Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 AM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggestions for .22LR Target Rifle

I started out recently with .177 pellet rifles, and yesterday was able to make it to the local public outdoor shooting range to learn safety, and how to zero in on the target. People there were totally wonderful helping out someone that doesn't shoot powder weapons. I also was able to make the rifle competition last Saturday at that same public range. Between the two outings, I have come to the conclusion that while air rifles are tons of fun, they are basically more expensive, in the long run than air rifles. One of those cost reasons is the amount of support equipment for PCP air rifles.

The local public shooting range puts on competitions. Most were firing Rimfire .22LR rifles of various makes and models. Apparently there is such a diversity of these rifles, that there were several categories where their shooters got recognition for their efforts during the dompetition.

Now, down to brass knuckles. I am former Air Force, 24 years, and therefore do have some experience with firearms. I have shot the M-16, of course, but also shot the M-2. The M-2 was used for qualifying simply because the Vietnam War necessitated that most of the M-16's went to that conflict. I also shot the .38 revolver. In both cases, I qualified as Expert. I was unfortunately not good enough for the Marksman ribbon.

I am interested in just paper Target practice and possibly competition, if I ever can group my shots into anything the size of a silver dollar at 25 yards. I almost accomplished that with my air rifle yesterday. But I eventually want to extend the range to 50 yards, and eventually 100 yards, but no farther.

With the totally confusing number of brands and models of these firearms, I am now having to come to the experts online. I have tried to figure out what I would like to obtain, once I get my firearms permit here in California. Seems California makes it very difficult to do anything that is fun nowadays. I'm surprised there isn't a permit required to breathe. :-)

So, based on my desire to shoot at paper targets, eventually at 100 yards, does anyone have a suggestion on a .22LR Rimfire Rifle? As basically a beginner again (away for firearms for 30 years), I do not wish to spend tons of money. I hope there is a beginner rifle for under $500. I will also need a scope, and hopefully something under $250.

And I need to ask a question about ammo. Air Rifles, seem to be finicky about ammo. It seems you can have two rifles of the same brand and model. But one of those rifles will like Brand X, Type A pellets, while the other will be happy only with Brand B, Type B pellets. Are these .22LR rimfire rifles any different?

I know I was wordy, but I thought a little of my background would be helpful in trying to suggest something for me. There is no rush, as I do not have a permit yet. I go see the store owner, a deputy sheriff, and former US Marine, tomorrow to get his assistance with both the permit, and the safety class requirement. I figure that will probably take a month from tomorrow to the day I receive my permit.

I won't have the cash until around Christmas, so the rifle will be a present to myself.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC! You will probably get more advice than you imagined from people who will cheerfully encourage you to spend more money than you want.

I have multiple 22 bolt action rifles, including Marlins, Rugers, CZs, and Tikka. But, I am not a competitive shooter, and most of my shooting has been done at 50 yards, so keep that in mind when considering my suggestions.

Based on several years of shooting results with multiple types of ammo, I've concluded that my CZ 452s and Tikka T1x are the most consistently accurate within your price range. All of those cost about $400 when purchased. The 452 American was $369 new a couple years ago, although I did find one new-in-box recently at a local gun store for $410. My older 452 Full Stock was bought used a few years back for $425, and is my overall most accurate rifle, but I doubt you'll find one for anywhere near that price now. My Tikka T1x is only a few months old and was $419. Any of those three would make an excellent platform for range work. At 50 yards, those three rifles shoot almost the same, with minor variations between them depending on ammo type. The 452 models were discontinued by CZ, and replaced by the 455 series, which has since been replaced with the 457 series. Although I have one of the 457 Americans ($425), I have not had many opportunities to shoot it and collect data on target results, so offer no recommendation on it yet. You can read about all of these specific models in their respective sub-forums here on RFC.

