Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:46 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

I do agree that there are multiple rifles available in that $400 range especially if they are missing the original target sights. I have bought multiple for that amount or less over the last 2 years, H&R m12, Winchest 52preA`s but watch for the dreaded crack, Walther Sportmodell, even a Springfield 1922 and more. None of these shot poorly. You just have to really keep your eyes open but first as mentioned before really figure out what type of shooting you want to do. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
$500 could be tough to build a 10/22 if you want a semi, if you want a bolt; an old anschutz 64 match might be able to still be had for that. CZs and savages, and the tikkas could be had for that budget new. also depends on what you want for accuracy, adjustable AO would be needed on your optic. also, ammo will be very important. you might be able to put together a good 10/22 with used parts. just depends on what you want. welcome to the asylum!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome and thank you for your service. 22 LR are a totally different animal from air guns and can get you out to 100 with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The gun your choose really depends on the level of accuracy you want to achieve and if you are interested in competition or just having fun. A ruger 10/22 is hard to beat for recreational use and based on your experience with military arms you'll enjoy a semi auto. If you want a bolt action precision rifle that will shoot much tighter groups with any ammo out of the box, I think you should look at the CZ455 "tacticool" or a 455 Varmint. I'm not convinced the CZ457 is "better". There are more expensive precision rifles but you are unlikely to be able to do any better than a CZ for accuracy under $500. The nice thing about a Ruger 10/22 is that you can get one most places, they are cheap, reliable and should be more accurate than your airgun. 1 to 2 inches at 50 yards and 3 to 5 inches at 100 will be possible. Ammo will make a big difference with some lots doing much better than others. With the 10/22 you'll have the option of many aftermarket options including military style peep sights, red dots and scopes. If you are most interested in shooting long range you may also consider 17hmr but 22 LR is the cheaper caliber to shoot. If you enjoy handguns, you may also want to look at a 22 target pistol like a buckmark camper or Ruger Mark IV. If you like revolvers the SP101 or GP100 in 22 LR might be something to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Seeing as you have plenty of time before you can buy a rifle you should spend some time here reading up on all the different rifle models, types of shooting, scopes, and ammo. This is probably the best place in the world for rimfire info. The 10/22 and CZ forums are where you will probably find the most information. We can all give you recommendations but everyone here has different taste, prefer different styles of pretty much everything, and are at different levels of rimfire shooting. I think narrowing your decision down to a few different rifles, scopes, etc will make it easier for people to give you a more thorough answer on any questions you may have. Welcome and good luck.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:09 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley View Post
I really appreciate all of your suggestions.

I haven't a clue what Parallax is, but will have to Google to find out.

I am a bit farther behind the curve than I thought about getting a California Firearms Permit. It seems my regular drivers license is not good enough anymore. I had to make an appointment (end of next month) with the local DMV to obtain a federal compliant D/L, which means I have to bring a ton of documentation to prove who I am. What is bad, is I am former military, and if I do not get this new type D/L, I won't be able to get aboard the 29 Palms Marine Base, once 2020 rolls around. It's almost like I am going to be treated as an illegal alien. Wonder if Trump will try to deport me. I was born in Washington State, and served 24 years in the Air Force, so that kind of attempt would not go well for any government agency.

So it looks like I will be waiting until at least the end of October, if the DMV accepts my documentation to get a Federally compliant D/L, and then probably another month before I can get a Firearms Permit. And there is a little caveat that the DMV web pages stated, that being that even if you have all your documentation, they can still deny you your D/L. Wonderful!!!

So it might be next year before I can get all this done. Gads!!!
Caley, as your fellow retired AF member, I am just appalled that you have to through all this garbage, it is simply criminal to treat any American citizen like that. Folks out here in the flyover states find it hard to comprehend that people have to live under such oppression.

Try to get your hands on a CZ and try it out, price/quality ratio is hard to beat. Stay on the board here , ask questions,, remember there are no dumb questions.

No need to Google, just ask here first.
Glad to have you aboard.

Last edited by jnyork; 08-18-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:32 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Caley, as I said in an earlier post, look and see what they are shooting where you plan to shoot. Ignore all this "this is best" stuff. None of us know what you are planing to do. A position rifle is different from a bench rest rifle. A scope for a position rifle is different than a scope for a bench rest rifle. A rifle for shooting tin cans may meet your needs or it may not. Looks and see what those where you plan to shoot are shooting.

Parallax is the effect whereby the position or direction of the object appears to differ when viewed from different positions. What does all that mean? It means if you are going to be doing serious target shooting you need a telescopic sight which can be adjusted to match the distance you are shooting from if you hope to have the best performance. Here again, look at what the people are shooting where you plan to shoot. Some disciplines parallax really isn't an issue, some such as .22 bench rest it is pretty significant.

During the period of time you are waiting go observe some more and talk to those shooting. I am not a world class shooter but I've shot competition rimfire for more than 60 years, included in that time I was the small arms project officer at two Air Force bases when they had base level teams. I've bought rifles in your price range, but they all were traded in for more accurate rifles after short periods of time. You get what you pay for IMO.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Competition

Guys, somehow I think you read something into what I wrote, and got the idea I might be going in two directions. Not the case. I know I cannot handle those heavy rifles the younger people are shooting at the Olympics and ISSF competitions. Gosh, my eyes cannot even see the center of the targets through those sights they use.

