Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:03 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Antique (?) shotgun cleaning kits

Does anyone on RFC collect these things, or know about them?

I don't know anything about them except that the current offerings sold in the stores, packaged in plastic blisters, loaded skinny rods, don't look anything like this one.

I assume it is a genuine antique, and may be collectable. It is in a red metal box (13 &1/2 x 1 & 1/2 x 4 & 1/2) with rounded corners. The lid is marked "Revelation" (I have never heard of that brand) shotgun cleaning kit for .410. If someone wants to know the details I can inventory the contents. I found it in an antique store in Maquoketa that is closing down and it was dirt cheap even before the close-out discounts.

Anybody?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Think Ive got one, or part of one stashed deep in the gun room. It was too cheap to pass up, maybe free.....another one of those 'Got one iffn I ever need it' things. Im a sucker for old tools
Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Early rods were often medal with a loop for your finger on one end and fixed opening to attach rag material at the other. I assume after dumping boiling water down the barrel they were just for wiping and oiling down.

I have a wood rod from my grandfather and it had a mop like you see on aluminum rods today. I'm sure there is a variety of antique cleaning stuff but it's probably more rare than the guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
"Revelation" I think was a store brand name used by Gambles or Montgomery Ward.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dufferDave,

When I was a youngster, we had a Western Auto store in our small town. They sold some of their items under the Revelation name/brand.

I can remember they even sold a few firearms and ammo under their trade name of Revelation. The colors were black & read, I believe? I still have a few boxes of their .22 LR cartridges w/ their name on them.

Another small store, Gamble's, sold their ammo under the name of Hiawatha. I still have several boxes I've saved that cost me $0.88 a box, so I'm dating myself a LOT!

Do any of our senior members remember the old style 3 pc. wooden cleaning rods for shotguns? As I recall, they were screwed together w/ brass fittings? Ah, the good old days..!

Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 AM
M92pv4u

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alro41 View Post
"Revelation" I think was a store brand name used by Gambles or Montgomery Ward.
Western auto maybe i think we have one at work I'll try to get pictures.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittman View Post
Do any of our senior members remember the old style 3 pc. wooden cleaning rods for shotguns? As I recall, they were screwed together w/ brass fittings? Ah, the good old days..!

If it didn't get tossed the last time I 'tidied up' I may have one in a heavy cotton sack it came with.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mine is deep red, rounded corners, says 'Wards Hawthorne Cleaning Kit'.
No stuff in it
Old 08-17-2019, 06:15 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Interesting

It's kinda cool to me to remember all the retail places that used to sell guns and related supplies here in the good 'ol USA. And kinda sad to think how cowardly and politically correct most of them have become since.

Anyway, I'm not going to actually use this little kit, I don't collect them, I don't really need the thing at all. It was just too good a bargain to not buy (yes, I have an illness). Does anyone want it? It is going free to the first RFC'er (with more than 20 posts) who asks for it.

Let me know---
Old 08-17-2019, 11:17 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gcrank1,

I guess that metal box you have was made for Montgomery Wards - or as we used to call them, 'Monkey' Wards?

It's funny that years ago so many BIG companies sold firearms built w/ their name, but made by a regular gun company. I can remember when Sears, Roebuck and Co., sold shotgun shells w/ their name on the boxes, but made by Win. and Federal. My how things have changed, eh? (This was the pre-plastic shell era...1959ish...?)

I'm getting old, but still can remember smelling those old waxed paper hulls after firing one! I'm sure many on this Board can? I can still recall the pages of guns that were shown in the Sears catalog - before the GCA of '68. Memories...

Have a great remainder of the weekend to you all!
Old 08-18-2019, 01:41 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw: A short search online indicates that M. Wards appears to have began using the 'Hawthorne' branding on sporting goods in the early 1960's. It may have ended in the early 1970's. As useful as the i-net and search engines can be I am continually disappointed with search results from specific questions......
I will take you up on the offer Dave, if still available. I will PM you.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-18-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:29 PM
lasttombstone

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Been following this thread and with nothing better to do with a heat index of 100.....

This is pretty much all that is left of the cleaning kit I got Christmas 1958 with my Winchester 37 .410. My first gun and is now my primary turkey gun.

This is a rifle kit from a little later with both small and large bore aluminum rods.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:16 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, it's spoken for

It is headed to Wisconsin tomorrow.

And to think I just drove up there myself a week ago. Oh well, postage is cheap.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:31 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Iirc the weather here was more comfortable a week ago than what I saw in TX on the map. In late March and April when I used to motorcycle down it was the other way around . Had a job offer in Big D but didnt take it, regretted that for a long time.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferDave View Post
Does anyone on RFC collect these things, or know about them?

I don't know anything about them except that the current offerings sold in the stores, packaged in plastic blisters, loaded skinny rods, don't look anything like this one.

I assume it is a genuine antique, and may be collectable. It is in a red metal box (13 &1/2 x 1 & 1/2 x 4 & 1/2) with rounded corners. The lid is marked "Revelation" (I have never heard of that brand) shotgun cleaning kit for .410. If someone wants to know the details I can inventory the contents. I found it in an antique store in Maquoketa that is closing down and it was dirt cheap even before the close-out discounts.

Anybody?
I believe that was the old western auto gun name. I have one like you describe, but mine came from SEARS, jc Higgins. I got it in 1960 with my first shotgun, stevens 94 20 ga, I still use it. thick aluminum 3 piece rod, with large black "T" handle, screw in brush, mop tips. nice old cleaning kit. check e-bay , lots of kits for sale.