I will defer to others regarding scopes, with this one caveat. Get a scope with adjustable parallax, usually designated as either AO. SF, or EFR by the vendors. It will make a difference when shooting at variable distances. Most of my scopes are either 2-7 power, without AO, or 3-9 power, with AO. That is fine for informal target shooting, but even then 9 power is showing its limits at 50 yards. It is easy to find more powerful scopes with AO, the challenge is finding a quality scope in your price range. I'll leave that to others.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:49 PM
OldNeatStuff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yesterday I was at the range and the fellow along side of me was shooting a .22 air rifle. I don't know anything about them, after a little talking he let me try it. That was a bit of a different feeling. So I offered him a go at my 455 Varmint .22lr with a old Weaver 4x16 Grand Slam scope with no other mods, and I told him it had a VERY light trigger. After about 5 or 6 rounds he couldn't wipe the smile off his face, he shot a group about the size of a quarter. I should say we were shooting his rifle at 25 yards, and mine at 50 yards. His comment was I think I should look into one of these. Sooo just saying these CZ's are the way to go. Oh yea if you get 1 you may find you need another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Welcome aboard Caley! I won't make a specific recommendation, you'll get plenty of those. I'll just say that for your purpose and price range you should have no problem finding a rimfire rifle that fits your needs.

Don't give up on the air rifle either. They are excellent platforms to practice and improve shooting basics such as breathing, sight picture, and trigger control.

Just remember to keep having fun

Frank
Old 08-18-2019, 01:46 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You will receive lots of advice on brands, price, etc.

My advice is spend enough to get a quality rifle, intended for target shooting, to begin with. They come in many brands, from a low in the range you specified to $5,000+. The best place to go for advice is at the range where you observed people shooting. Shop for what you see being shot in the matches you observed.

The second piece of advice is you need to spend at least twice your budget on the scope. Buy a good scope that is adjustable for parallax. A good rule of thumb is plan to spend an amount on the scope that equals the amount you spend on the rifle.

The third piece of advice is recognize from the beginning that the more expensive ammunition shoots better than the cheaper stuff. Again, observe what the people at the range are shooting in the matches you are interested in.

Good Luck form another AF vet.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:49 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Greetings! I am usually way down the line, or everyone has already covered what I would say anyway. Rifles! Lordy there are many which would make you an excellent paper puncher. I think, since you have Commifornia paper work (ugh) to go through, visit the range and talk with the guys and gals there. See what they are shooting: good, bad and indifferent. I would bet all, or most, would give you a chance to shoot their rifles. That would give you an opportunity to experience form and function.

Just as with air rifles [I shoot a Gamo] different mfr.s's weapons will feel different. I look at some of the PCB air rifles shot in England and the cost of them are out of my league. But they are really exceptional quality.

I am not a well heeled so none of my rifles are particularly expensive. I have everything from CZ99's made by Zastava in Serbia, to a couple CZ's - a 452 American and a Silhouette, a Savage MkIIg, and then Henry's and Browning's which are not bolt actions. I love them all!

But, back to your qualifications for a good shooter. My best shooter is one of my least expensive rifles. A Zastava CZ99 imported by Remington and sold as a Remington Mdl Five. I have shot 100-7X NRA 50 ft. targets at 25 yd.s from the bench with a bipod and rear bag. I have a second Zastava I bought at Cabella's a few years ago for $150 that is almost as good. My CZ 452 and Silhoutte are nearly as good. And on a good day, as good as, all the way out to 50 yd.s. MOA or close to it. My Savage MKIIg makes a great squirrel rifle, but it isn't quite as accurate as the others. Still a great rifle for $250 or less.

I use a lot of Mueller scopes. Most have either the side knob parallax adjustment [preferred] or the adjustable AO. The Mueller's go up to 18x AO. I also have a Nikon 3x9 EFR (AO) target dot on the Mdl Five. Terrific scope. I can see the holes at 50 yd.s easily, but 14X would be better. One of my Mueller's is a 6x18 AO, but I have that on my Savage 17HMR. Very nice scope. My oldest of the .22 bolts is my Savage MKIIg which is adorned with a BSA Sweet22 3x9. It has never lost zero in the 10 or 11 years I have had it. And I have an Oculus 4x14 side adj. (Bass Pro brand) and a Hi Lux 4x16 side adj on a couple others.

