Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:27 PM
824tsv
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marvel Precision Unit#2

I'm back as promised with a review of the "New" Marvel Unit#2's from Marvel Precision. I've only had this a week, but I have over 300 rounds through it so far and I really like it. This Unit#2 is called "The Practical", a round top "Government Model" is also available. The Practical has a flat top with scallops cut into the rib. Fit and finish is perfect. It's a matte black non reflective finish with the barrel being polished. The "New" in the Unit#2's is a replaceable steel insert the sits in the right side of the slide stop notch which makes all new Unit#2's lock-back on a empty magazine. The insert prevents wear to the all aluminum slide. The previous generation of the Unit#2 did not lock back on a empty magazine. Also, the extractor cut out on the barrels are now heat treated.
Right out of the box and installed on my (pictured) Norinco M1911A1 lower, it shot extremely well using CCI-SV ammunition while fitted with the standard #8 pound recoil spring. The included poly magazine works perfectly but I prefer to use metal GSG magazines which function perfectly in both my Unit#1 and this new Unit#2. The Champion rear sight is a basic clone of the Bomar/Kensight style. It has 2 small round divots in the rear of the blade that would certainly benefit with white dots, but a white dot rear blade is not offered. This would be my only complaint so far. The optional red fibre optic front sight is quite easy to see. I'm going to see if I can fill the round divots with white nail polish. Accuracy is very good. Not quite the accuracy of the Unit#1 but certainly no slouch either. The 4.8" barrel clamps to the slide stop like the Unit#1. I shot this target last night at 20 yards using CCI-SV ammunition and it functioned without a hic-up. With skilled hands and a white dot rear sight I think the groups can be tightened up, but at 61 with failing eyesight this is the best I can do so far without the aid of a optic. I'll update this post with further range visits.

Last edited by 824tsv; 08-16-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-17-2019, 11:57 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
marvel

thanks keep us updated. I really need to get one of those as i love shooting pistols
Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The key to the much improved accuracy of the Unit #1 over the Unit #2, in a large part, is the design differences. The Unit #1 has the barrel and the sights fixed to the frame and only the bolt moves in recoil. The Unit #2 has the barrel fixed to the frame and the sights ride with the slide in recoil. All the match grade guns use this design of the Unit #1 for best accuracy.

The Unit #1 is so good that there are bullseye competitors that use it and swear by it. The only draw back is the trigger for a 1911 needs a serious trigger job to get the most out of the conversion unit.

I prefer to identifyl the Unit #1 as the Bullseye conversion and the Unit #2 as the Tactical Practice conversion (or plinking version). I love my Unit #1. It rides on a dedicated RIA frame with all internals replaced with match grade parts including a tuned trigger.

LDBennett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 06:01 PM
VASCAR2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice Marvels you have there. I have a Advantage Arms Standard 1911 kit mated to a RIA frame and I really enjoy shooting it. I think Marvel was wise to incorporate a slide lock into his design. I canít shoot good enough anymore to get the most out of the Unit 1 Target version but I might be forced into an optic with my fading eye sight.

Thanks for posting!
Old 10-01-2019, 09:31 AM
824tsv
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An update is in order on the Unit#2. I painted the divots on the rear blade with white Testors model paint and that has helped the sight picture and my accuracy greatly. I'm approaching the 2000 round mark and the Unit#2 functions perfectly. I'm very happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2214.jpg (414.7 KB, 1 views)