and found that this Vortex scope had great quality, and it was only $500! But $500 isn't what I wanted to spend. I bought a $60 scope and it works great.

I've wondered my way into things I didn't need in exactly the way I describe above. Set reasonable goals. Set a budget to get there. If your research turns up something that busts your budget that you must have, so be it, but at least you had a map before you started your journey.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:29 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
One thing I agree with is definitely take a look At the Mueller 8-32◊. It's a perfect scope for the type of shooting you plan on doing and it's probably the best qaulity in your budget for that type of magnification. Alot of people here use them.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
competition

Looks like the range has made up a competition that is unique (non standard) Looks like fun. I'm going to suggest a combo that will meet the requirements for several standard .22 matches.( CMP sporter, NRL22, silhouette, and maybe sporter class Benchrest) Tikka T1x or CZ tacticool stocked 452, 455, or 457 with a Weaver v-16 scope or v-24. They show up used for a little over $200 regularly. You will eventually want more than a 9x scope. Until then leave it zoomed down. I have these and have used them in said matches and the new Tikka is outstanding.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:10 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mueller Scope

660, Yes, I found this scope on Amazon, and probably will have the money sometime in October. I won't know what kind of rings to get until I make the rifle purchase. That will be a while, as you know, I am waiting on the ponderous system in California to get things done.

A friend of mine, a former Marine, suggested I visit the special order desk at the Marine Corp Exchange when it comes to a rifle. He said to ask if they can get the rifle I choose, and if they can, I probably won't pay as much as off base, and not pay the State tax that is over 8 percent. And knowing California, they probably charge an environmental fee or some crazy fee. California charges fees on just about everything you purchase from a store like Home Depot. I heard they are considering a fee that would allow us to breathe.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can get them for $180 on eBay, Amazon Mizugiwa30 mm medium rings for the CZ or the 30 mm lowTac Vector rings for a 1022 or something with a rail . $8 and $13 respectively. You can spend more, but only you will know the difference.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shop Around

OK, Thanks, I will shop around to find the lower prices. I'm just used to finding just about everything I need at Amazon.

Like I said, I won't know what rings to get until I purchase the rifle. Apparently the mounting tracks on the rifle are not standard from brand to brand. As I understand it, there is the 11mm type, and a wider type. The Mueller scope requires 30mm rings. There are so many brands out there, I am sure I can find something that will work.

My problem is I have only been at this rifle thing for about three weeks or so, so I am still trying to learn from the ground up. Never had to know a thing about the weapons I fired in the Air Force, other than knowing how to take them apart, clean them, and put them back together, and of course, how to safely handle and fire them.

I really doubt I will ever be a fanatic about firearms. This target shooting is something I really wanted to do for years, but just didn't do. After finding out I was basically going to kick the bucket if I didn't get a heart valve replacement, I decided I need to treat myself to some items people might put on their bucket list. It has been a little over 12 weeks since my heart surgery, and so far I am having some fun with those bucket list items.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:38 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Caley,

The 457 Varmint is a new model so I would look up some reviews and utube videos. The layout of that gun would be very good for general use and bench use + walnut is nicer looking than the black stocks on the tacticool. If you can find a CZ 452 varmint in 22 long rifle it would be my first choice but they are hard to find because they have been out of production 10 years. The 457 will be something you can just order but know the 455s are still available as far as I can tell. The 455 Varmint models are probably still available. The new 457 has some features to cater to American shooters like traditional thumb safety. The 452 and 455 have a safety at the rear of the bolt that locks the sear and is a very good design for safety but it's the reverse of what most Americans usually see. For you I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference as it will be your one 22. If the 457 tickles your fancy, I'd feel comfortable saying you should shop prices between shops in your area. There is a lot of variation dealer to dealer as they all set their margin of profit. Big metro areas tend to charge the most. As far as scopes go, you can put a $100 scope on the gun and shoot very small groups at 50 yards. You will be fine with a top end of 9x for 50 yards but will probably need 12x to 16x magnification to be competitive at 100 yards. rc
Old 08-20-2019, 03:26 AM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
At the expense of sounding negative, think you'll be hard pressed to find a pre-assembled 22lr target rifle in the $500 range.

Most factory target rifles are in the $1,000~$1,100 range these days

Please Note: The following list assumes that it's legal for residents of the Peoples Republic of Communist California to import firearms into that country.

Here's KIDD's line-up.. KIDD Custom Barreled Actions & Complete Rifles - as you can see, just a barreled action will set you back close to a nickle by the time you add in shipping & transfer costs.

Here's TacSol's line-up.. X-Ring VR .22LR Open Sight Rifle - I have an X-Ring rifle (not done yet) + several X-Ring barrels on home built target rifles, excellent shooters.

Tactical Innovations.. got into the target rifle game bout a year ago using parts they were already manufacturing & selling.

Here's they're Hogue stocked offerings Elite22 10/22 Compatible Rifles or Magpul stocked.. Elite22 10/22 Compatible Rifles
Also have southpaw offerings in case your a lefty like me.

Honestly don't know anything about the build quality & accuracy of those rifles. Maybe somebody else can help out with that.

In most states it's legal to purchase firearms online so long as buyers follow one simple step.
You need to find a FFL dealer (gunshop, pawn shop, etc) in your area who will receive the firearm on your behalf & transfer it to you.
Most online dealers/sellers maintain an extensive list of FFL dealers across America, check GunBroken.com

Example..
I recently purchased a 10/22 takedown from CDNN Sports.
Called them and said I want purchase a rifle & have an FFL who will do the transfer.

I had already called my FFL, so they were aware of the planned purchase.
At the time I placed the order I gave CDNN my FFL's info during the checkout process.

CDNN contacted my FFL for verification & I sent them a USPS MO.
Once they received the MO they shipped the rifle to my FFL dealer & sent me an e-mail with tracking info.

Once my FFL dealer received rifle, I went there, filled out the form 4473 & they did the NICS background check, Cost = $30

Sorry for the long winded post, hope the info helps.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most factory target guns are not in the $1000 range. Maybe the ones you like are, but youíre not a novice. But he can buy heavy barreled Savages, Marlins, Rugers, CZs all good guns for a novice for $500 or less. And donít make fun of California when you live in its Northern Suburbs! Cause Oregon is closer to mind control than you realize

So stop trying to scare the new kids!