You can decide what you see and like the best. There are lots of choices, and really none that are bad.

VH
Old 08-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 Rifle

For your stated purposes, I would stick with a bolt action rifle. As mentioned earlier, the CZ rifles do tend to be quite accurate but some of the current Tika and Savage, etc. guns are also. My most accurate bolt action .22 is an old (1955-58) Anschutz that I bought off of Gunbroker a few months ago. The new Anschutz rifles tend to be very pricey but the older models can usually be found at fairly reasonable prices. If you want a semi-auto rifle, then look at some Ruger 10/22 Target models with the 20" bull barrel. They are very accurate, affordable and usually very reasonably priced. Happy hunting!
Old 08-18-2019, 01:59 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMHO, go buy a CZ 455 or 457 Varmint, which ever is cheaper. On the 455 youíll have to buy a spring kit , the 457 has an adjustable trigger. Buy a Mueller 8x32 scope, Target reticle has fine cross hairs , mil dot has dots. Buy a set of 30 mm rings dovetail rings . Buy a Caldwell Tackdriver shooting bag rest and a rear bag. Buy a bunch of CCI SV. 40 grain round nose, and targets , I like the the two inch sticky reactive ones. Have fun.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (148)
One word of advice. Most of us on here have been shooting way lponger than most Marines. Nothing against them at all, but most of them never had a firearm in their hands until they entered boot camp. Many of us have been shooting since we were kids. Listen to those here on advice. If you are serious, spend the money on a good rifle. If you want something to play with, an H&R or for a little more money, a 40X might be the way to go, but there are other, much better shooting rifles out there. The only limit is your wallet.

Me... I would not choose any from the first reply as a target rifle, which is what you aksed about. All of those are sporting rifles. You need something heavier and with a wide stock to shoot target, that is if BR style is what your after. I have built 10/22's that wad out a tiny hole at 50 yards, so that might be another way to go, but do not skimp on the parts. Go KIDD all the way. You can set one on an Anschutz style stock and punch paper all day with no problems.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Everyone

I really appreciate all of your suggestions.

I haven't a clue what Parallax is, but will have to Google to find out.

I am a bit farther behind the curve than I thought about getting a California Firearms Permit. It seems my regular drivers license is not good enough anymore. I had to make an appointment (end of next month) with the local DMV to obtain a federal compliant D/L, which means I have to bring a ton of documentation to prove who I am. What is bad, is I am former military, and if I do not get this new type D/L, I won't be able to get aboard the 29 Palms Marine Base, once 2020 rolls around. It's almost like I am going to be treated as an illegal alien. Wonder if Trump will try to deport me. I was born in Washington State, and served 24 years in the Air Force, so that kind of attempt would not go well for any government agency.

So it looks like I will be waiting until at least the end of October, if the DMV accepts my documentation to get a Federally compliant D/L, and then probably another month before I can get a Firearms Permit. And there is a little caveat that the DMV web pages stated, that being that even if you have all your documentation, they can still deny you your D/L. Wonderful!!!

So it might be next year before I can get all this done. Gads!!!
Old 08-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheek Rest

I mentioned in my introduction about firing my Daisy Avanti 753 air rifle at the local public shooting range. I realized last night that one reason why I may have been less accurate than I thought I would be was because I could not place my cheek on the rifle stock consistently. I would imagine not being able to do so would make tiny differences in the way you are looking through the scope.

I believe I have found something I can adapt to help me consistently put my eye in the same place each time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEIBZJO...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Apparently it has multiple pads you can use to adjust the height, and I would imagine you can adjust the pad forward or back to get you in the correct focus. I do not want one of these that you have to drill holes in the stock in order to mount. I really want my rifle to maintain its looks.