I am interested in what the local public range is putting on when it comes to competitions. Here's their link http://www.hdrgc.org/riflematch.html
I would be falling into the 22 RIMFIRE "LONG RIFLE" CALIBER RIFLES comp. It seems they don't seem to have any rules weeding out certain types of these rifles. I believe there are NRA type competitions which have specific rules about what rifles are allow and not, in the 22 Rimfire. This is the type rifle I wish to obtain, though, with the California and Federal bureaucracy it will take me time before I have the permit to purchase one.

This local competition allows for older people like myself, age 69 (myself) to compete against younger people, by allowing use to choose any of the three positions, or sitting on a bench. We can use a prop for the front of our rifle, though I tend to like supporting the front with my cupped hand. It's just from my memories of the way I had to fire the M-16 back in my military days. It feels natural to me.

So I am not trying to go out in different directions. My goal is to eventually purchase that .22LR Rimfire Rifle to do target shooting initially. Once I am comfortable with it, and am satisfied I can handle it in a competition environment, then I may try competition. But for now, it will just be for fun target practice.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:47 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My recommendations...

The rules you linked:
.22 RIMFIRE "LONG RIFLE" CALIBER RIFLES
ANY SIGHTS (METALLIC OR SCOPES) AND ANY TYPE ACTION MAY BE USED.
Competitor may use any of the following positions - Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, Prone or From the Bench. Sandbags may be used under the rifle forend only, mechanical rests may not be used.
Course of Fire:
Category 1 will fire 20 record shots on A-23 targets at 50 yards, 4 times.
Category 2 will fire 10 record shots on TQ-4 targets at 100 yards, 4 times. There will be a sighter target and a 20 minute firing period each time.
======================
Buy a CZ Lux, which will have sights on it, but more importantly, will have the European stock which allows your head to be in a more natural position when shooting. Get high rings so the scope clears the iron sight. Quick attach/detach mounting combination and a 3-9x scope with duplex reticle, very common and inexpensive. With luck, you can have the cross hairs on at 50 yards and the bottom of the duplex on at 100 yards. And it will always have a good resale value.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:59 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
And plan to use the seated benched position with a front sandbag. That will probably reduce your group size by at least half.
Hits are better than misses and so are good scores/groups vs poor scores/groups.
Dont handicap yourself by not using the best/most secure position allowed.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:19 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ Rifle

Hi Gents. I've been looking around for something that suits my odd tastes. Yeah, I like things that look nice, at least to my own tastes. I found this, that seems to be designed exactly for the purpose I want. It has colour. :-)

https://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/malo...evolution.html

That would mean, if this is at least adequate for target shooting purposes, I would need to come up with a scope that will let me shoot up to 100 yards. 100 yards is just the extreme end. My main goal is 50 yard target shooting, which I believe this rifle should be capable of.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:30 AM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
First thing I would do is get out of the republic, then your brain will clear up
Old 08-19-2019, 01:04 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not crazy about the stock on that model. If you look at the tacticool I suggested it has a very vertical grip angle very similar to the evolution but it has a more traditional forarm which I think you might like better long term. If you want a "light rifle" capable of good accuracy the CZ American models are nice.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 08-19-2019, 01:34 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley View Post
Hi Gents. I've been looking around for something that suits my odd tastes. Yeah, I like things that look nice, at least to my own tastes. I found this, that seems to be designed exactly for the purpose I want. It has colour. :-)

https://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/malo...evolution.html

That would mean, if this is at least adequate for target shooting purposes, I would need to come up with a scope that will let me shoot up to 100 yards. 100 yards is just the extreme end. My main goal is 50 yard target shooting, which I believe this rifle should be capable of.
Yes thatís a cz 455 varmint in an evo stock.it will work perfectly for your stated needs. The stock is popular with the run and gun crowd, cause itís lighter but it will take a bipod . Not going to work on a bag or a front rest, as the forearm is too short. And any options of using pressure pads to deresonate/ tune the barrel are gone. But a bipod is a good choice for casual target punching. I donít like pistol grips on a bench gun cause I shoot pistols and muscle memory takes over and I squeeze the grip too hard , bad for accuracy. But thatís me.

Again , I push the Mueller 8x32 scope, under $200 and perfect for casual paper punching
Old 08-19-2019, 04:22 AM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is Why I Ask for Help

Figures I pick something not suited. I wonder if this might be better. It is a plain regular looking rifle. https://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/malo...7-varmint.html

Frankly, with the amount of this type of rifle out on the market, my never having considered a firearm before, makes it pretty much impossible to pick out something that will work.

CZ seems to be a very popular brand, but I just do not know which one of the current models would be a good target rifle.

Then there is the same problem with scopes. There are so many out there. But I can't afford expensive ones, which pretty much eliminates anything over 9X

For those of you wondering why I am still up typing, just do not ever get neurological problems. I have restless leg syndrome, as well as lots of very painful false pains in my legs. Sometimes the pain is almost debilitating.

But enough of my own attempts to locate a suitable rifle and scope. I will just wait for you kind gentlemen to list some possibles, so I can look and see if I can afford them in my lifetime.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buy American!

https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...eets/8329.html