I do hope that this cheek rest will allow me to be pretty consistent on where I put my head. I have to take my head off the stock each time I open the bolt, set the safety, cock the rifle, put a pellet in the breach, then slide the bolt forward, and finally sight the target, and take the safety off, in order to shoot another pellet. That is the procedure written in the rifles guide, and I would imagine it is probably the same for any single shot rifle. Just means I need to concentrate on placing my head in the exact position it was previously, which is probably not possible. Just need it to be closer than this past Friday where I was up and down, and left and right of target center
Old 08-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anshutz

Gizzy, A lot of my interest is because I watched Olympic and ISSF 10 meter rifle competition. Those rifles are really nice. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money for a PCP air rifle. And for .22LR rifles, I cannot afford that brand either, nor Walther, or any other of the high end built specifically for target competition. Even the used versions I have seen online are way above my wallet.

One of the competitors for last Saturday's competition was a lady who had a European built rifle. It cost her about $800. I believe most of it was composite, and painted in a wonderful blue and silver color. I can't remember the brand she mentioned because of the very loud noise from the rifles. But it wasn't one of the main top European manufacturers. All I remember is the brand name started with an S. If I had to spend a bit more, then that is probably the rifle I would choose.

But for now, I am not going to compete for a while. I need lots of training just to remember how to set up, relax, and properly fire the weapon. I had a hard enough time with the tiny up and down movement that I imagine was caused by my own pulse.

Anyway, I am going to continue with my air rifle this coming Friday at 25 yards, to try to get my scope perfectly centered. The following week I will move to the 50 yard targets, and stay there, again getting the scope adjusted. I believe my pellet rifle is effective to about that range, than falls off quickly.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:04 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Caley, what type of shooting you do will help decide what to buy.

Caley, in your first post you say "I am interested in just paper Target practice and possibly competition" My thoughts here to help you with your thinking. You will have two basically different types of target practice and either can be made into competition.

Us old people have drifted to sitting at a bench with the rifle supported by a rest or bi-pod. Scope and iron sight competition exists and you can read about the matches here on RFC. These rifles can be, but are not required to be, heavy. Most tend to be bolt action.

Younger folks often take part in position shooting of one form or another. And include relatively passive shooting and action shooting. Again, you can find matches here on RFC. These rifles are usually lighter and have a mix of semi-auto, pump, lever, bolt actions.

A light rifle is more easily used in all games than a heavy one. Just my opinion. And while I am at it, let me suggest you are beginning what could be a slippery slope resulting in you buying multiple rifles.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:15 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Welcome to the obsession!
An air rifle, even yours though not a pcp, is marvelous practice. Yours is an advantage over a spring-piston air rifle, btw. If you can do well with it you will have much of the fundamentals down for decent 22 rim fire.
Many of us are getting off the gun between shots. About the only way not to is to shoot a semi-auto, but I dont recommend one for you as a target gun. It is not that they cant be accurate it is because to be so you will have to spend far above your budget.
But 'target gun' for what 'Target Game'? There are Sooo many games...... Find out what matches are being shot at your range that really interest you, hang out with them, ask questions (when they AINT shooting!), even get to try some of the guns and practice targets. Most real shooters welcome helping sincere and polite inquiry.
Because you have to define What You Want The Gun To Be Competitive In to be able to know what to shop for. Btw, it is not unusual to find someone in the game you want to shoot in that is upgrading his/her equipment so you might get a gun suitable right there. The caveat for that is dont buy the Wrong Gun from someone NOW buying the right gun for the game! Research and questions to those on the line will be invaluable.
The forced wait may be a huge blessing for you, use the time wisely.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It is hard to get a really good target rifle for $500.

The CMP Kimber 82G comes to mind.

Decent target rifles arenít cheap.

A used Remington 40X would be our of your price range, but a good value.

There are different competitions with sporting rifles that may be more to you liking. Maybe even silhouette competition.